Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

First time DoD user downloading question, if I may

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

First time DoD user just got my LINKSYS WGA600N today and decided to get The Dark Knight in 1080p on channel 1100. It’s been downloading for 2 hours now and it’s at 14 percent, do downloads always take this long or is it because I’m getting the 1080p version.

Thanks
Rich

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Mainly because your getting the 1080P version, but downloads have been known to be slow at times. The SD version probably would have come down in under an hour. HD 1080P is probably close to 10 times as large as the SD version so there is your comparison.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Expect TDK 1080p to be around 8-9 GB of data. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, that's going to take a while to download. Unlike cable, which uses dedicated bandwidth on their own local-to-you network for their OnDemand, DirecTV's downloadable content has to come to you across the Internet from DirecTV's servers, and like any Internet connection, it is as slow as the weakest link in the chain.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

First time DoD user just got my LINKSYS WGA600N today and decided to get The Dark Knight in 1080p on channel 1100. It’s been downloading for 2 hours now and it’s at 14 percent, do downloads always take this long or is it because I’m getting the 1080p version.

Thanks
Rich

What's your ISP speed? Sounds like it may be around 1.5 Mb/s.
@ 6 Mb/s "it should be" about 1.5 times as long as the movies is in length.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

What's your ISP speed? Sounds like it may be around 1.5 Mb/s.
@ 6 Mb/s "it should be" about 1.5 times as long as the movies is in length.

I am getting 1.5 Mb/s and higher on my PC I don’t know what I’m getting on my LINKSYS WGA600N because there is no indicator.

Thanks
Rich

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

I am getting 1.5 Mb/s and higher on my PC I don’t know what I’m getting on my LINKSYS WGA600N because there is no indicator.

Thanks
Rich

Your Linksys should be doing better than 1.5Mbps, unless your wireless signal is very marginal. Typical wireless LAN rates are 10-30Mbps, so the limiting factor is your internet connection, not your wireless LAN speed.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Your Linksys should be doing better than 1.5Mbps, unless your wireless signal is very marginal. Typical wireless LAN rates are 10-30Mbps, so the limiting factor is your internet connection, not your wireless LAN speed.

I just did a PC speed test with my Comcast connection, how are these readings?

Download speed is 9.43 mb/s
Upload speed is 0.17 mb/s
Ping time is 35 ms
At a distance of 100 miles

Posted Image

Thanks
Rich

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,964 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

That is about the same rate as I experienced with 1.5 GHz Wi-Max. A 1080p/24 movie should download slightly faster than 1080i/60.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I just did a PC speed test with my Comcast connection, how are these readings?

Download speed is 9.43 mb/s
Upload speed is 0.17 mb/s
Ping time is 35 ms
At a distance of 100 miles

Thanks
Rich

My experience with VOD over a cable modem was anything but pleasant.
I had a 3 Mb/s connection, which should download SD @ about 1:1, but the only time it ever did was in the middle of the night. Weekends or daytime [up to 11:00 PM], while Speedtest would show "full speed", the sustained VOD speed, was much lower. I tried for a year to work with them and all they ever did was tweak their system to pass Speedtest. Then I finally gave up and went with AT&T DSL when it came into the area. 100% speed, 100% of the time, where cable could be down to only 10% of the time [as they had simply over sold the node and I was competing with every other customer for bandwidth].
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

My experience with VOD over a cable modem was anything but pleasant.
I had a 3 Mb/s connection, which should download SD @ about 1:1, but the only time it ever did was in the middle of the night. Weekends or daytime [up to 11:00 PM], while Speedtest would show "full speed", the sustained VOD speed, was much lower. I tried for a year to work with them and all they ever did was tweak their system to pass Speedtest. Then I finally gave up and went with AT&T DSL when it came into the area. 100% speed, 100% of the time, where cable could be down to only 10% of the time [as they had simply over sold the node and I was competing with every other customer for bandwidth].

I wish I had a choice for high speed but it’s Comcast or dialup, yes I live in a village.:)

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

spam firewall