Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie that has local question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   avphileinky

avphileinky

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading this. I will be moving soon to a rural area that does not have cable in the area and will be getting DirecTV. I don't like my local CBS,ABC,NBC beacuse they interrupt broadcasting for every weather event within 100miles, car wrecks shootings and other local events. I was hoping that i would have the option of having "national" feeds from these 3 networks to avoid all the insignificant interruptions. Never using a satellite before is this a possibility?

Thanks,

Andrew

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Not a chance based on your ZIP code.

At 20 miles or so, you're covered with rabbit ears for everything except maybe WBKI.

#3 OFFLINE   avphileinky

avphileinky

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

My new zip code will be 40065, does that make any difference? I was hoping the original channels were still available prior to them offering local channels.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Nope, If D* has 'your' locals you can not qualify for DNS. Any request for a waiver will be denied.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

In order to get distant network service you essentially have to prove that you can't otherwise get your local channels via your chosen provider and over-the-air. You lose on both counts.

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading this. I will be moving soon to a rural area that does not have cable in the area and will be getting DirecTV. I don't like my local CBS,ABC,NBC beacuse they interrupt broadcasting for every weather event within 100miles, car wrecks shootings and other local events. I was hoping that i would have the option of having "national" feeds from these 3 networks to avoid all the insignificant interruptions. Never using a satellite before is this a possibility?

Thanks,

Andrew

Just to add to what others have posted. You'll still get those interuptions if you manage to get a DNS feed. Only difference is you get interrutions for events that are no where near you. Unfortunately, there are plenty of shootings/stabbings/bank robberies, fires/floods/snowstorms, car/train/plane/boat wrecks in New York & LA for them to interupt you with.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   avphileinky

avphileinky

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

Lol, Yeah i was hoping there were just east coast and west coast feeds i could get in lieu of a local feed. I can get my locals OTA if i want to see whats going on. It seems like every time i go to watch a CBS show, Survivor and Amazing race there is some local disruption.

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

You see, this is how this works...

Local Station spends big bucks to outshine their competition... heavy duty weather radar(s), helicopters, remote satellite broadcast trucks etc...

Then they have to justify the $$$ they spent so you get lots of coverage... meaningless coverage to many.

Of course, once one station spends the money to acquire these things.. the others must of course follow.

Local News=Big Bucks $$$$ for ads.

Thus, a thunderstorm becomes a major event, an idiot who stole a car and gets chased down the freeway becomes an event with watchers hoping the news helicopters will run into each other and the police helicopter trying to keep from getting hit by them.

High Technology isn't always a good thing!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   avphileinky

avphileinky

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Or when University of Kentucky hires John Callipari for 35million dollars and the local stations have to have helicopter coverage of his plane flying into the airport and watch him get off the plane and the ground crew interview the hundreds of people at the airport having a prep rally.

#10 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

You need to write your Federal Senate /House officials and complain. I did, didn't even get a reply, but maybe if enough people complain......
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...