Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox Saturday Baseball "exclusive" blacking out MLBEI games.

directv2go

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

GlennDio is correct. MLB.TV does not black out any Saturday MLB game starting before 1:10 p.m. Last season, the Yankees, Cubs, Blue Jays and Mets had numerous 1:05 p. starts, all of which were available to MLB.TV subscribers. As far as I know, the same rules are in effect for 2009. Games starting around 4 p.m. EDT were blacked out on MLB.TV as well as MLB EI.

Edited by Pete K., 14 April 2009 - 06:37 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

With MLB.TV can you watch a replay of a Saturday game after it ends...i.e it's blacked out for a 1:10pm start but it's available at 9pm that Saturday night if you want to throw it on and watch it. I guess archived viewing would be the term?

:confused:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#43 OFFLINE   Sori4Mvp

Sori4Mvp

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

You know these blackouts on Saturday really drive me crazy. Now that Fox only has a 4:10 PM ET start time, why the hell are we blacked out of games that start prior to 1:10 PM ET? If the game starts at 1:05 we should be allowed to watch that game. So let me get this straight, instead we just have to sit there on a Saturday afternoon and not watch any baseball at 1 PM??? How is this a good business practice? Especially after shelling out close to 200 bucks for the EI Package. I just don't get it, that has to be fixed! You know if Fox had a 1PM ET and 4 PM ET I could understand it more, I still wouldn't be happy, but I would understand it. Right now it just makes ZERO sense to blackout the 1 PM ET games when their coverage doesn't start till 4:10 PM ET! Ridiculous!

Anyway, on to another blackout topic. Do you guys remember back in the day, Oh, I guess late 90's maybe on into the early 00's when ESPN had Wednesday Night double headers at 7PMET and 10 PMET? Remember when in addition to being blacked out all afternoon on Saturdays we were also blacked out on Wed nights on all games that started at 7PM and later? That freaking sucked!!!! I remember this first happening like in '97 or '98 maybe on my old C Band dish. Then I remember it still occurring on DTV when I first switched to that back in '99. Eventually it was dropped and then later on Wed Night baseball ceased to exist. That **** really pissed me off. I think in '01 or '02 would have been when they finally cut that **** out with the Wed Night blackouts. That used to suck!

#44 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

just to piss off some people who dont want to get a canadian dish

Extra innings up in Canada has all of the other games on saturday afternoons plus the other fox games. in other words, you get to see it all

#45 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

You know these blackouts on Saturday really drive me crazy. Now that Fox only has a 4:10 PM ET start time, why the hell are we blacked out of games that start prior to 1:10 PM ET? If the game starts at 1:05 we should be allowed to watch that game. So let me get this straight, instead we just have to sit there on a Saturday afternoon and not watch any baseball at 1 PM??? How is this a good business practice? Especially after shelling out close to 200 bucks for the EI Package. I just don't get it, that has to be fixed! You know if Fox had a 1PM ET and 4 PM ET I could understand it more, I still wouldn't be happy, but I would understand it. Right now it just makes ZERO sense to blackout the 1 PM ET games when their coverage doesn't start till 4:10 PM ET! Ridiculous!

Anyway, on to another blackout topic. Do you guys remember back in the day, Oh, I guess late 90's maybe on into the early 00's when ESPN had Wednesday Night double headers at 7PMET and 10 PMET? Remember when in addition to being blacked out all afternoon on Saturdays we were also blacked out on Wed nights on all games that started at 7PM and later? That freaking sucked!!!! I remember this first happening like in '97 or '98 maybe on my old C Band dish. Then I remember it still occurring on DTV when I first switched to that back in '99. Eventually it was dropped and then later on Wed Night baseball ceased to exist. That **** really pissed me off. I think in '01 or '02 would have been when they finally cut that **** out with the Wed Night blackouts. That used to suck!

Ya i made that point about 5 pages ago, it still irks me

#46 OFFLINE   BarryS14

BarryS14

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

just to piss off some people who dont want to get a canadian dish

Extra innings up in Canada has all of the other games on saturday afternoons plus the other fox games. in other words, you get to see it all

Check out the MLB EI schedule from Bell TV in Canada. No Saturday afternoon blackouts at all:

http://www.bell.ca/w...edule_April.pdf

Thanks MLB.

#47 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Wow there are alot of replies to this topic. I've been upset about the FOX Exclusive late Saturday afternoon broadcast window for years now. Why in the hell can't this stupid rule be reversed and the contract restructured. If MLB Was Smart they would reverse this stupid rule and end the Saturday monopoly it has on FOX. Maybe if every fan who cared would send Bud Selig a letter and flood his desk with requests to end this stupid rule maybe something could get done this season. They need to put all of the other FOX Regional games on the MLB EI Package as well. Every game should be available.

Still better than the old days when we had one choice The NBC game of the week,a long time ago
Directv since 1994

#48 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

I wish FOX at least provided Directv with alternate game feeds for the regional broadcasts. CBS has always done this for college basketball, etc.

#49 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

I thought FOX has the right to afternoon and games that started at 3:05 PM cannot be shown on TV at all. will today a Toronto vs Oakland game was shown live on Rogers sportsnet. i thought that was againist the rules.

#50 OFFLINE   BarryS14

BarryS14

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I thought FOX has the right to afternoon and games that started at 3:05 PM cannot be shown on TV at all. will today a Toronto vs Oakland game was shown live on Rogers sportsnet. i thought that was againist the rules.

It was shown in Canada since they do not ahere to the FOX blackout rules. Did anyone in the Oakland area able to see the game on CSN California or was it blacked out?

#51 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Yeah Canada has different broadcast rules than we do here in the United States. They can show Saturday Afternoon games.

#52 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Still better than the old days when we had one choice The NBC game of the week,a long time ago

Of course, we weren't paying close to $200 a year for MLBEI so we wouldn't be held hostage to one game in particular.

And once again the Fox Saturday game was crappy, so instead of keeping us watching by switching to a better game, I turned it off.

#53 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Of course, we weren't paying close to $200 a year for MLBEI so we wouldn't be held hostage to one game in particular.

And once again the Fox Saturday game was crappy, so instead of keeping us watching by switching to a better game, I turned it off.

The best alternative is to get an XM Satellite Radio and listen to your teams broadcast that way. I've listened to XM Many Times on Saturdays instead of watching FOX's Saturday Baseball game of the week. If My Cubs are on FOX i'll watch FOX. If not. I listen to the radio call.

#54 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

I don't understand why MLB is not on Sirius yet...Sirius and XM merged, so all of the games should be on Sirius too

#55 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:16 AM

This may sound childish - but as an XM subscriber I'm kinda glad Sirius dosent get MLB.

"They" (SIRI) hijacked all XM's music channels in favor of their crappier repetitive music stations. So now in return XM keeps MLB exclusive to even the playing field.

This makes no sense but it helps me sleep at night.

#56 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

To get back on topic that we beat to death - I know nothing is going to change coverage wise with the blackouts, I just wish teams would simply avoid scheduling Sat afternoon games that are non-Fox. I can deal with missing maybe a game or 2 at most, but it seems this year - so far- 1/3rd of the Saturday schedule seems to be during the blackout window.

#57 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

To get back on topic that we beat to death - I know nothing is going to change coverage wise with the blackouts, I just wish teams would simply avoid scheduling Sat afternoon games that are non-Fox. I can deal with missing maybe a game or 2 at most, but it seems this year - so far- 1/3rd of the Saturday schedule seems to be during the blackout window.

Exactly, whining about the Fox Saturday blackout situation is pointless.

What TPTB at MLB can control for the rest of the Saturday's that are under the length of the Fox Contract are the Saturday Schedules.

Simple fix- All Saturday baseball games are prohibited from being scheduled before 7:00PM East Coast Time no exceptions other than possible Doubleheaders resulting from weather postponements.

Then let Fox select two games (weather) to be placed in the 3:30ish slot every week.

Every other game gets a 7PM east coast start time or later.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#58 OFFLINE   coolyman

coolyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

MLBTV on mlb.com is your friend on Sat mornings, no blackouts

Not true. Even with MLB.TV you cannot not watch any of the Fox games, including the one in your market. OTOH, I can just wait until that evening and watch the whole game after it's over. It's not the same but it's better than getting screwed completely.

#59 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Not true. Even with MLB.TV you cannot not watch any of the Fox games, including the one in your market. OTOH, I can just wait until that evening and watch the whole game after it's over. It's not the same but it's better than getting screwed completely.

And that's my annoyance factor with the MLB EI package. I record EVERY Indians game off of STO and watch them---sometimes a week later sometimes that night...but I always watch them. Having said that, there are times where my D* DVR misses the end of a game because it runs long, there was a rain delay, Rafael Betancourt has pitched to 5 batters...or just doesn't record for one reason or another (rain/storms cause the signal to go out, the power is out so it doesn't catch the start/middle/end of a game) and I'd LOVE to be able to record the replay (which is on multiple times after the game is over overnight/into the AM/afternoon on the following day)....yet I'm blacked out from STO b/c I'm out of market on replays....even though I"m paying for the right to watch a "live" game.

The fact that MLB.TV allows you to watch replays seems just a wee bit inconsistent in the grand scheme of things as far as pay services go. Add to that the fact that MLB.TV subs can watch the Saturday games a few hours after they end (after the blackout window is "over") and I can't....and I'm even MORE annoyed.

I understand that RSN/TV/Network rules come into play on D*...but c'mon. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander....or some crap like that.

:nono:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#60 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

As a Mets fan, I really like this idea. The Mets have played every Saturday game during the day this year. The one time they were on Fox, there were constant inneruptions for local weather updates on the storm we were having and then the Cowboys practice bubble collapsed and that was the end of Dallas' Fox coverage of the Mets/Phillies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...