Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with MLB EI and Sports Pack..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

Are you able to watch games on the RSN's channel v.s. EI channel?

Last season I could record Mets games off SNY (639) because I had EI amd the sports pack.

I'm noticing that I can't do that anymore and I'm wondering if it's just me, or, did D* change things up again.

Thanks,
Sam

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave2344

dave2344

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

I have the sports pack and EI for the Yanks. No problems on my end. I've been able to record all games on YES so far.

#3 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Yes, you can watch games on the RSN.

I always watch the Rangers games on 676 (or one of the alternates) as opposed to the EI channel in the 700s somewhere...

Did you try watching games today during Fox's broadcasting exclusive time period between 1 and 7? If so, that's why you couldn't watch it...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#4 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

no... Last night's Mets game and today's "after hours" Mets game both failed to record. Then when I tried to tune into the Postgame show it said it was blacked out in my area. This never happened last season.

#5 OFFLINE   btarheel646

btarheel646

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

I know I caught something strange when they were discussing the Mets game when I was watching a game on thursday I think. They did mention something about the blackout time on Saturday but I thought that they said that they would join the game in progress once the blackout time was over. Do you guys that have both sports pack and EI find it worth it? Cub fan in Nebraska, but if I can get most of the games on the RSN from the sports pack, I doubt that I actually need EI. Just trying to save a few bucks, don't need every game but 3-4 a week between wgn and the rsn would be great.

#6 OFFLINE   LGM2007

LGM2007

Godfather

• Registered
  • 261 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Today's SNY game was blacked out on EI due to FOX rules stating if the first pitch is prior to 7PM it can not be shown no matter when the broadcast starts. As for the original question, yes you can view the game on it's original channel as well as the EI channel. The EI channel is just a mirrored one. I don't know why you would have had a problem last night. I watched it the game on 639.
My Setup
Enjoy Talking About the Mets? Try The Happy Recap.

#7 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what happens with the game in the morning.

#8 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

pdxsam, where are you located? Since the Mets are playing the Marlin's, then if you are in the Marlin's home territory, then the SNY feed will be blacked out for you. That applies to the game on friday and sunday... Saturday is because of the whole FOX thing.

#9 OFFLINE   colebert

colebert

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Yes, you can record games directly off the RSN channel rather than the EI channel, which of course is just a mapping back to the RSN channel anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you live in an area with more than 1 home team, DirecTV only gives you one RSN by default (and it's their choice.) For example, here we are in Astros, Rangers, Cardinals, and Royals territory which is FS:SW and FS:MW. We get FS:SW w/o sportspack but not FS:MW. I ordered EI w/o sportspack last year and both home & away feeds for the cardinals were blacked out until I bought sports pack. And even then I only got the home feed.

#10 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

pdxsam, where are you located? Since the Mets are playing the Marlin's, then if you are in the Marlin's home territory, then the SNY feed will be blacked out for you. That applies to the game on friday and sunday... Saturday is because of the whole FOX thing.

I'm in NorthWest Oregon, so the only team that's home for me is the Mariners 200 miles away.

Turns out the EI package was never added to my account and that's probably why I'm having issues. Tomorrow will tell.

#11 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

Are you able to watch games on the RSN's channel v.s. EI channel?

Last season I could record Mets games off SNY (639) because I had EI amd the sports pack.

I'm noticing that I can't do that anymore and I'm wondering if it's just me, or, did D* change things up again.

Thanks,
Sam

Even without the sports pack, you can still watch the EI games on the actual RSN as well.

#12 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

This isn't true in all markets.

I live in NW Ohio and receive Cincinnati AND Detroit as my Local RSN. As a subscriber to Choice Plus I also receive the Cleveland (Sports Time) RSN.

Bruce

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you live in an area with more than 1 home team, DirecTV only gives you one RSN by default (and it's their choice.) For example, here we are in Astros, Rangers, Cardinals, and Royals territory which is FS:SW and FS:MW. We get FS:SW w/o sportspack but not FS:MW. I ordered EI w/o sportspack last year and both home & away feeds for the cardinals were blacked out until I bought sports pack. And even then I only got the home feed.

#13 OFFLINE   skizer

skizer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

This isn't true in all markets.

I live in NW Ohio and receive Cincinnati AND Detroit as my Local RSN. As a subscriber to Choice Plus I also receive the Cleveland (Sports Time) RSN.

Bruce

And not true in Indy either....as I get FSNMW - Blues / Pacers, FSN - OH (Cin) - Reds and Comcast Chicago - Cubs / Chi Sox.

#14 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

Yes, you can record games directly off the RSN channel rather than the EI channel, which of course is just a mapping back to the RSN channel anyway.

Not true. Northern Iowa has FSN North and Comcast Sports Chicago in their base packages and Western Iowa has FSN Midwest/KC & Comcast Sports Chicago in their base packages.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#15 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Really! Shouldn't Des Moines then have RSTV, Comcast Chicago, FS North, FS Milwaukee and FS Midwest since we are in all those market areas?
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#16 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

Even without the sports pack, you can still watch the EI games on the actual RSN as well.

But can you record the game on the RSN? My "all channels" guide for the 600# channels shows a mixture of mostly greyed-out and some 'subscribed' channels, even for RSNs far away. Last night, I was able to watch a game on a greyed-out channel, but couldn't record it because I received an error message that I wasn't subscribed to it. I would like to record my favorite team's HD broadcast automatically, but don't know how to do it reliably.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...