Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Saturday Baseball "exclusive" blacking out MLBEI games.

directv2go

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

No games on MLBEI until 7pm ET. It's 2009 and this nonsense is still going on? This is not acceptable.

I thought I read that MLB was going to ease up on the blackout rules to stop this insanity?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

nope.

#3 OFFLINE   trackmannn

trackmannn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

even funnier.. MLB Fox Saturday's is sponsored exclusively by.. you guessed it.. DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

It's been like this for years and it's not going to change any time soon.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#5 OFFLINE   PicaKing

PicaKing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

While we may not like the blackout rules, they are the rules and have been for some time. They are clearly explained on directv.com, so if you find them "not acceptable" you should not have signed up for MLB EI
Slimline 5 LNB
HR20-100 attached to Panasonic 42" plasma via HDMI
HR10-250
HR21-700
HR22
D-15
Some really old SD receiver out on the deck

#6 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

MLBTV on mlb.com is your friend on Sat mornings, no blackouts

#7 OFFLINE   CUDAHY

CUDAHY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

It's the one difference between MLB EI and MLBtv. I've never read any explanation for the difference.

#8 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

That giant sucking sound is the sports monopolies extracting every last dime out of your wallet.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#9 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

And to make it even worse the marlins moved their sat. games to 6pm due to post game concerts now making these games unavailable

#10 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

While Bud and Cronies MAY address the blackout situation before the end of the 2009 season(more than likely though it will be before the 2010 season) any forthcoming solutions will not be concerning the Fox saturday game which is in place and contracted for through the 2013 season.

The blackout situation would have been addressed already if the economy hadn't tanked. It's called haircut provisions and was on the agenda multiple meetings but always tabled.

Teams changing the market claimed area is not as simple as just redrawing boundaries.

The boundaries can be redrawn and the claiming of multiple markets can be addressed, but if you do that while under an existing TV contract(Locallly) you will be changing the terms of the contract and more than likely your local TV provider will be asking for some type of rebate since in almost all cases the new adjusted market will be smaller thus affecting ad rates determined by populations and TV's in use in said market.

There is a better chance of MLB prohibiting Saturday afternoon start times for non Fox games than lifting the blackout on Saturday for Fox or Sunday for ESPN.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#11 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

MLBTV on mlb.com is your friend on Sat mornings, no blackouts

Pay MLB.TV another $79 - $109 a year on top of the MLB EI subscription? No thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   socal404

socal404

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

even funnier.. MLB Fox Saturday's is sponsored exclusively by.. you guessed it.. DirecTV.

The blackouts have nothing to do with Directv. It's to protect Fox's investment in MLB.
Sharp Aquos 46" TV
Directv HR24-200 family room w/HDMI cable
Directv R22-100 bedroom

Directv R22-100 office
Directv H25 living room w/HDMI cable
Whole Home Setup

#13 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

lots of teams try to get by the 'rule' by starting their games at 7:30EST on Saturdays...hopefully the further into the season we get (thus the warmer it gets) we'll see more of those...

Right now, the Rangers have to play the Tigers at 1:05 EST because it's too cold at night to start these games at 7:30...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#14 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Pay MLB.TV another $79 - $109 a year on top of the MLB EI subscription? No thanks.

Cheapskate :)

#15 OFFLINE   DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

lots of teams try to get by the 'rule' by starting their games at 7:30EST on Saturdays...hopefully the further into the season we get (thus the warmer it gets) we'll see more of those...

Right now, the Rangers have to play the Tigers at 1:05 EST because it's too cold at night to start these games at 7:30...

Weather wouldn't have anything to do with the start times. Most teams have a normal saturday start time of about 7pm local time. The afternoon games are put there specifically for the FOX broadcasts. It's not uncommon midseason to see games moved from their normal nighttime start to an afternoon slot because FOX wants to broadcast it either nationally or regionally.

A quick glance down the schedules for each of those teams for April & May shows that they play all night games every saturday except for the games on FOX.

Edited by DiSH Defector, 11 April 2009 - 02:56 PM.

HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 42" 1080p LCD
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 26" 1080i LCD
Linksys 80211N Wireless Router
Linksys WGA600N Wireless Gaming Adapter for DOD & MRV
DOD/MRV & MediaShare w/ WMP11 & Vista Home Premium working just fine.
R15-300 w/ S-Video & RCA Audio

I do not give out proprietary information. All opinions expressed within this forum or in PM are exclusively mine and are not necessarily the opinions of any satellite provider.

#16 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

hey I subscribe to both EI for D* and also MLB.TV (for when on road for work or vacation) and I have to admit I hadn't had a ton of luck with the new player (on MLB.TV) until today ...I watched the Rangers/Tigers game and it was just spectacular ... I used a PC connection to my 32 inch Sony 720p set and using my home Fios 20mb/sec connection the picture from FS Southwest was HD quality ...only the audio was a hair off (and I mean a hair) I think it stopped (slowed down) only once all game ... if D* doesn't add Padres/Phillies/Jays games this year I am going to watch the MLB.TV HD feeds from home when an HD feed isn't available on EI ....

#17 OFFLINE   bill buckner

bill buckner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

And to make it even worse the marlins moved their sat. games to 6pm due to post game concerts now making these games unavailable

That's such BS. SNY can't come on the air until 7:05 to show the Mets tonight. So we have to miss the first hour. Stupid rule.

#18 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

hey I subscribe to both EI for D* and also MLB.TV (for when on road for work or vacation) and I have to admit I hadn't had a ton of luck with the new player (on MLB.TV) until today ...I watched the Rangers/Tigers game and it was just spectacular ... I used a PC connection to my 32 inch Sony 720p set and using my home Fios 20mb/sec connection the picture from FS Southwest was HD quality ...only the audio was a hair off (and I mean a hair) I think it stopped (slowed down) only once all game ... if D* doesn't add Padres/Phillies/Jays games this year I am going to watch the MLB.TV HD feeds from home when an HD feed isn't available on EI ....

Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking about getting this over the EI, being FSN Ohio is beyond pathetic, and all the crazy blackout restrictions.

Now I just need to investigate the easiest way to stream video to my tele wirelessly. I think you can do with the airport expresses and a little 3rd party software.

#19 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Weather wouldn't have anything to do with the start times. Most teams have a normal saturday start time of about 7pm local time. The afternoon games are put there specifically for the FOX broadcasts. It's not uncommon midseason to see games moved from their normal nighttime start to an afternoon slot because FOX wants to broadcast it either nationally or regionally.

A quick glance down the schedules for each of those teams for April & May shows that they play all night games every saturday except for the games on FOX.

Well, talk to the Rangers broadcasters then who said that the only reason this weekends games in Detroit are at 1:05 each day is because of the cold weather... Other than that, seems kind of odd for a non Fox game to be at 1:05 on Saturday correct? I'm not saying EVERY team schedules according to the weather, but for this weekend, the Rangers-Tigers series is...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#20 OFFLINE   mike558

mike558

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Double check before you order MLB TV. The site says there will be blackouts on Saturdays between 1-7pm. If I remember correctly, they didn't enforce the blackout for the 1st month or 2 last year, but by June the games were blacked out just like the MLB EI package.

From MLB TV: "Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands)."

It might cost you a few more bucks in the long run, but I'd suggest doing the monthly sub plan for MLB TV, so you can cancel if they start blacking games out.

HR20-700 / H20-100 / H21-100
Slimline 3LNB
Sony KDF-42WE655

Protected By... spam firewall...And...