Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seeking opinions on sony's 2008 ES receiver lineup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

More specifically, the Sony STR-DA2400ES. Of course, im happy to hear about peoples experiences with the ES line in general. ive now decided to finally pony up for a mid ranged HDMI A/V receiver. ive been giving a serious look to the STR-DA2400ES. I like the fact that the ES series comes with a 5 year warranty for parts and labor compared to two for the STR series. So any imput would of course be appreciated. Sony Style has a 2 year no interest promo going on which is what peaked my interest in the first place.
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

There's a fairly extensive thread on this receiver over on AVSForum.com -- http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1056664

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   wmj5

wmj5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

does anybody know why when you use audio out on sony kdl-46Z4100 and go to dobly receiver when you change channels the picture is 2 or 3 sec. ahead of the sound?
directv since 1995
sony KDL-46Z4100 w/hdmi cable hookup
AUD9 slimline dish-H23-600 receiver
sony str-dg500 dvd & cd player
pc-dell dimension 8400 w/ 22" widescreen
flat panel ultrasharp hd monitor w/ adjustable stand

#4 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

There's a fairly extensive thread on this receiver over on AVSForum.com -- http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1056664

Thanks Cholly, im going to check it out. Anyone else who would like to chime in, please feel free to do so.
HR24-100

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

does anybody know why when you use audio out on sony kdl-46Z4100 and go to dobly receiver when you change channels the picture is 2 or 3 sec. ahead of the sound?

No, but it's probably adjustable, either at the TV or the receiver. But you really should not be using the output of the TV to feed sound to the receiver, as the TV will only output stereo. With the source devices connected directly to the AV receiver, you'll get surround capability, up to the maximum supported by the source component, AV receiver, and connection type.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

I have a 2006 ES model which works very well...but that said.

I've moved on to higher-end Onkyo units and seen even better performance.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

More specifically, the Sony STR-DA2400ES. Of course, im happy to hear about peoples experiences with the ES line in general. ive now decided to finally pony up for a mid ranged HDMI A/V receiver. ive been giving a serious look to the STR-DA2400ES. I like the fact that the ES series comes with a 5 year warranty for parts and labor compared to two for the STR series. So any imput would of course be appreciated. Sony Style has a 2 year no interest promo going on which is what peaked my interest in the first place.

i have it and it works great for what i have. i had another ES receiver that last 10 years.

#8 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my thread. I ended up going with the Sony STR-DG1200. Again, thanks!
HR24-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...