Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDMI Over Cat6

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   biz56

biz56

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

I need run hdmi about 60 feet from my satellite box to LCD TV in another room. It must run down one wall, above a drop ceiling in the basement, up an existing 3/4" conduit to the attic, and down a second wall to the TV. HDMI cable seems out of the question due to its bulk and tight turns required, so I'm looking at the products to do this with Cat5e/6 cable. I am confused over what would work best in my situation.

Amazon sells a Tripp Lite wallplate extender kit for HDMI using 2 Cat 5e/6 cables that seems like a nice solution.

Or should I go with one of the powered extender balums that appear designed for a longer run than 60 feet. Any particular models that you have had good experience with? Is shielded cable a must?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

It seems to me that anywhere you could run CAT6 (which has similar bend radius requirements, but is less protected against damage), you could run an actual HDMI cable and save a lot of money. The converters you're talking about are expensive! It might be one thing if you already had the CAT6 installed, but since you don't, just go HDMI and take your time doing the installation.

For those lenghts, I recommend Blue Jeans Cable. The premium cables are designed for the abuse of in-wall retrofit installations, and use the highest-quality materials at a very reasonable price; far less than any Monster cable.

#3 OFFLINE   Allen Noland

Allen Noland

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

I just installed a set of these from monoprice. I'm only using Cat5-E. I'm only going about 30-40', but I'm going through a patch panel and keystones. They work great and were just over $100. I already had the cable in the wall though.
Allen

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I'd go with the cat5 and balluns. That HDMI connector is damn big to snake through a wall.
Did a custom job with them and it worked like a charm.

Most of them work with two cat5s, if money is no object there also is a one cat5 solution.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

I'd go with the cat5 and balluns. That HDMI connector is damn big to snake through a wall.
Did a custom job with them and it worked like a charm.

Most of them work with two cat5s, if money is no object there also is a one cat5 solution.

I've never seen HDMI over a single CAT5. Would you happen to have a link to someone who sells it? I have a room where I could really use it..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

I have seen HDMI over one Cat5 cable, but it did not include audio, a second cable was required.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

I've never seen HDMI over a single CAT5. Would you happen to have a link to someone who sells it? I have a room where I could really use it..

http://www.svideo.com/hdmi1080p.html

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Interesting thread. I noticed that the 1080p extender from the above post is only HDMI 1.2a, so that's something to consider. The price is also rather steep, at $299, while a 100ft cable (1.3) from Monoprice can be had for $99 ...

I guess it really comes down to the length of the required run and how easy or difficult it will be to pull the cable...

#9 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Interesting thread. I noticed that the 1080p extender from the above post is only HDMI 1.2a, so that's something to consider. The price is also rather steep, at $299, while a 100ft cable (1.3) from Monoprice can be had for $99 ...

I guess it really comes down to the length of the required run and how easy or difficult it will be to pull the cable...

It is indeed expensive, but that is mainly due to the one cat5 run. If you can run dual cat5 the cost is just around $100.

If you can fish HDMI it is probably the better solution but there are just times when you can't. I ran into that situation.

#10 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

There are many solutions. I've had something called RapidRun cables suggested to me once, http://www.cablestog...asp?cat_id=4100 They're expensive, but they appear to be very easy to fish, and are somewhat future-proof in that you can change the ends easily without running new cable.

OWlink has a fiberoptic method that will run up to 300 feet and the fiber is so thin you don't have to fish it through walls - at worst a little spackle and paint will hide it completely, or run it in the corner joint between wall and ceiling or wall and wall. It's still fairly expensive though, so it depends on how much you want to spend.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#11 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

FYI great deal on some cat5 extenders:

http://www.supermedi...=dealnews090420

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,533 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

I need run hdmi about 60 feet from my satellite box to LCD TV in another room.

Do you really "need" to? In other words, are you using the receiver to serve up two HD displays?

Moving the receiver may be a more attractive option given the right circumstances.

Yeah, I thought about networking issues and that you may not have options in the other room.

spam firewall