Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The no-music channels

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

We had an attorney from MTV Networks come and speak at my office last year. He said everywhere he goes, when it comes out he works for MTV, people jump down his throat.. "WHERE'S THE MUSIC VIDEOS?!?!" His answer was simply that kids (to whom videos are predominantly marketed) are no longer willing to wait for their favorite video to come up on a TV show... Instead they get the videos on-demand from YouTube or Yahoo Music and stream it to whatever they want to watch it on.

Plus, music video budgets are WAY down since the music industry is hardly profitable anymore... The first thing to get cut was video budgets... So it doesn't make for compelling TV like it did in the 90's.

Not saying I agree... Just saying that was the case he made.

Makes sense. Why load a station with music videos.....no one is going to sit through endless commercials and other music videos just to wait for the one video they really want to see. Not when they can pull the music video on the internet instantly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

MTV has "AMTV" & VH1 has "Jumpstart" in the mornings....arent those video shows ?

Jump Start is pretty lame. It's mainly the same stuff that's on MTV Hits and MTVU, more rap and pop oriented, and a strange mix of old stuff (like a Beyonce hit from 4 years ago, then maybe Nickelback, then something ghetto, then an annoying American Idol winner song that is played to death (on FM)). Same stuff that's on FM. Also within that 4 hour loop, videos are repeated. I think its targeted for people on treadmills who at most tune in for 15 minutes.

VH1 used to air "Fresh" a one hour show that would precede it at 5am, and then again at 10am (EST). It would air more alternative, rnb and better pop ...Id find Sara Barailles, Natasha Bedingfield, Rachael Yamagata videos and the videos seemed to fit together better even if different genres. and it would be mostly NEW stuff at the time. It wasn't great but it was something. However as of last year, VH1 cancelled it!:mad: VH1's website indicates that it still airs on SAT at 9am, but I didn't find it last time I checked.
http://www.vh1.com/s...ies_about.jhtml

Another one like VH1 Classic that's gone is ,The Tube, which would air on local stations, on the digital subchannels.

However, I find stuff now on MusicChoice but its not video. MusicChoice, on Comcast and Fios, however has some music/artist info on the background which is nice. I haven't checked Fuse but given that its a basic cable thing, I wouldnt have high expectations.

Edited by rnbmusicfan, 24 April 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Yes, there are brief points during the day that MTV shows videos (mainly overnight and early morning.) My main point was that even with four MTV/VH1 nets, most of the time all four are showing reality stuff instead of music. You'd think they could do a better job of cross programming the nets and offer a little variety. VH1/VH1C used to be mostly music-related programming, but now even those channels are full of non-music stuff.

Heck, at this point I'd settle for watching Milli-Vanilli Behind the Music again. ;)

My cousin watches the reality shows on MTV. I do notice though that pop music is aired during the show (for a min at most) at different points - like ending credits. But its not in the way Scrubs or The OC does it, where its to plug some indy music. It's mostly heard of familiar stuff that plays on the radio. I suppose this it what makes it tie back to MTV being about music.

Edited by rnbmusicfan, 24 April 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Even if the traditional, old-school music vide format is no longer the programming draw it used to be, there are plenty of ways MTV/VH1 could develop programming that would stay true to the music genre. They could do band profiles, making-of/behind the scenes sorts of shows, tour specials, bring back MTV Unplugged, etc.

I don't know, maybe all that would sound really boring to 15 year olds, but then again, they made High School Musical a hit.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...