Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Slimline Multi HDDVR Install Friday

l655

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi all,

After over 15 years with TWC, I'm moving to the world of DirecTV.

This Friday, I have an install scheduled with the following:

SWM Slimline
3 HR22's.

The dish will RG6 home run to a 'wireroom' in my home. I already have RG6 runs from that location to each of my HDTV locations.

I'd love confirmation of the following, plus I'd welcome any pointers.

1. I understand that a single wire from the dish to the distribution point in the wireroom is all I need with this configuration?

2. Will a single RG6 coax from the distribution point to each H22 suffice? Do I loose any functiality with this method? Do I gain anything with a multiwire install?

3. With this setup, no BBC's are needed, since the dish handles that function.

What am I missing? ;-) Anything I should look for, or request of the installler?

Thank you very much,

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hi all,

After over 15 years with TWC, I'm moving to the world of DirecTV.

This Friday, I have an install scheduled with the following:

SWM Slimline
3 HR22's.

The dish will RG6 home run to a 'wireroom' in my home. I already have RG6 runs from that location to each of my HDTV locations.

I'd love confirmation of the following, plus I'd welcome any pointers.

1. I understand that a single wire from the dish to the distribution point in the wireroom is all I need with this configuration?

2. Will a single RG6 coax from the distribution point to each H22 suffice? Do I loose any functiality with this method? Do I gain anything with a multiwire install?

3. With this setup, no BBC's are needed, since the dish handles that function.

What am I missing? ;-) Anything I should look for, or request of the installler?

Thank you very much,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes. You will not lose any functionality. The point of SWM is to eliminate the need for a second cable run to each DVR.

3. Correct. No BBCs are needed with SWM.

Sounds like you should be all set. Enjoy.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I agree. Sounds like you've got everything perfect.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

My first post on this topic was MONTHS ago. I'm finially just pulling the trigger after months of study. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Keep in mind that there is a possiblility that the installer may not have swm available for the install. With that being said.

4 lines from the dish.

wb68 switch

2 lines to each dvr.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Well if you want to add some features to your setup like call waiting on the TV, and networking , Run 2-Cat5E to each spot. Use one for phoneline (Any tech likes this because they are required to get as many hooked up to phones as possible), and one for networking your DVRs.

#7 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

I am interested in knowing how the OP knows which dish and receivers will be installed? I read where you will receive a SWM if you have 5 or more lines installed…2 DVR’s and one standard receiver or greater but how does he know he will get HR22’s? I ordered two HDDVR’s and one standard receiver. I got a SWM and a HR22 plus a HR23.

I would consider running CAT 5 and phone line….assuming you don’t have a phone outlet near the receiver if you want Caller ID. You may get the installer to run it for you but be ready to pay extra. That and my installer told me DirectSat does not connect the DVR’s to the network even though D* promotes OnDemand.

#8 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Keep in mind that there is a possiblility that the installer may not have swm available for the install. With that being said.

4 lines from the dish.

wb68 switch

2 lines to each dvr.

I ordered through my installer, with a required list of hardware. So I know in advance what I'm getting.

#9 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Well if you want to add some features to your setup like call waiting on the TV, and networking , Run 2-Cat5E to each spot. Use one for phoneline (Any tech likes this because they are required to get as many hooked up to phones as possible), and one for networking your DVRs.

I'm all over the IT side of it. I actually have 4 cat6's on that wall, 2 of which are already in use. They all terminate close to my phone patch, so jumping one over won't be an issue at all.

That said, any issue with running DTV over VoIP?

#10 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am interested in knowing how the OP knows which dish and receivers will be installed? I read where you will receive a SWM if you have 5 or more lines installed…2 DVR’s and one standard receiver or greater but how does he know he will get HR22’s? I ordered two HDDVR’s and one standard receiver. I got a SWM and a HR22 plus a HR23.

I would consider running CAT 5 and phone line….assuming you don’t have a phone outlet near the receiver if you want Caller ID. You may get the installer to run it for you but be ready to pay extra. That and my installer told me DirectSat does not connect the DVR’s to the network even though D* promotes OnDemand.

I placed a standing order with my installer, with a list of required hardware. Once he had the hardware, we scheduled installation

The ethernet is taken care of. I can use one of the spare ethernet lines as a voice feed..

any ideas on the 'will DTV work over VoIP question"?

#11 OFFLINE   Miller

Miller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

I ordered through my installer, with a required list of hardware. So I know in advance what I'm getting.

The more I learn, the more I wish I would of gone with a local installer...assuming I could of received the same deal.

#12 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

The more I learn, the more I wish I would of gone with a local installer...assuming I could of received the same deal.

I actually 'know' this guy, we go back aways. I wouldn't call us friends, but I do trust what he tells me. I've used him on multiple locations (none of which were my home). I ended up paying about $40 bucks more on a $400 hardware order, but I think its worth it to get what I want.

That said, he knows it will be an easy install, becuase of all the prewire I did when we built the house. So, I think it's a win/win for each of us.

#13 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

4 lines from the dish.

wb68 switch

2 lines to each dvr.

I ordered through my installer, with a list of hardware I want. So, I already know it's a swm and HR22s.

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

I ordered through my installer, with a list of hardware I want. So, I already know it's a swm and HR22s.

Good deal. Not the cheapest way to go, but as you've already found out, the level of service with a local retailer will be miles ahead of what the HSP force can offer.

The only drawback, which you are probably already are aware of, is that the SWMLnb supports up to 8 tuners. Could be a limit in the future.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#15 OFFLINE   dkouz

dkouz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

any ideas on the 'will DTV work over VoIP question"?

In my two short years of being in this business I have only had problems with VoIP a handful of times. The number one reason that I have seen for VoIP not working has been new voicemail messages. Reason being when the receiver checks for a dial tone all that it 'hears' are the waiting message beeps and does not stay connected long enough to 'hear' the dial tone. Clear the new voicemail(s) and it works as designed.

#16 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Good deal. Not the cheapest way to go, but as you've already found out, the level of service with a local retailer will be miles ahead of what the HSP force can offer.

The only drawback, which you are probably already are aware of, is that the SWMLnb supports up to 8 tuners. Could be a limit in the future.

Very true. The money wasn't as important (to me) as getting the equipment I wanted, and being able to trust my installer.

As far as the 8 Tuner limit, is there ANY way around that limitation?

#17 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

In my two short years of being in this business I have only had problems with VoIP a handful of times. The number one reason that I have seen for VoIP not working has been new voicemail messages. Reason being when the receiver checks for a dial tone all that it 'hears' are the waiting message beeps and does not stay connected long enough to 'hear' the dial tone. Clear the new voicemail(s) and it works as designed.

Great. Thanks for the info.

Just out of curosity, why doesn't the boxes default to using the internet, assuming that is available, and fall back to phone line if necessary?

I remeber back when I put a NIC in my series one standalone TIVO (not to mention a second hard drive). Even that device would default to using the internet.

#18 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

As far as the 8 Tuner limit, is there ANY way around that limitation?

Have to replace the SWM LNB with a 3 or 5 LNB with the older 4 coax out, split into a (separately purchased) SWM8 and WB68, 2 SWM8's, or 2 WB68's.

Or put up a second dish.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#19 OFFLINE   KCCraash

KCCraash

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

[quote name='doctrsnoop']Have to replace the SWM LNB with a 3 or 5 LNB with the older 4 coax out, split into a (separately purchased) SWM8 and WB68, 2 SWM8's, or 2 WB68's.

Or put up a second dish.[/]

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

I don't see 8 tuners being an issue for a couple years when the kids get older. ;-)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...