Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bangor Maine HD Locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Ok, just fiddled with this some more. Not sure what this means, but maybe it'll help folks figure out what is going on. I just tried to watch the Simpsons that I had recorded from earlier today on Fox22, and at first it seemed to have the same issues as the live channel. I then skipped back and the picture came in. I then exited out of the recorded program and went to the live channel and it was coming in? Still not sure what exactly is going on, but it seems that the signal is coming in, but the receiver is having trouble showing it at times?

This worked for me as well. I'm still getting a gray screen when trying to tune Fox22 live, but i recorded a show, and it plays fine. Very strange:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

when it shows like this have you tried just switching the hdmi switch inputs then switching back? this is why I had wondered about hdmi previously.
iirc some had reported odd issues with auto switching hdmi switches, I am using a manual/remote switch and have not had issues like this.

I actually have a manual hdmi witch with a remote as you have.

I don't know if you read my previous post, but if I dvr Fox22, then it properly records the show, but it still will not tune it live, only a gray screen:confused:

#83 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

I think its actually less of a tune issue and more of a display (for live view) issue. not sure if I explained that right.
why I'm wondering if reforcing handshake would make it work, switching input back and forth, while leaving receiver on the channel.
that make sense?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#84 ONLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

I think its actually less of a tune issue and more of a display (for live view) issue. not sure if I explained that right.
why I'm wondering if reforcing handshake would make it work, switching input back and forth, while leaving receiver on the channel.
that make sense?

Dave that makes sense to me, and I just tried it, but still no dice. As a temporary workaround, I just hit record and then played the show, and then deleted it and it now comes in live, but when I change channels it goes back to the dreaded gray screen. I'm going to try my other tv not running through the switch and see if that is the culprit. I definitely agree with you that its a "handshake" issue. It just can't seem to reestablish it.

#85 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

I was going to ask if you had another tv.
been trying to duplicate it here. I have 1 setup going through switch and another straight to tv. been messing with res and native settings and I can't get it to do this.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#86 OFFLINE   spaceghostinME

spaceghostinME

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

I was going to ask if you had another tv.
been trying to duplicate it here. I have 1 setup going through switch and another straight to tv. been messing with res and native settings and I can't get it to do this.

Ok, I'm still getting the issue as well, and its not an HDMI one as my second TV is an SD one connected by component cable to the HR20. I do have a multiswitch that splits to each unit. I wonder if its an HR20 vs HR21 issue? I think Bobwhite said that he had HR20s and you're using an HR21, right? I suppose we should report to DirecTV to see if they have any advice, but I just hate dealing with their tech support. Since recorded shows seem to work ok, I may just live with it for now. Keep me updated with any thoughts on getting this fixed. Thanks!

#87 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

yes, all HR21 here. could be HR20 issue since it isn't isolated to just hdmi.
I'm out of ideas then :(
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#88 ONLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Ok, I'm still getting the issue as well, and its not an HDMI one as my second TV is an SD one connected by component cable to the HR20. I do have a multiswitch that splits to each unit. I wonder if its an HR20 vs HR21 issue? I think Bobwhite said that he had HR20s and you're using an HR21, right? I suppose we should report to DirecTV to see if they have any advice, but I just hate dealing with their tech support. Since recorded shows seem to work ok, I may just live with it for now. Keep me updated with any thoughts on getting this fixed. Thanks!

I agree it must be an HR20 issue, and also that I have no desire to spend hours on the phone with their tech support to come to the same conclusion that we already have reached. I'll live with it until they take away my N.Y. Fox, and then I will talk them into a couple shiny new HR21's:D Thanks for help from you and Dave:D

#89 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

not sure how much help I was but we did try :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#90 OFFLINE   spaceghostinME

spaceghostinME

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

Well, I was out today, but the Mrs. said that both tuners downloaded an update of some sort and now the problem appears to be gone. So...it would seem that DirecTV was aware of the issue and did something to fix it. Or, it could be a huge coincidence. :D Either way it seems to be resolved for the time being so I am happy.

#91 OFFLINE   sundude90

sundude90

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Is the guide still messed up with no HD in it?

What issue did this update fix? What was it a software update?

Edited by sundude90, 18 April 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#92 OFFLINE   spaceghostinME

spaceghostinME

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

Is the guide still messed up with no HD in it?

What issue did this update fix? What was it a software update?

I have no inside knowledge of what the update fixed, if anything for sure. The issue that I and another person were experiencing was with FOX 22 not displaying the live feed correctly. All I really know is that my wife said that the receivers in both rooms downloaded something, and after that this issue seems to have rectified itself. I suppose it could have just been a coincidence, but it seemed interesting none-the-less.

#93 ONLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Well, I was out today, but the Mrs. said that both tuners downloaded an update of some sort and now the problem appears to be gone. So...it would seem that DirecTV was aware of the issue and did something to fix it. Or, it could be a huge coincidence. :D Either way it seems to be resolved for the time being so I am happy.

Ditto for me as well. It tuned in just like all the other channels after that update. I'm not asking any questions as long as it continues to work.:D

#94 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Ditto for me as well. It tuned in just like all the other channels after that update. I'm not asking any questions as long as it continues to work.:D

enjoy Fox Animation Domination tonight in HD :) :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#95 OFFLINE   sundude90

sundude90

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

I called George at WVII Abc 7 and he didn't hear anything from Directv about these problems. He said he has had lots of people calling him about the problems, so he called Directv and then still haven't called back. He called them last Thursday.

#96 OFFLINE   sundude90

sundude90

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

I am home now and I don't see any fixes to these problems. There is nothing different at all. What the heck is taking Directv so long to fix these issues.

#97 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

unfortunately I don't know of anyway to find out what their holdup is.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#98 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Mods, should these problems be moved to the appropriate thread in hd-locals issues here?
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=156335
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#99 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

Mods, should these problems be moved to the appropriate thread in hd-locals issues here?
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=156335

yes
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall