Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the minimum bandwidth you can have for netflix streaming?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

I can't find this information on netflix's website.

I just got switched over to a DSL connection, but since i'm 17k feet from the switch, 1.5Mbps is the fastest we could get.

Would I be able to stream the HD quality netflix to my computer?

I know it doesn't download movies, but does the buffer load far enough into the movie that we could actually use the service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

You will not get HD at that speed, other than that, Netflix will test your connection to determine the best download speed for you, but you are probably going to see a lot of buffering.

I can't find this information on netflix's website.

I just got switched over to a DSL connection, but since i'm 17k feet from the switch, 1.5Mbps is the fastest we could get.

Would I be able to stream the HD quality netflix to my computer?

I know it doesn't download movies, but does the buffer load far enough into the movie that we could actually use the service?

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:07 AM

I have a 1.5 connection. I get SD, and its "okay" on my TV (much better on my computer due to the smaller screen).

I do not see buffering to the point where I cancel the download, but it comes close.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#4 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

okay.

thanks for the replies.

#5 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

i signed up for the free trial to test the streaming.

its decent. i'd say its comparable to hulu video.

i tried to force a higher streaming bitrate to increase quality, but my only options are what is within my speed range (500,1000,1500).

At the lowest quality, it takes about 20 seconds to buffer, and there are no pauses in the video to buffer again.

At 1500, it takes about 4 min. for the buffer, and there are no pauses in the video for it to load again.

#6 OFFLINE   bluejay75

bluejay75

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

I just moved and can't even get 1.5Mbps .. only 0.52Kbps !!! I'm freaking.. But just out of tiredness I tried connecting my Nintendo Wii (wifi) with Netflix to the Qwest DSL router, and currently streaming "SolarBabies" .. It took about ~2 mins to buffer at the beginning and I was able to play the movie for about ~20mins before it started buffering again .. I was shocked it would actually load and play in the first place ...

On the 2nd buffer it took about 2-3mins to buffer before playing again.. I'm guessing this 2nd buffer started because I went to the computer to find this website and start posting a comment ..

Will try again during daylight time when I have more time to test.. right now sleep is a priority

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

I believe Netflix adjusts their bandwidth to your service. Ive started watching a movie, and it started rather fuzzy, but them popped to a DVD quality PQ after about 20 seconds.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:33 AM

I just moved and can't even get 1.5Mbps .. only 0.52Kbps !!! I'm freaking.. But just out of tiredness I tried connecting my Nintendo Wii (wifi) with Netflix to the Qwest DSL router, and currently streaming "SolarBabies" .. It took about ~2 mins to buffer at the beginning and I was able to play the movie for about ~20mins before it started buffering again .. I was shocked it would actually load and play in the first place ...

On the 2nd buffer it took about 2-3mins to buffer before playing again.. I'm guessing this 2nd buffer started because I went to the computer to find this website and start posting a comment ..

Will try again during daylight time when I have more time to test.. right now sleep is a priority

Bluejay, welcome to DBSTalk...good first post and contribution to the topic. I'm about to get Roku and, to think, I was concerned about my bandwidth!

Posted Image . Posted Image

And, yes, sleep is always a priority. :new_sleep

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

Posted Image
:lol:

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

I can successful get HD on Netflix with 3Mbps DSL here.

Then again, its not just about the bandwidth...its also about the latency levels of that connection at your location.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image
:lol:

Yeah, but your up sucks and your ping sucks and your ISP only has 3 stars!!! :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, but your up sucks and your ping sucks and your ISP only has 3 stars!!! :lol:

My ping varies all over the lot. Upstream stays right around 1 Mbps. 3 stars for my ISP is probably generous, but then it's better than Windstream DSL, which I had previously. :D

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#13 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

I'm assuming this should be ok, righr?

Posted Image

It's been a long time since I've been concerned about ping times and can't remember if I should be concerned about that number or not...

Wow, tried a different server for this one...

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

That's just weird that you have upload 2-3x times your download speed!

Mine is around 14-17 Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up...

Most folks have a substantially lower upstream than downstream unless their downstream is one of the slowest/basic packages.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

I know! I pay for "up to" 15 in each direction. I guess they haven't throttled the upload as much as they do the download. I could get up to 50 both directions, but I don't need it.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

I know! I pay for "up to" 15 in each direction. I guess they haven't throttled the upload as much as they do the download. I could get up to 50 both directions, but I don't need it.

That's cool.

I used to have DSL 6down/540Kup but recently went to U-verse 18down/1.5 up.

Honestly I don't need the 18Mbps down nearly as much as the 1.5Mbps up.

I would be fine probably with 12 down... but that wouldn't get me 1.5 up... so that's why I chose where I did.

You should probably be able to do good with streaming your own stuff (like a Slingbox) outside your home with that kind of upload speed available to you.

I have more trouble with that... whereas I'm sure Netflix would be happy with my connection.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#17 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Then again, its not just about the bandwidth...its also about the latency levels of that connection at your location.

that would be the 2600kbps stream.

they also have a higher stream that i believe is 3800kbps.

there is only a slight difference between the two, but it is noticeable.

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:57 AM

that would be the 2600kbps stream.

they also have a higher stream that i believe is 3800kbps.

there is only a slight difference between the two, but it is noticeable.

Again...its not just the bandwidth, its the latency as well.

If the stream is reliable and steady...that's more than enough. If someone is in an area with alot of common access points tot he same server for their DSL service, the performance may drop. I'd get more if I could, but I can't in this area (yet) - then again - what's here, works.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

I couldn't find the required speed on the website or on the box of my Netflix enabled Insignia Blu-ray player. Buried deep within the NetFlix website after I signed up for a trial period, they say five mega-bits is required for HD.

My DSL is only 700 kilo-bits. The video quality is worse than YouTube at this connection speed .. a sea of macroblocks .. unwatchable. Needless to say, I canceled the account but I really didn't expect it to work.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#20 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Same here as well, I can get HD streaming with the PS3 with 3mbps DSL consistently. I'm also beyond the outer fringe of the MAX distance on being allowed to get 3mbps from AT&T.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

spam firewall