Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix streaming question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ok so I have been debating about subscribing to Netflix for the streaming movie part of it. I have very little interest in getting the dvd's in the mail and sending them back.

I ran across http://www.anpark.co...mynetflix-beta/ as an plugin for netflix. However people say it can and can't be used with the 360 as an extender. So I have a couple of questions for people who are using this.

1: Can it be used as an extender without the watch now mode? I don't mind waiting for a movie to be downloaded because I can queue it up in the morning and then watch it later at night.

2: If it can't be used as a 360 extender would the HR work for this?

I was debating about buying the Blue Ray incorporated box they sell on the site by Samsung but I have a feeling in the next 6 months that we will see a serious drop in prices in Blu Ray technology and this service isn't worth the premium for me right now unless I don't have another option. I'm really not interested in buying a card that will output HDMI and then running another cable as I have enough cabling going on through my house at the moment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Won't work with XBox 360
Wont work with any HR unit
Netflix doesn't download movies... you are watching them as they download.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Xbox 360 does an excelent job for netflix. I use it all the time to watch netflix instant access movies as well as Hulu and Tversity.

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

The OP wants to used an add in to Media Center to watch Netflix through the XBox 360... this will not work. You must use the Netflix built in to the XBox 360 and obtain a connection code.

Xbox 360 does an excelent job for netflix. I use it all the time to watch netflix instant access movies as well as Hulu and Tversity.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Another thing to consider is that movies available on the Netflix streaming service is limited in comparison to their DVD and Blu-Ray titles. You will still be renting them by mail especially newer titles.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. I decided to sub to them to test it out and at this time I don't feel their online library is any better then on demand through Directv. Sure there's tons of stuff on there but overall nothing really for the streaming.

Paying $49 for xbox live gold is not worth it to me just for this feature. I was hoping the extender would work. Unfortunately it doesn't at this time.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I decided to sub to them to test it out and at this time I don't feel their online library is any better then on demand through Directv. Sure there's tons of stuff on there but overall nothing really for the streaming.

Paying $49 for xbox live gold is not worth it to me just for this feature. I was hoping the extender would work. Unfortunately it doesn't at this time.

Try VMC NetFlix it's an addon for WMC that allows extenders.

#8 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

[quote name='LarryFlowers']Won't work with XBox 360
Netflix doesn't download movies... you are watching them as they download.[/QUOTE

so i think i am understanding that if i watch a netflix movie,that would not count towards my 5gb of downloads that sprint allows,also while watching movie last night streaming from netflix it keept buffering do to a slowing internet connection if i am in an area with a better signal strenth, closer to cell towers will this stop and my speeds be faster.
hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#9 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

If you stream a movie from Netflix it will count against your bandwidth. You are still using bandwidth.

Also, I do not know what Sprint is capable of delivering but I doubt seriously that any cell phone carrier is delivering a truly acceptable amount of bandwidth for streaming video. I know some people who do it with a 1.5MBS connection, but I would expect 3MBS to be truly necessary to do it right...

[quote name='REDSKINSFAN47'][quote name='LarryFlowers']Won't work with XBox 360
Netflix doesn't download movies... you are watching them as they download.[/QUOTE

so i think i am understanding that if i watch a netflix movie,that would not count towards my 5gb of downloads that sprint allows,also while watching movie last night streaming from netflix it keept buffering do to a slowing internet connection if i am in an area with a better signal strenth, closer to cell towers will this stop and my speeds be faster.[/quote]
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

Won't work with XBox 360
Netflix doesn't download movies... you are watching them as they download.

so i think i am understanding that if i watch a netflix movie,that would not count towards my 5gb of downloads that sprint allows,also while watching movie last night streaming from netflix it keept buffering do to a slowing internet connection if i am in an area with a better signal strenth, closer to cell towers will this stop and my speeds be faster.

To echo what was said above, you're STILL using bandwidth. There's no way you're going to get acceptable quality streaming Netflix via 3G cell service, and the file sizes can vary wildly. You'll be bumping your head against the 5GB cap in no time.

at $50 for a 13 month card, that works out to $3.85 a month. For the price of a breakfast a month I can stream a whole stakc of movies to my 360. Totally worth it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall