Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPhone App makes Top 10

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

DIRECTV DVR Scheduler for iPhone™ and iPod® Touch Downloaded over 100,000 Times in First Four Days of Availability on Apple App Store

New App Vaults into the Top Ten Free Apps After Just One Week

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Apr 07, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV today announced its DVR Scheduler App has been downloaded over 100,000 times since its launch on March 30, 2009 and has vaulted into the top ten free apps in the Apple App Store after just one week. The new app allows customers to tap the DIRECTV icon on their iPhone™ or iPod® touch to begin remotely scheduling and recording DIRECTV programming on their home DVR - wherever they are.

The new app combines the innovative Multi-Touch user interface of iPhone and iPod touch with an improved search function that enables users to quickly browse the entire programming guide by channel or date and time and schedule programs up to 14 days in advance. A keyword search option also lets the viewer search DIRECTV shows by actor, title, and description and the guide can be customized for easier viewing and program selection. Once a program is located, viewers have detailed information like air date, duration, and description at their fingertips. The most popular shows will display a colorful graphic that can be tapped to view more images of the cast. DIRECTV customers can then easily set a remote recording with additional options and settings, and simply touch to record.

The DIRECTV DVR Scheduler app is available for free from Apple's App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/.

For more information customers can visit www.directv.com/iphone.

DIRECTV has led the industry in the application of remote DVR scheduling technology - its customers have been using the complimentary service on their cell phones and computers since early last year, scheduling nearly 5-million recordings on their home DVRs to date. Future versions of the application will offer DIRECTV VOD search and remote record, content recommendations and ratings, and streaming of show and movie trailers.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV), the nation's number one satellite TV service, presents the finest television experience available to more than 17.6 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed national cable companies for eight years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit www.directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV
Darris Gringeri, 212-205-0882

Copyright Business Wire 2009
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,616 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Looks like the iPhone folks picked a winner to hook their horns to...:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Jotas

Jotas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Yeah it's a great little app. I've already scheduled a couple of shows on it, works great!

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Impressive! It is an awesome app though. Even for those without DVRs ;)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

I have been using this app daily... it's a winner for me.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:30 AM

Ehhh, I'll stick to my Windows Smartphone and Sling Mobile :D

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#7 OFFLINE   tomkarl

tomkarl

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

I use this app while in the same room with the DVR. Just having the keyboard to search for show names makes it a huge hit with me. Works great.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Actually those work well and have more capability but the great thing about this app is the speed. It takes just seconds to perform any task.

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

Well, if you don't have an iPhone, it will be difficult to use the App, so i understand this. However, those with iPhones .. The App is much better than using Sling Mobile or the DVR Scheduler online.

I've used the App just to lookup show information with no intention of setting a recording at that time.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   jmunick1

jmunick1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

Not surpirsed, they produced a great app for first release.

If a developer is listening, hiding Non-HD in browse by channel should be in the next release! :)

#11 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch but the app looks very sweet.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#12 OFFLINE   Packersrule

Packersrule

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

I have to agree - works great. I now use it and not my DVR to search for shows.

#13 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I use the app daily on my iPod touch to set recordings as well as just look up shows while I am watching my dvr. How did I live without it?
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#14 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Me, my wife, and 2 friends with iPhones and HR20s love this! It is much faster to lookup shows. The other day a friend was over and forgot to schedule Tudors, she just pulled the iPhone up and in less than 15 seconds had her DVR schedule it. This thing is great and I applaud the CE testers for this. Hopefully, other search functions will be added such as actor, etc. Thanks DirecTV!

#15 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Sounds like a great application. I am glad they have made it that good, now for the BB application! :)

#16 OFFLINE   NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

I think the Star Trek phaser app is far better and much much cooler.:D

#17 OFFLINE   vonzoog

vonzoog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

Sounds like a great application. I am glad they have made it that good, now for the BB application! :)

Hang in there. As good as this app is I'm sure the BlackBerry is next on their list.

As an iPhone user and one that now has this app I have to agree with others who have already posted. This app is soooooo good that I use it while watching TV instead of using the TV remote. Much faster, better, and easier to use.

Way to go DirecTV (or however did it) this is really a good one.

#18 OFFLINE   hummer1823

hummer1823

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Yeah looks like a sweet app. Better than just using m.directv.com
I would love an iPhone but the reception around my parts sucks. :mad:

#19 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hang in there. As good as this app is I'm sure the BlackBerry is next on their list.

As an iPhone user and one that now has this app I have to agree with others who have already posted. This app is soooooo good that I use it while watching TV instead of using the TV remote. Much faster, better, and easier to use.

Way to go DirecTV (or however did it) this is really a good one.

I read all this about iphone app and it makes me think that a BB application wont be as good as the iphone one. Might even be slow but if it has all the features like the iphone app it will be loved by many BB owners.

#20 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hopefully, other search functions will be added such as actor, etc. Thanks DirecTV!

This already exists - under the search options (click the arrow in the upper right of the search screen) you'll see a "cast and crew" field, among others, that's selected by default.

spam firewall