Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows Home Server & DirecTV HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psubill78

psubill78

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Has anyone gotten Video streaming to function from their Windows Home Server and any of the HD DVRs?

All my video's show 'x' next to them

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

I have a Vista MMC PC running Intel ViiV and Windows Media Player 11 and very few videos that display with the "X". You can try to use WMP11 or install TVersity, but I don't know about the media server in Windows Home Server.

#3 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Have you installed Playon? You'll need to install WMP11 which is not as easy as it sounds. Go to the Playon website and click on FAQ. You'll find a method for installing Windows Media Player 11 on WHS. I've been able to stream netflix, hulu and tversity. However, an xbox makes a much better media extender than the D box.

#4 OFFLINE   psubill78

psubill78

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

I installed tversity... they all play *just can't FF!!*

All my videos are .mp4's...

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

Has anyone gotten Video streaming to function from their Windows Home Server and any of the HD DVRs?

All my video's show 'x' next to them

The HRs only understand a single video format: MPEG2-TS (transport stream). Likely none of your videos are in this format, and WHS doesn't do any transcoding.

A program like Tversity DOES transcode (convert on the fly) video, which is why most folks who are trying to stream video to their HR end up using Tversity.

The HRs were designed to work with Intel's Viiv, which is a somewhat non-standard implementation of DLNA, and is no longer being developed. Thus, unless you have a Viiv setup, you can't do any trickplay functions. Though this technically could be changed to support the standard method, allowing Tversity and other standard servers to serve content with trickplay capabilities, there may be contractual issues with Intel that prevent it. So, at least for now, with Tversity or any other transcoding Media Server, you can play videos, but not FF or REW.

#6 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

The HRs only understand a single video format: MPEG2-TS (transport stream). Likely none of your videos are in this format, and WHS doesn't do any transcoding.

A program like Tversity DOES transcode (convert on the fly) video, which is why most folks who are trying to stream video to their HR end up using Tversity.

The HRs were designed to work with Intel's Viiv, which is a somewhat non-standard implementation of DLNA, and is no longer being developed. Thus, unless you have a Viiv setup, you can't do any trickplay functions. Though this technically could be changed to support the standard method, allowing Tversity and other standard servers to serve content with trickplay capabilities, there may be contractual issues with Intel that prevent it. So, at least for now, with Tversity or any other transcoding Media Server, you can play videos, but not FF or REW.

Viiv will not play a mpeg2-ts stream (ie DVD with 5.1 audio) I make it my mission to post that everytime someone spouts out that Viiv does trickplay to point this out before someone goes and builds a media server for this function and this function only like me.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

True, which is why DirecTV should recode their media player to use DLNA standards for trickplay. At this point, with Viiv being long dead, Intel shouldn't have a problem, and it would help all the people who want to use Media Share.

#8 OFFLINE   madgrizzle

madgrizzle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I both love and hate MediaShare. I love it because I want to use it to watch my movies, but hate it because I can't fast forward or rewind.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...