Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viacom HD (Comedy,Spike,CMT,MTV,VH1,Nick) Now Live

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lbhskier37

lbhskier37

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

I don't think it's fair to ask DISH to put all HD in the cheapest packages.

Yeah but the package that you advertise as being the HD package should have your HD channels! I was told when I switched to Turbo that I would get the new channels when they come online. Why don't they call the package Some HD instead of Turbo HD. This is total crap and they are losing a good customer.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

I was seriously considering switching from Classic 250+Turbo Gold to just Turbo Silver if Nick-HD had been added to the Turbo-only packages, but I guess that won't be possible now. :(

Oh well, I am happy to get these HD channels. Better late than never.

#43 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:30 AM

I don't know what makes me happier:
-The fact that these HD channels are now on.
-The fact that all the complainers have to shut up.

#44 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

I would like to see how Dish is going to update their site with their HD lists. Right now, they aren't showing the new HD channels anywhere (at least anywhere that I see).

If they plan on being honest with their customers, they need to have two lists. One should show the channels that you get with a Classic+Turbo package, and one should show the channels you get with just a Turbo package.

So far, Dish hasn't done this.

#45 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

Congrats guys! Happy Festivus!
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#46 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

Excellent. I'll be recording GameTrailersTV in HD tonight. :)
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#47 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Why? Direct has had these channels for quite some time:) We also don't require an elite package to get all of them.

:) I know...just saying that dish is getting more HD channels. Thats all. :)

#48 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

About the only SD I still watch is the CW now. Wonder if we'll ever see Reaper and Supernatural in HD out here.

#49 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hmm, I'm not convinced some of these channels are HD feeds at all. Been watching CMT/HD all morning, and have yet to see anything venture outside the 4x3 box on my 16x9 TV; they're showing videos now, all in glorious letterbox (16x9 programs with black on all sides which should really be HD and fill the screen.)

To me it appears Dish is passing on the SD version of this channel and flipping on the HD flag. I KNOW these videos should be HD, I see them on the late-night HD video show on Paladia.

Same thing on VH1 (I haven't watched the others yet.)

Anyone seen ANY HD on CMT or VH1?

Disappointing; a few months back someone posted that CMT was a high-percentage HD material now, but that's not what I'm seeing.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#50 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Absolute customer here, happy I'm getting extra channels, but what is the logic, or what determines which ones I get. At 1st I was expecting them ALL (when I subscribed), after being on this forum I was expecting NOTHING... now the extras I get:
CMT, Spike, Comedy
and the ones I don't get:
Nick, MTV, and VH1

This is almost a complaint, just want to know what gives? I don't think Dish knows what they're doing... what else is new.

Edited by tcatdbs, 10 April 2009 - 09:04 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

WOW, bars on the top and bars on the bottom!!!! I know some people wanted these channels so badly, but I really don't understand why.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#52 OFFLINE   phatal

phatal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hmm, I'm not convinced some of these channels are HD feeds at all. Been watching CMT/HD all morning, and have yet to see anything venture outside the 4x3 box on my 16x9 TV; they're showing videos now, all in glorious letterbox (16x9 programs with black on all sides which should really be HD and fill the screen.)

To me it appears Dish is passing on the SD version of this channel and flipping on the HD flag. I KNOW these videos should be HD, I see them on the late-night HD video show on Paladia.

Disappointing; a few months back someone posted that CMT was a high-percentage HD material now, but that's not what I'm seeing.

Exactly.

There's been so much complaining lately about not enough HD channels, don't have this HD channel, don't have that HD channel....
The REAL issue is not enough HD CONTENT on the channels we have. We all think we're missing out on something. Truth is, we're really not.

#53 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

16x9 is not the same as HD. Many 16x9 shows still SD. For example, Doctor Who or Top Gear are not filmed in HD or even a particularly high resolution, but are widescreen. HD is just better resolution, not an aspect ratio. Also, broadcasting in HD does not mean the station in question is quite ready to upconvert widescreen shows to fill an HD tv screen, which is why there is the Zoom button. It's pretty standard for that to take some time as the station gets it's head around HD broadcast. Heck, SciFi still does it on occasion, showing a widescreen show letterboxed instead of full screen, and they have been HD for awhile now. EncoreHD still shows some shows cropped, for that matter. I suspect it has a lot to do with the source they have for broadcast. If they don't have the HD source, they might not zoom it for you.

#54 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yes and Directv does not charge multiple prices for different HD packages. You pay one price you get them all (minus the premiums).

Directv has had these channels up for a while.

I don't understand Dish Network sometimes.

#55 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yes and Directv does not charge multiple prices for different HD packages. You pay one price you get them all (minus the premiums).

Directv has had these channels up for a while.

I don't understand Dish Network sometimes.

They don't.:confused:
Well they better update their web site.
https://www.directv....ooternavtype=-1

By the way did D* figure out how to get their DVR do a preset recording yet. :eek2: E* been able to do that for a while. :rolleyes::D
New Reno 911 failed to record 3 times

Edited by ImBack234, 10 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

where is the BETHD? Is that the only one missing.

It now shows in red at 9510.

#57 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

NIckelodeon has Dorba the Explorer on in 4:3, as it is supposed to be. But, the HD logo is down in the corner where it's supposed to be.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#58 OFFLINE   HarveyLA

HarveyLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

The picture quality is much improved, even if it is not HD. (to my eyes, crisp and clean compared to blurry on my 46" screen). And sound quality is better. Try hot switching between the SD and HD versions of CMT or any other similar pair, and check it out. (easy to do on the all sub menu where SD and HD versions are adjacent channels.)

#59 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

The black speckles were gone from Comedy Central HD when I woke up this morning. yay.

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#60 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

I hope everyone is happy now.:)

They are on

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...