Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viacom HD (Comedy,Spike,CMT,MTV,VH1,Nick) Now Live

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

I just checked all the new channels and I did not see any HD content. At least it was not stretch o vision!
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

I just checked all the new channels and I did not see any HD content. At least it was not stretch o vision!

TNA Wrestling :)

Couple of others.

Edited by JohnH, 09 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   JrVtecAccord

JrVtecAccord

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Nice, I have been waiting for NICK.

#24 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

I have turboHD bronze and I have comedy central, CMT and spike.

#25 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

I am not home yet, so I can't check. Does anybody know if the Map downs are working yet?

#26 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

I am not home yet, so I can't check. Does anybody know if the Map downs are working yet?

They are for me, for the channels I get.

#27 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

The map downs are working for me too.

I have to admit I'm a little annoyed with myself for believing everything I read in these forums about them not adding any channels to HD Absolute and switched out of mine. On the other hand the main reason I did it is to get my RSN so I can't complain too much since I'm sure they will still never add that.

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#28 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

I'm getting some weird black artifacts/banding on Comedy Central HD. I guess they might not have worked out all the bugs yet. Anyone else seeing this?

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#29 OFFLINE   MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Outstanding! The picture quality on all of the other HD channels took yet another hit. Can't wait to get more hd-lite channels.

#30 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Looks like I'm getting them all with AEP + Gold HD.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#31 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

I'm getting some weird black artifacts/banding on Comedy Central HD. I guess they might not have worked out all the bugs yet. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I saw that too.

Outstanding! The picture quality on all of the other HD channels took yet another hit. Can't wait to get more hd-lite channels.

I haven't seen any difference on other channels on my projector. Any specific channel that is most noticable?

#32 OFFLINE   Nonno

Nonno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

Do I have this right ..... Nick, MTV and VH1 aren't available in the Turbo packages? This will be the second time they have done this. First time was with Fox News channel. What is the sense in getting the Turbo Gold and the crappy Platiumn addon if you don't get HD channels as they add them. Well, I do enjoy the picture quality and the dvr but if this is what they tell me when I phone them tomarrow I will pay the early termination and go back to cable. This is deceptive and flat out wrong!

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

South Park repeat was in HD earlier.. forgot to check out wrestling on Spike. I did see black speckles on Comedy Central, so I guess they are working some glitches out of the system still.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#34 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

Looking forward to UFC on Spike.

#35 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

Damn, here I am checking DBSTalk nearly everyday for new HD channels and stuff, and the day I didn't check it, new national channels go active.

Just saw these new channels Thursday night as I had had my guide set to All HD and watching VS-HD and saw MTV-HD, VH1-HD, and Spike-HD there on the same page.
END OF LINE

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, there they are. Get to substitute Comedy Central HD for Comedy Central SD in my favorites list. Big deal.

From what I understand from the posts so far is that Nick, MTV and VH1 aren't in the TurboHD packages? That can't be right as they are available in the Classic Bronze for the new customer six month introductory monthly price of $9.99 with HD added for $10.00 bring the total to $19.99. After six months it would be $44.99 as compared to TurboHD Bronze of $29.99. Hmmmm. Well, we'll see how this play out tomorrow.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#37 OFFLINE   MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

I have seen more pixelation on just about every network I watch - FoodTV, History etc. Just a few months ago I thought that they had really improved on quality from a year ago but it was short lived. :(

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

From what I understand from the posts so far is that Nick, MTV and VH1 aren't in the TurboHD packages?

Many program providers require their channels to be bundled. Those channels are only available in packages that have the other channels Viacom wants sold together.

Thanks to Viacom's restrictions DISH cannot offer those HD channels without also providing the SD channels Viacom wants bundled. That restriction limits DISH to selling the channels only as part of a SD+HD package. The same situation applies to Fox News (a Classic Bronze+HD channel that is not in the Turbo packages).

It is one of the risks of offering a HD only package ... trying to get providers to allow the delivery of only the "HD" channels from a bundle. Sometimes a deal can be done.

#39 OFFLINE   kokomogator

kokomogator

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

DIRECTV should be worried!

Why? Direct has had these channels for quite some time:) We also don't require an elite package to get all of them.

#40 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Many program providers require their channels to be bundled. Those channels are only available in packages that have the other channels Viacom wants sold together.

Thanks to Viacom's restrictions DISH cannot offer those HD channels without also providing the SD channels Viacom wants bundled. That restriction limits DISH to selling the channels only as part of a SD+HD package. The same situation applies to Fox News (a Classic Bronze+HD channel that is not in the Turbo packages).

It is one of the risks of offering a HD only package ... trying to get providers to allow the delivery of only the "HD" channels from a bundle. Sometimes a deal can be done.

It seems to me that it also makes sense for DISH to keep some channels out of the cheaper packages otherwise no one would subscribe to the higher tiers. Obviously they have to weave this around the agreements they make with the content provider. When you decide what package you are going to buy you decide if it is worth the upgrade and what channels you definitely want to have. Sometimes it is the cheapest package and sometimes it isn't. I don't think it's fair to ask DISH to put all HD in the cheapest packages.

spam firewall