Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viacom HD (Comedy,Spike,CMT,MTV,VH1,Nick) Now Live

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

WOW, bars on the top and bars on the bottom!!!! I know some people wanted these channels so badly, but I really don't understand why.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   phatal

phatal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hmm, I'm not convinced some of these channels are HD feeds at all. Been watching CMT/HD all morning, and have yet to see anything venture outside the 4x3 box on my 16x9 TV; they're showing videos now, all in glorious letterbox (16x9 programs with black on all sides which should really be HD and fill the screen.)

To me it appears Dish is passing on the SD version of this channel and flipping on the HD flag. I KNOW these videos should be HD, I see them on the late-night HD video show on Paladia.

Same thing on VH1 (I haven't watched the others yet.)

Anyone seen ANY HD on CMT or VH1?

Disappointing; a few months back someone posted that CMT was a high-percentage HD material now, but that's not what I'm seeing.

Exactly.

There's been so much complaining lately about not enough HD channels, don't have this HD channel, don't have that HD channel....
The REAL issue is not enough HD CONTENT on the channels we have. We all think we're missing out on something. Truth is, we're really not.

#53 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hmm, I'm not convinced some of these channels are HD feeds at all. Been watching CMT/HD all morning, and have yet to see anything venture outside the 4x3 box on my 16x9 TV; they're showing videos now, all in glorious letterbox (16x9 programs with black on all sides which should really be HD and fill the screen.)

To me it appears Dish is passing on the SD version of this channel and flipping on the HD flag. I KNOW these videos should be HD, I see them on the late-night HD video show on Paladia.

Disappointing; a few months back someone posted that CMT was a high-percentage HD material now, but that's not what I'm seeing.

16x9 is not the same as HD. Many 16x9 shows still SD. For example, Doctor Who or Top Gear are not filmed in HD or even a particularly high resolution, but are widescreen. HD is just better resolution, not an aspect ratio. Also, broadcasting in HD does not mean the station in question is quite ready to upconvert widescreen shows to fill an HD tv screen, which is why there is the Zoom button. It's pretty standard for that to take some time as the station gets it's head around HD broadcast. Heck, SciFi still does it on occasion, showing a widescreen show letterboxed instead of full screen, and they have been HD for awhile now. EncoreHD still shows some shows cropped, for that matter. I suspect it has a lot to do with the source they have for broadcast. If they don't have the HD source, they might not zoom it for you.

#54 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yes and Directv does not charge multiple prices for different HD packages. You pay one price you get them all (minus the premiums).

Directv has had these channels up for a while.

I don't understand Dish Network sometimes.

#55 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yes and Directv does not charge multiple prices for different HD packages. You pay one price you get them all (minus the premiums).

Directv has had these channels up for a while.

I don't understand Dish Network sometimes.

They don't.:confused:
Well they better update their web site.
https://www.directv....ooternavtype=-1

By the way did D* figure out how to get their DVR do a preset recording yet. :eek2: E* been able to do that for a while. :rolleyes::D
New Reno 911 failed to record 3 times

Edited by ImBack234, 10 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

where is the BETHD? Is that the only one missing.

It now shows in red at 9510.

#57 OFFLINE   davethestalker

davethestalker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

NIckelodeon has Dorba the Explorer on in 4:3, as it is supposed to be. But, the HD logo is down in the corner where it's supposed to be.
ViP722
Western Digital 1TB My Book (Essentials Edition)
2 - VIP612
Eastern Arc
Pioneer PDP-5020FD (Cleveland Plasma)
Yamaha RXV2200

500GB 7200 RPM 1st Gen. PS3
Playstation Network ID: DaveTheStalker
Playseat: Tony Stewart Collectors Edition
Logitech G25
The Drive of Your Life

#58 OFFLINE   HarveyLA

HarveyLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

The picture quality is much improved, even if it is not HD. (to my eyes, crisp and clean compared to blurry on my 46" screen). And sound quality is better. Try hot switching between the SD and HD versions of CMT or any other similar pair, and check it out. (easy to do on the all sub menu where SD and HD versions are adjacent channels.)

#59 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

The black speckles were gone from Comedy Central HD when I woke up this morning. yay.

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#60 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

I hope everyone is happy now.:)

They are on

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#61 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Where is Comedy Central?

I guess TVLAND wasn't part of the deal. CC is a better channel anyway.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#62 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yeah but the package that you advertise as being the HD package should have your HD channels! I was told when I switched to Turbo that I would get the new channels when they come online. Why don't they call the package Some HD instead of Turbo HD. This is total crap and they are losing a good customer.

U-verse is useless!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#63 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

CMT has another called CMT Pure Country which plays coiunty video. I had that channel when I had U-verse. No HD. Just alerting. I've never watched CMT. They changed formats too much for me.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#64 OFFLINE   Suriel

Suriel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

HD channels available at 61.5° and 129°:

* Spike 9506/5303/168
* CMT 9493/5318/166
* MTV 9484/5321/160
* CMDY 9485/5317/107
* NICK 9416/5340/170
* VH1 9507/5319/162

#65 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Vh1 has Rock of love in Hd, saw it in Hd last night.
They also have " I love money " in hd on right now. Nice quality video.

Edited by dennispap, 10 April 2009 - 02:13 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   AFH

AFH

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

If you guys watch MTVHD, you'll see 'The Real World', 'Real World/Road Rules Challenge' and a couple of their newer shows in HD and look quite nice. They still don't show 'The Hills' or 'The City' in HD which is dissappointing but I still record those shows from the MTVHD.
HR20-700 - Connected to home network
H20-100
Slimline Dish
WB68 6x8 Multiswitch

#67 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,616 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

So many think that folks will stop complaining.:sure:

To begin with, I didn't see the point of adding the Viacom/MTV channels as they don't offer much HD programming. Then I thought that adding Nick and MTV to the TurboHD packages would make them more marketable, so it makes some sense. Now I find out they aren't available to the TurboHD packages!

Yeah Jon Stewart and SpongBob are somewhat sharper in the upverted 4:3 SD format. But I haven't seen any digital surround sound from MTV, VH1, or CMT, so its back to Palladia for music lovers right now.

What, again, was the point of adding to Dish Network's net loss for this right now?:(

EDIT: I found the answer to my question on another thread. The point was to p*ss off this customer and many more like him:

I am new to TurboHD (Silver) and I saw many posts on the new HD channels which are of interest to my family (NICK, VH1, MTV). I see the new channels on my guide, but they are all red. These seem like basic enough channels to be added to the bronze level. I attempted to ask a CSR why I wasn't getting them, but got nothing. Am I just impatient or what is going on??

(03) Tom H: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer. How may I assist you?
me: I understand you've just added some channels NICK, MTV, VH1 in HD and I was wondering what TurboHD packages they are part of
(03) Tom H: I'd be happy to assist you with that.
(03) Tom H: We are constantly adding channels on a regular basis to our line-up and continue to provide the widest variety of HD programming options available anywhere.
(03) Tom H: Unfortunately, we are unable to disclose what package,channels will be added or when due to legalities.
(03) Tom H: As you have been a wonderful customer of Dish Network for a long time, I will pass on your feedback to the concerned department on your behalf.
(03) Tom H: It will updated on the website soon.
(03) Tom H: Do not worry.
(03) Tom H: You are all set. Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?
me: I'm not asking about the future, but the present
me: I see NICK for example on my guide, but it is RED
me: so no you haven't
(03) Tom H: It will be updated on the website, what package the channels belong to.
me: 9416 = NICK
me: so you don't know who is allowed to get it?
(03) Tom H: Unfortunately, we are unable to disclose what package,channels will be added or when due to legalities.
(03) Tom H: It will updated on the website soon.
(03) Tom H: Your patience is greatly appreciated.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#68 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

EDIT: I found the answer to my question on another thread. The point was to p*ss off this customer and many more like him:

Yeah, that was Charlie's sole reason for existing... :rolleyes:
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#69 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, that was Charlie's sole reason for existing... :rolleyes:

Well, it certainly isn't smart retail marketing.

Yeah, I know....:beatdeadhorse:

#70 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,187 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Friendly Moderator reminder... This is not the Dish vs DirecTV thread. Be happy about Viacom HD channels, or complain about the lack of actual HD on them instead... but let's not have the 1001st Dish vs DirecTV thread.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#71 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Friendly Moderator reminder... This is not the Dish vs DirecTV thread. Be happy about Viacom HD channels, or complain about the lack of actual HD on them instead... but let's not have the 1001st Dish vs DirecTV thread.

aww.. but they are so much fun! :)

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#72 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

CMT has another called CMT Pure Country which plays coiunty video. I had that channel when I had U-verse. No HD. Just alerting. I've never watched CMT. They changed formats too much for me.

I totally agree that CMT sucks now; they've gone the way of MTV and basically are not even a music channel any more; they just play redneck variety shows. HOWEVER, they do still have top-20 countdown, a few hours of videos each day etc. Sadly these are NOT in HD even though this is supposedly an HD channel.

Maybe a little clearer than the SD channel, but not HD. What I've seen is a 4x3 SD channel being transmitted digitally is all, not 16x9 and not HD resolution. I've not yet seen anything except 4x3. (And yes, I understand HD is not just 16x9, thank you very much.)

I really don't care much about all this "new HD" hoopla and who has the most HD, and am 99% happy with what we already have, but I like watching HD videos often, and was really excited about CMT HD. Alas, I'll have to stick to recording Paladia at 3am, and fast forwarding through the 90% crap to get to the few good videos. Thank God for Paladia, still the only channel that really shows music in HD.

I wish GAC would go HD, but I don't think that's even in the cards right now.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#73 OFFLINE   RTE

RTE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Well you got the stations, you yelled about, little HD content as you might expect. I don't think you can blame Charlie for that.:shrug:

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,187 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

I posted the press release here.

Since we already had a good discussion in this thread, I closed the press release thread and put a link to this discussion.

I created the press release thread on its own, since it also mentioned the launch of BET HD as well today.. though I can't say as I've seen that one live on my receiver.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#75 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

It's amusing that whatever it is we didn't know about this (when and what packages) seems to be true for Darryl and his other brother Darryl who handle the web site and didn't know it either as there is no mention of, say, Comedy Central in the TurboHD web page.

Survival is all about marketing.:nono2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...