In order to use Orb to stream DirecTV to your iPhone, you'll need the following...
1. Windows PC at home close to a DirecTV receiver/dvr (SD or HD). It needs to be at least a 2GHz P4 or greater running XP Media Center or Vista Home Premium/Ultimate. More System Requirements details at http://support.orb.c...equirements.htm
2. Media Center compatible TV tuner with built-in MPEG2 encoder and inputs for S-video and audio L/R. I'm using the external Hauppague WinTV-HVR-1950 USB tv tuner http://www.hauppauge...a_hvr1950.html
2. Media Center remote control with infrared receiver/IR blaster. You'll need the IR receiver/blaster in order to change channels on your DirecTV receiver through Orb. If you don't have one, these can be purchased from Amazon for $19.99 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.co...39073175&sr=8-3
3. Free Orb software for Windows. http://www.orb.com
4. Orb Live iPhone app. Available from the App Store for $9.99.
If you have a media center PC, like those by HP, you may already have the tv tuner and Media Center remote/infrared hardware. All you'll need to do is install the free Orb software and purchase the $10 iPhone app.
Connect your DirecTV receiver to the tv tuner using the S-Video and audio L/R outputs. And hook up the the IR blaster cable from the Media Center infrared receiver to the front of your DirecTV receiver where the IR sensor is located.
Before you launch the Orb Windows install, you'll first set up your tv tuner in Windows Media Center using the Settings > Set up TV Signal option, selecting the S-Video input and configuring the IR blaster to control your DTV receiver.
Once you have your tv tuner configured in Media Center, you then install Orb. You'll first create an Orb account and then go through the setup wizard for your tuner, selecting the set top box option with S-Video. Orb will automatically pick up the IR blaster configuration from Media Center. Finally you'll set up the program guide, entering your zip code and selecting the DirecTV option for your local area so it includes your locals in the guide.
Once you have Orb set up, you should be good to go. You'll be able to watch DirecTV from any PC by logging into mycast.orb.com with the account you created, or the iPhone app.
The Orb Live iPhone app lists all the DirecTV channels, even those you don't subscribe to. You can't remove the unwanted channels, but there is a better option. When you log in to Orb on a PC, you can set up your favorite tv channels by in the program guide by right-clicking a channel number and rating it 1 to 5 stars. You have access to your favorite tv channels list with the iPhone app. The channels you don't rate will not appear in the favorites. This lets you only list the channels you subscribe to. The channels you rate the highest will appear first in your favorites list.
The iPhone app doesn't have the complete program guide. It only shows what's currently playing on each channel. The new DirecTV iPhone app provides the program guide info I'll need to see what's coming up on each channel.
If you have any questions about using Orb to stream DirecTV, I'll be happy to answer them here. I also recommend going to http://forums.orb.com
If you're wondering what stand I'm using to hold my iPhone horizontally for ideal tv viewing, it's a $2.00 plastic easel I bought at a Joann's crafts store. Michaels also has them.
Edited by azcoyote85044, 07 April 2009 - 08:03 AM.