Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The no-music channels

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Just checked the MTV/VH1/Fuse channels and only found one playing a music video - Fuse. The MTV and VH1 channels were all playing reality shows, except for one drug culture "documentary" on VH1 Classics. Jeez...
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WB3FFV

WB3FFV

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

I agree, in the old days so to speak, MTV was great, then they decided that MTV no longer stood for music, but alas to the rescue came VH1 that played the music that MTV stopped playing. Well as they say, all good things much come to an end, and they got away from playing music as well.

I'll listen to the XM channels for music, but I don't even waste my time with the music video channels, it's a lost cause..

#3 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

PLDAHD - Channel 332- music all day-- in HD

#4 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

It really is sad to see what CBS/Viacom has done to VH-1 Classic :(

Then again, that's par for the course when it comes to the CBS/Viacom owned cable networks.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#5 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

PLDAHD - Channel 332- music all day-- in HD

Sadly, that's part of the HD Extra pack, an extra $5 or $6 a month.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

"Jump Start" on VH1 plays continuous videos every morning for hours.

What? You don't have a DirecTV DVR? Too bad.

MTV and the other music channels actually play videos too-but when most people are sleeping.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

The only good thing about VH-1 these days is the Top 100 and decade nostalgia shows they do. They suck my wife and I into them all the time. I guess I resemble the demographic or something... :lol:
Rob

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Do they even make music videos anymore? With MTV/VH1 not showing music videos and the cost to produce them, I would think they wouldn't be making them anymore?

#9 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

There are quite a number of outlets other than MTV Networks for airing music videos. CBS Viacom--you suck!

I agree that MTV/VH1/ect has definitely done itself a disservice by programming all this CRAP over the past decade or so.

I just can't believe that people are watching this slop. I will say that a few shows are ok (true life, mtv docs). BUT the majority are terrible and the biggest problem is they run an episode over and over and over again to fill up the time slots.

PLAY MUSIC you dumb buggers!!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   Zellio

Zellio

Icon

• Banned User
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

You can get most music videos on youtube.

BTW, MTV truly died when they canceled Beavis and Butthead.

#11 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

MTV, VH1, FUSE, and the dumbfounded MTV2 simply make me sick.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

Not exactly what you find so shocking, it's pretty well known MTV and VH1 haven't played music videos well over a decade on a regular basis if at all. They're more pop culture channels then anything. Palladia HD, MTV Jams, MTV Hits, VH1 Soul and CMT Pure Country do play music videos though.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#13 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

It seems these threads pop up whenever someone decides to put on a music channel they used to watch a decade or so back. Remember? You watched for an hour or so until they played a video you thought was stupid or until you decided to get on with real life. You were in your late teens to early 20s. And you're how old now? Well, your age has changed, but their target demographic age hasn't and I can testify that it's still the late teen to early 20s audience they pull in. Oh, and they realized there's only so many music videos you'll watch back-to-back before you change the channel.

That's where the rental companies like Netflix step in. My last rental was "Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett". Before that "The Passing Show: The Life and Times of Ronnie Lane", a Godsend for Small Faces/Faces/Ronnie Lane fans, but very unlikely to ever air on the channels Steve Mehs listed above. And speaking of Palladia, I'm not all the impressed with them either seeing as how they censor.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#14 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

It seems these threads pop up whenever someone decides to put on a music channel they used to watch a decade or so back. Remember? You watched for an hour or so until they played a video you thought was stupid or until you decided to get on with real life. You were in your late teens to early 20s. And you're how old now? Well, your age has changed, but their target demographic age hasn't and I can testify that it's still the late teen to early 20s audience they pull in. Oh, and they realized there's only so many music videos you'll watch back-to-back before you change the channel.

That's where the rental companies like Netflix step in. My last rental was "Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett". Before that "The Passing Show: The Life and Times of Ronnie Lane", a Godsend for Small Faces/Faces/Ronnie Lane fans, but very unlikely to ever air on the channels Steve Mehs listed above. And speaking of Palladia, I'm not all the impressed with them either seeing as how they censor.

I agree.

And Palladia, who came up with that name, and how do you even pronounce it? :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

I agree.

And Palladia, who came up with that name, and how do you even pronounce it? :lol:

puh-LAY-de-uh

#16 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Video killed the radio star.

Reality shows killed video.

Standing by to see what kills reality shows. And so it goes.

Old School Jeff, who misses the "radio star" days

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

It really is sad to see what CBS/Viacom has done to VH-1 Classic :(

Then again, that's par for the course when it comes to the CBS/Viacom owned cable networks.

They have MTV HITS & MTV SOUL which plays music. The only MSO that has it is U-verse.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Video killed the radio star.

Reality shows killed video.

Standing by to see what kills reality shows.

Whatever it is, it needs to hurry up already.

#19 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

They have MTV HITS & MTV SOUL which plays music. The only MSO that has it is U-verse.

I love that folks mention MTV Networks channels that D* doesnt have and probably never will.
:nono2::nono:

#20 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

FUSE has videos on a lot of the time actually. Palladia is also awesome most of the time.

VH1 and MTV have not had videos for a long time, nothing new. I do hate that VH1 Classic seems to be getting less and less good shows though.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...