Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Twitter??

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rhambling

rhambling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

is DBStalk going to join twitter? noticed that AVS and Satguys our on twitter

SWMline-5 ODU
Winegard SS-2000 OTA
Samsung LN-T4042h 40" LCD
HR21-100 & AM-21[hdmi][wired][ups]
Samsung DVD-1080P7[YPbPr]
Xbox 360[hdmi][wired]
Yamaha RX-V363 AVR
Linksys WRT54G [Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

is DBStalk going to join twitter? noticed that AVS and Satguys our on twitter

Eventually. We have a Twitter account. We just haven't deployed it yet.

#3 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

I'm sort of behind the time here guys.What exactly is Twitter ? Is this something like Facebook or My Space which I know nothing about neither ?
What does it do exactly ? Thanks.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

It's sort of a microblogging space where a user can make very short posts (140 characters or less) and other people can follow those posts. Very popular among the younger folks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

I see.It sounds like it is for the younger crowd just by the name.I'm really not too much into blogging.But I love this site.Thanks for the 411

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Very popular among the younger folks.

I think this is a very key point, but it does seem some not so younger folks are less scared by twitter than some other technological changes over the years.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,186 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Posting one's pointless ramblings in 140 characters?

What's the point?

Who cares?

Not me.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Twitter is probably more popular and used then Facebook actually. Been around a couple years now. Most of my friends are 30+ and most have Twitter accounts so it's not just a young people thing.

I have a Twitter account but I don't follow people to see what they'll eating for lunch. I follow specific software companies to get tweets on software updates, reviews that have been posted, etc. Also follow a few other companies that just post news updates and such. I follow maybe 4 actual people, one of which is my wife! I don't post hardly at all myself, don't see the need. I check it maybe twice a day.

For DBSTalk I can see it useful in a couple ways:
1) Tweet when a new headline hits the homepage
2) Tweet when a new national release of a receiver (DirecTV or Dish) is rolling out
3) Tweet on any other real important site updates (server outage, new forums created, etc)

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

One other thing I thought of over lunch is that a lot/most people do Twitter on their cell phone (not me). So maybe have a separate CE twitter account and post on CE nights when things are in the stream. That way those with cell phones and they get tweet updates don't have to be online in the chat room to know when they can download the latest CE.

Just an idea.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Scott and congrats! You are the first subscriber! :) Just got the e-mail.

I know there is nothing there right now but we are working on some stuff behind the scenes. Keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Posting one's pointless ramblings in 140 characters?

What's the point?

Who cares?

Not me.

Being 23, I couldn't give two tweets about Twitter. I thought it was a cool idea until the 140 character limit. Reading Tweets hurts my head, I find them incoherent and annoying with all the AOL IM and text message speak. Twitter is the new ‘in’ thing, two years from now it will be forgotten about.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#12 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

I just heard about all the viruses that were making their way through Face Book & My Space and I didn't want to get involved with them.Matter of fact there was a story on WCBS 2 here in NY today about women over 55 getting into Twitter.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Feel free to climb on board early:

http://twitter.com/dbstalk

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Be sure to add it to the We Follow directory at wefollow.com (assuming you want to advertise it).

And there is a setting in the profile where you can turn off your updates from going into the public stream. That way only those that follow you will see the updates (could be important for any CE updates).

Hmnmmmm, I seem to know a lot about Twitter despite not using it much. :D Must be all the techy podcasts I listen too.

#15 ONLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Feel free to climb on board early:

http://twitter.com/dbstalk

Alright, Chris, I figure you're one of those who would know, what benefit(s) would there be to "Twit" DBSTalk as opposed to my daily visits to check new threads/posts/news? Any?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Being 23, I couldn't give two tweets about Twitter. I thought it was a cool idea until the 140 character limit. Reading Tweets hurts my head, I find them incoherent and annoying with all the AOL IM and text message speak. Twitter is the new ‘in’ thing, two years from now it will be forgotten about.

Ah come on Steve. That's what you said about the iPhone. :)

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Alright, Chris, I figure you're one of those who would know, what benefit(s) would there be to "Twit" DBSTalk as opposed to my daily visits to check new threads/posts/news? Any?

Depends what they use it for I guess. I think for us daily (or multi daily) visitors probably not much. But for those that don't visit as often the headline updates would be nice. Announcements such as new HD channels and so forth, things like that. I can see it being very useful just for server outages. If the site is down we have no idea what is going on but via Twitter Chris can let us know it's down, what's being done to bring it back up, estimated time down and when it's back.

Oh, and it's "tweet", not Twit (which is a podcast by Leo Laporte). ;)

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Pretty much was bonscott said. When we update the homepage we will probably tweet it along with other information of interest.

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Wow! We already have over a hundred followers. Thanks for joining us guys!

#20 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

So the Tweet this morning about the new HD locals is a great example. I typically can't get to DBSTalk until near lunch time, sometimes not until the afternoon if I'm busy in meetings. But I usually check Twitter a couple times in the morning because it's quick and to see the latest news is great so if it's something I really want more info on *now* I can make the time to go to DBSTalk as soon as I can.

Now something you can do that most people and companies do in Tweets is to offer a direct URL to the article or like for your 1080p Tweet, to the Extras forum. Most usually use TinyUrl. For example I just created this one for the Extras forums: http://tinyurl.com/cbwexg

Keep it up!

spam firewall