Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free HBO Cinemax preview May 8-12

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Somtime this fall the rumor is that Curb Your Enthusiasm will be back, Larry David was just finishing up the final scripts and who exactly would appear on the episodes. I am sure HBO is banking it does well, I would imagine their #'s went down once the Sopranos was over.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   PackFan

PackFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

What is taking so long for more of the HBO channels to go HD?

#23 OFFLINE   MCWHAMMER

MCWHAMMER

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

I asked a silly question before looking at some of the other forum threads. I then found this site... this guy has the right idea!!

http://www.FreePreview.TV

(Can't link the URL yet, but you get the point).

You can even sort by provider to pick yours, and sign up for notification emails, or RSS feed. This will definitely help us all keep track of these hard to pin down Free Preview weeks.
Uncovered Films - Indie/Cult/Direct-to-Disc Universe
Swag Bucks - Search the Web, Earn free GC's and prizes!

#24 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

I just received my bill from Directv and a notice was in it stating HBO and Cinemax free preview was coming up May 8th-12. I didn't see a post here yet for this, so I thought I'd let you know.

Do we know when (what time) this will actually start (on the 8th) and end (on the 12th)?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#25 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

What is taking so long for more of the HBO channels to go HD?

bandwidth? maybe more will show up when D-12 goes up.

#26 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Do we know when (what time) this will actually start (on the 8th) and end (on the 12th)?

Should start 6am friday (8th) & end 6am wednesday (13th).

#27 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

(Yawn) Apparently, the only way to get folks to watch these so-called "premium" channels is to offer free previews because many viewers who used to subscribe have decided they just aren't worth the money anymore (especially with the other options like Netflix and the recent price hike).

I had Showtime for free for three months earlier this year due to some sort of screwup by DirecTV CSR's and I think I recorded/watched all of 4 movies. These premium services remind me of the old days when drive-in theatres had a third movie in the middle of the night when everyone had fallen asleep. Those seem to be the kind of movies being shown.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#28 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

The movies the premiums offer aren't as big a deal to me as the original series and of those the only one I felt was worth paying for was The Sopranos. But, free is free and I'll probably add those channels to the Guide just to see if there's anything worth recording.
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#29 OFFLINE   byrdpack

byrdpack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

This preview makes me realize how nice it would be to have all of the HBO's and Cinemax's in HD. So sad in my opinion.

#30 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Got up today and set a few timers to record some movies on the HBO Free Preview.

As the first timer fired the audio on the channel I was listening to, 840 XM Deep Tracks (not a free preview channel), dropped out. Went to my other R15 and all was well but that R15 was not recording anything at that time.

Stopped and deleted the free channel recording and the audio returned to the 840 channel that the audio had dropped out.

Am waiting for another timer to execute to see if it happens exactly the same way again.

Anyone had a problem recording a free preview on HBO?

#31 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

Is there anything "good" on HBO nowadays?

I just looked and their really is nothing earth shattering on the free preview weekend:nono:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#32 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

I just looked and their really is nothing earth shattering on the free preview weekend:nono:

Which is why i don't sub. ;)
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

spam firewall