Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

After OTA channel scan, ALWAYS force a guide download!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

I'm posting this now, as 3 of our local OTA Denver channels went digital only last night, and 2 of them changed broadcast channels, which required an OTA channel rescan.

Currently, there is a serious bug with all Dish Network HD DVR receivers that will cause your OTA timers to be "lost" for at least a day after doing an OTA channel scan. When your OTA timers get "lost", the timer events show up in the Timers list, but no events scheduled to record show up in the Daily Schedule.

The workaround: When you do an OTA channel rescan, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS force a guide data download after you finish the scan. The guide data download, in addition to updating your guide data, rebuilds the timer database from the Timers list. This will "reschedule" your OTA timers so that they will show up again in your Daily Schedule.

The nightly maintenance update will also do this (or at least is supposed to do this), but if you have OTA timers scheduled to record between the time you do the channel scan and the time your reciever does the nightly maintenance, they will not fire.

I'm yelling at the top of my lungs to Dish Network to get this fixed, but it hasn't happened yet.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

The workaround: When you do an OTA channel rescan, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS force a guide data download after you finish the scan.

Sounds like a good tip!

Please refresh our memories... how do you force a guide data download?

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

Oops....sorry - I forgot to put that in there.

To force a guide data download, scroll to the end of the guide, and if it's at all out of date, you will get the option to download the guide data.

If you don't get the option, rescan your OTA channels, and then scroll to the end of the guide, and you will get the option to download the guide data again.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Oops....sorry - I forgot to put that in there.

To force a guide data download, scroll to the end of the guide, and if it's at all out of date, you will get the option to download the guide data.

If you don't get the option, rescan your OTA channels, and then scroll to the end of the guide, and you will get the option to download the guide data again.

Performing a Check Switch will download a new guide as well.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Thanks! No wonder I couldn't find a menu item for it...

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#6 OFFLINE   milacqua

milacqua

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

A guide for the OTA stations? I never heard of such. I do not subscribe to Dish locals because we will never get them in HD out here in the sticks where I live. I do fine with my deep fringe area Channel Master atop a 60' tower and with this set up and rotor, I can pull in my "locals" and get an excellent HD picture.

Because I do not subscribe to Dish locals, my local program guide always shows "digital programming" (or something like that). It never gives a time slot or name of specific shows and programming. If I set a timer to record anything OTA, I have to go in and do it with a manual set-up, telling the dvr what channel number, what time to start recording and when to stop recording - like the old vcrs. There is no way I have been able to get a program guide on my 622. Is this something new?

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

A guide for the OTA stations? I never heard of such. I do not subscribe to Dish locals because we will never get them in HD out here in the sticks where I live. I do fine with my deep fringe area Channel Master atop a 60' tower and with this set up and rotor, I can pull in my "locals" and get an excellent HD picture.

Because I do not subscribe to Dish locals, my local program guide always shows "digital programming" (or something like that). It never gives a time slot or name of specific shows and programming. If I set a timer to record anything OTA, I have to go in and do it with a manual set-up, telling the dvr what channel number, what time to start recording and when to stop recording - like the old vcrs. There is no way I have been able to get a program guide on my 622. Is this something new?

Since I do subscribe to locals I am not sure, but you might try using the Web to set OTA.
http://dish.sling.com
It would be nice if they made it easier to set manual timers. Even just having the Digital programming slip into time slots on the half hours would help.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

A guide for the OTA stations? I never heard of such. I do not subscribe to Dish locals because we will never get them in HD out here in the sticks where I live.

Subscribe to your local channels and you'll get EPG data for your OTA channels.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

Subscribe to your local channels and you'll get EPG data for your OTA channels.

I just subscribed to Dish Network and have the 722k w/ OTA module. We get local OTA from two markets but I'm only seeing guide info for the locals we sub to on Dish. All the other channels just say "Digitial Program" in the program info.

How do I get these other channels to show up in the guide?

Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

What is the other market? Does Dish carry it and, if so, on which satellite? Do you have a dish pointed at that satellite?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#11 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

What is the other market? Does Dish carry it and, if so, on which satellite? Do you have a dish pointed at that satellite?

Fayetteville, AR. It's not yet carried in HD by dish. The DMA I'm sub'd to is Springfield, MO. Sat is aimed at the Eastern arc.

On my non-DVR HD receiver, the guide is populated. But not the 722k.

#12 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

Fayetteville, AR. It's not yet carried in HD by dish. The DMA I'm sub'd to is Springfield, MO. Sat is aimed at the Eastern arc.

On my non-DVR HD receiver, the guide is populated. But not the 722k.

Shouldn't matter if they don't carry the HD. They normally will have the guide for any station the carry the SD feed for. They even supply some sub channels and a few that they don't carry in the guide.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#13 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

The guide is populated this morning. Looks like it would have done that when I forced a guide download. Oh well, at least it's working now.

Glad I got the OTA module. The sat-delivered "HD" locals seem pretty soft in comparison.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...