Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Braves Games on Peachtree TV

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   owensdj

owensdj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

Is there any news on Dish picking up Atlanta Braves baseball games that air on Peachtree TV? CSS gets them so I don't know why Dish doesn't make the same deal.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

At the moment, Dish only has Peachtree as a local in the Atlanta DMA.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

At the moment, Dish only has Peachtree as a local in the Atlanta DMA.

Yes, thank goodness. Of course, I pick up the games OTA.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

We got a memo last week about Peachtree. Essentially what it said is that Peachtree is considered a local channel in the Atlanta DMA and Dish isn't allowed to offer it outside of that DMA. However apparantly the games that are carried on Peachtree have been offered to other local channels in other DMA's throughout the southeast, its just up to the channels in those other DMA's as to whether they want to pay to carry the games.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

We got a memo last week about Peachtree. Essentially what it said is that Peachtree is considered a local channel in the Atlanta DMA and Dish isn't allowed to offer it outside of that DMA. However apparantly the games that are carried on Peachtree have been offered to other local channels in other DMA's throughout the southeast, its just up to the channels in those other DMA's as to whether they want to pay to carry the games.

Here in Nashville, Comcast offers the Peachtree games and shows them on their CSS channel.

Dish could certainly show these games if they wanted to. Dish has just chosen not to pay for it.

#6 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Here in Nashville, Comcast offers the Peachtree games and shows them on their CSS channel.

Dish could certainly show these games if they wanted to. Dish has just chosen not to pay for it.

Cable companies have different/more lenient rules on locals than Dish/DirecTV.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#7 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Sounds like the CSS channel pays for the right to broadcast the games and CSS is a channel unlike Dish which is a channel provider. Unless Dish plans to go into creating it's own sports channels which then could purchase programming like Braves games. I doubt you'll see Dish paying directly for Braves games, they might pay for a channel that carries the Braves games though.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

It should be noted that DIRECTV does not carry Peachtree Braves Games in HD for its sports packages. Only SD.

#9 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

Cable companies have different/more lenient rules on locals than Dish/DirecTV.

Then why does DirecTv carry the games? Only Dish customers are left out.

#10 OFFLINE   commodore_dude

commodore_dude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like the CSS channel pays for the right to broadcast the games and CSS is a channel unlike Dish which is a channel provider. Unless Dish plans to go into creating it's own sports channels which then could purchase programming like Braves games. I doubt you'll see Dish paying directly for Braves games, they might pay for a channel that carries the Braves games though.

The logical solution would be to at least offer CSS (with separate feeds for Atlanta/other baseball markets and outside Atlanta but Braves markets) on spotbeams like CST is, but it seems like neither sat provider wants to offer it.
E* wants: ESPNU HD, CSS, MLB Network, The Mtn, Gol TV, and full-time HD RSNs!

#11 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

can't you get them on the alternate channels? I get the Reds games on the alternates since I'm considered to be in their territory.

#12 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

can't you get them on the alternate channels? I get the Reds games on the alternates since I'm considered to be in their territory.

Not the Peachtree games. You just get the FSN South and SportSouth games on the main and alternate channels.

#13 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

The logical solution would be to at least offer CSS

Makes sense to me.

#14 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

I would like to say that I would also like to see Peachtree TV Braves games on E*. Can anybody tell me why D* can get these games and E* can not? D* does not show WPCH(outside of the Atlanta market) as a full time channel, rather they only turn it on for the Braves games. The thing is if you have E* you may miss half a series if it is only two games and if it comes down to playoff time and the Braves are still in the hunt you may miss an important game because E* does not carry these games. I don't even care if its only in SD, just want the games that WPCH carries period.

#15 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

BTW, to further prove that why Charlie can't get PTV up on E* as a game only channel is junk, ESPN is simulcasting the "game only" feed of PTV due to the rain delay between the Sox and Yanks. Also, tomorrows game is also on PTV so due to lack of this channel on E* we miss the whole mets series. Way to go Charlie

#16 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Maybe we will get this channel when the Braves get good again. (Man, they are depressing right now... :nono2:)

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Is there any news on Dish picking up Atlanta Braves baseball games that air on Peachtree TV? CSS gets them so I don't know why Dish doesn't make the same deal.

Peachtree.tv isn't a superstation anymore, so Dish cannot import local Braves games. I sorely miss Ted Turner's WTCG. I started watching it in 1979.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

Maybe we will get this channel when the Braves get good again. (Man, they are depressing right now... :nono2:)

I feel your pain. :) Maybe when we get B-Mac back.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#19 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Peachtree.tv isn't a superstation anymore, so Dish cannot import local Braves games. I sorely miss Ted Turner's WTCG. I started watching it in 1979.

You are missing the point, D* has the Peachtree TV games a "game only channel"(as in they only open it up for the games and then cut it off after the game is over) so why can't E* do the same?

It is channel 651 on DirecTV, it is listed in the guide as "BRVS"

Channel Name New Number Old Number
Alternate Channel for Braves Games 651 617

I see on Comcast there is a digital channel called "CSS2HD" I just looked at the Memphis,TN Comcast Guide and it is channel 866. They show the Mets/Braves game in the guide for tonight.

Edited by T_N_T, 05 May 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Aransay

Aransay

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

peachtreetv siwatchabela t eh fairon hotel in banniff and lake loise watching it hee
WAITING AXXIUSLY TO BE FIRST CUSTUMER OF THE NEW MEXICO DISH SERVICES RELATED: hoping t otest it soon

Protected By... spam firewall...And...