Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What I learned while downgrading pt. 1: Family package

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hey, longtime lurker, first post. The information this forum has provided has been invaluable.

If it helps anyone, I wanted to pass along a few things I found out through trial and error while downgrading my package over the past few months (from Premier to Family -- I know, a long ways to drop -- just like my paycheck has been doing). As I've learned the hard way, DirecTV's Web site isn't very accurate and CSRs don't always know what they're talking about.

The Family package pretty much stinks (can't you give me one sports channel, anything? An RSN? ESPNews?), but I opted to stick with that instead of going OTA only with a TIVO and leave the option of upgrading during football season. It does however, offer the following (despite what the Web site claims):

*101 (quickly becoming one of the best channels)
*Science (nice bonus I didn't expect)
*Interactive Weather channel

It DOES NOT offer any of the mix channels (much to my chagrin).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

And thanks for the current updates.

Lastly--may your paycheck quickly recover to a standard to which we'd all like to be accustomed. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback Heisenberg, hope your paycheck starts rising (and mine) so you can upgrade during football season.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts. And I'll definitely be back during football season -- we won't be able to afford to travel to see the inlaws this summer, but priorities are priorities, right? :)

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

As stated in some other threads, to get a bit more of a HD fix you might consider the international Preferred Choice package at $35.99. You also need to subscribe to at least one international channel, but there is a Filipino radio channel at $4.95 which qualifies.

#6 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info, bob. I did see some mention of that in other posts and considered it -- checking the Web site, it appears to me they no longer offer the Filipino radio channel as a standalone option? It was on there when I checked a few months ago, but I wondered if DirecTV has since moved to close the International "loophole." :)

#7 OFFLINE   Galley

Galley

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

The Family Package may stink, but it is superb compared to the DirecTV Basic package. :ewww:

BYU TV
Christian TV Network
Church Channel
C-Span
C-Span 2
Daystar
EWTN
GEMS TV
GOD TV
Home Shopping Network
Jewelry TV
Link TV
NASA TV
NRB Network
QVC
ShopNBC
TCT Network
The 101
Trinity Broadcasting Network
Word Network

#8 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

The Family Package may stink, but it is superb compared to the DirecTV Basic package. :ewww:

Shopping and religion? Wow, have never seen that before.... :eek2:
D* customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

The Family Package may stink, but it is superb compared to the Basic.

I beg to differ. The Basic is $12.99, while the Family is $32.99. Nothing in the Family listing is worth $20 bucks extra. When I go on vacation I always switch to the Basic. Why pay for something not being viewed?

#10 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

there is a Filipino radio channel at $4.95 which qualifies.

Again, this is wrong info, it is a video channel, music, and San Francisco Asian comedy club standups, all in English, for $4.99.

MYX - Asian American Music, Channel 2067
MYX is the ultimate music video and lifestyle channel for young Asian Americans. It plays the hottest major label hits, massive Asian jams and indie music around the clock.

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Shopping and religion? Wow, have never seen that before.... :eek2:

I suspect that those are all channels for which Directv pay zilch (and in some cases is paid to carry them).

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

I didn't even know the "DirecTV basic package" existed! It is cleverly hidden if you log into their web site as an existing customer.

This package must be to compete with DISH's "bronze 100" but the "bronze 100" is only 10 bucks and it has channels you actually would watch like TNT, USA, etc. But it doesn't have locals. And DISH nickel-and-dimes you to death like cable.

I think if you need to sink to this level due to the recession, you'd be better off just going OTA with a TiVo...or just OTA with a VCR!!! (free)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

When I go on vacation I always switch to the Basic. Why pay for something not being viewed?

You know you can actually just suspend your account and pay nothing while you're on vacation?

#14 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

Hey, longtime lurker, first post. The information this forum has provided has been invaluable.

If it helps anyone, I wanted to pass along a few things I found out through trial and error while downgrading my package over the past few months (from Premier to Family -- I know, a long ways to drop -- just like my paycheck has been doing). As I've learned the hard way, DirecTV's Web site isn't very accurate and CSRs don't always know what they're talking about.

The Family package pretty much stinks (can't you give me one sports channel, anything? An RSN? ESPNews?), but I opted to stick with that instead of going OTA only with a TIVO and leave the option of upgrading during football season. It does however, offer the following (despite what the Web site claims):

*101 (quickly becoming one of the best channels)
*Science (nice bonus I didn't expect)
*Interactive Weather channel

It DOES NOT offer any of the mix channels (much to my chagrin).

I'd like to add that if, via the website, you drop down to Family from Choice Xtra + HD DVR, you need to call DTV to get them to add HD access back. There's no way to do it online--even if you add on the HD extra pack.
Found out the hard way when I switched before going to work (4PM-12AM) and coming home to have none of that nights recorded shows viewable.
So far the only channel I miss not having is Fox Business and maybe CNN. Since BSG, SGA & SG-1 are over, I don't need SCI-FI anymore. Everything else I lost I hardly ever watched.

#15 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

As stated in some other threads, to get a bit more of a HD fix you might consider the international Preferred Choice package at $35.99. You also need to subscribe to at least one international channel, but there is a Filipino radio channel at $4.95 which qualifies.

This no longer qualifies. I tried twice, they have closed the loophole.

spam firewall