Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 2008 Annual Report now available online

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

You can see it at http://files.shareho...oup_2008_AR.pdf . This is the glossy version for folks that like pictures;)

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

I like this quote from page 11:

"Last year, we launched a few services as stepping stones on the path to offering a whole-homeexperience. Our DIRECTV™ MediaShare service enables customers to view pictures, music and video content from their PC on their TV. Conversely, DIRECTV2PC™ allows customers to watch DIRECTV on any personal computer in their house. In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house.

Initially, our focus will be on developing unique DIRECTV applications for cell phone users. We recently launched the iPhone DVR Scheduler app that combines the DIRECTV and AT&T experience with the popular iPhone graphical interface. Next our focus will turn to delivering DIRECTV content to mobile devices, particularly as our Telco partners move toward 4G technologies. In the coming months, we will be testing various programming services to determine the needs and desires of our customers. For example, later this year, we plan to stream professional football games on cell phones for our NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscribers.
"

#3 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

"In the coming months, we will be testing various programming services to determine the needs and desires of our customers. For example, later this year, we plan to stream professional football games on cell phones for our NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscribers.
"[/i]

Crap. I may have to rethink my plan to drop NFLST. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

I've created a separate thread for discussing the mobile NFL portion of this report.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=156757
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

"In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house."

Just the other day my wife asked AGAIN when will this feature be available. Its pretty much the only complaint (aside from rain fade) we have with DirecTV. Recording something downstairs only to learn your partner has already claimed that TV for viewing something else leads to massive disappointment. The ability share content between our two DVRs will literally save our marriage ;)

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

"In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house."

Just the other day my wife asked AGAIN when will this feature be available. Its pretty much the only complaint (aside from rain fade) we have with DirecTV. Recording something downstairs only to learn your partner has already claimed that TV for viewing something else leads to massive disappointment. The ability share content between our two DVRs will literally save our marriage ;)

MRV is coming and SOON. Check out the CE forum.
As far as the Home Media Center, I have no idea. Wouldn't mind beta testing it of course! Don't like that there isn't any backup though (That's why I have 2 HD DVRs).

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Wonder if they'll be a hint of anything new referenced at the DirecTV Revolution Dealers Meeting Expo in the Technology Pavilion. April 20-22/2009, Dallas, Texas at the Hilton Anatole.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#9 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Posted Image

I don't know why that make me LOL. Way to go DirecTV.:cool:

#10 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Thanks RAD, this is great information.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#11 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

Wonder if they'll be a hint of anything new referenced at the DirecTV Revolution Dealers Meeting Expo in the Technology Pavilion. April 20-22/2009, Dallas, Texas at the Hilton Anatole.

Over at Scott site he says he's been told by some in attendance that DirecTV demo'ed MRV via coax and the SWM, very interesting.

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Over at Scott site he says he's been told by some in attendance that DirecTV demo'ed MRV via coax and the SWM, very interesting.

Yep, matches to what we've been discussing here for a while.

The key is which exact receivers (existing HR20-HR23 or new) and which SWM (existing SWMLNB&SWM-8, or new).

The future will be interesting ...
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Now that is cool. :D

After skimming through, the report seems positive. Can't wait to delve deeper when I get home. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#14 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yep, matches to what we've been discussing here for a while.

The key is which exact receivers (existing HR20-HR23 or new) and which SWM (existing SWMLNB&SWM-8, or new).

The future will be interesting ...

Won't it? :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

For folks that were wondering about a portable service:

Pg. 20

We also intend to make DIRECTV programming more ubiquitous by offering it on
portable and mobile devices, including cell phones.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

There was also an acknowledgment in the opening pages that DIRECTV can do better on Customer Service:

Pg. 8

Though we are making progress in providing customer service that is commensurate with the excellent reputation of our brand, this is clearly an area where we have much work to do. Furthermore, customer satisfaction can and should be a major competitive advantage for DIRECTV. As such, our goal of significantly improving customer service is one of our most important priorities in 2009.

#17 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

The image below is on Page 6 of the Presentation, under the headline "... Expanding our Reach DIRECTV Latin America". Is anyone familiar with this interface? Or is this a hint of things that may make it into the US interface, perhaps the new oft-rumored GUI?

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1240420138

Attached Thumbnails

• PresentationInteractive.JPG

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

Also of note, much of which was known already:

Page 7 - HD Channels: With the launch of our DIRECTV 12 satellite later this year, we will gain another 50% increase in our national HD capacity to over 200 channels while offering local HD channels to more than 92% of households.

Looks like up to 100 new national HD channels are on the way. :)

Page 7 - Video On Demand: In the coming year, we’ll expand the richness and functionality of the service with faster access and a more integrated experience with DIRECTV’s linear channels.

How can they make it faster? Upgrading back-end servers? The "integration" will also be interesting - I wonder if when you tune to a channel that has OnDemand content available you'll have a pop-up or some other way to quickly jump to the OnDemand channel?

Page 8: ScoreGuide: And getting ready to debut in 2009 is ScoreGuide™, which will provide customers with up-to-the-minute game scores from the major sports leagues at the touch of a button via their remote control.

Already mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. Can't wait for it to be available on the HD channels.

Page 10 - Troubleshooting: In the last few months, we have overhauled our set-top box testing to further improve the reliability of our boxes, eliminated steps in the home installation process to improve technician performance, added diagnostic tools to expedite problem solving, and many other enhancements.

We know about that! :)

Page 11 - Innovations and the Future: Last year, we launched a few services as stepping stones on the path to offering a whole-home experience. Our DIRECTV™ MediaShare service enables customers to view pictures, music and video content from their PC on their TV. Conversely, DIRECTV2PC™ allows customers to watch DIRECTV on any personal computer in their house. In the second half of 2009, customers will be able to share content between two DVRs in the home, and in 2010 our Home Media Center will provide a true wholehome solution. The goal is to have all information and entertainment devices in a home connected to a central server that will provide seamless HD, DVR and other media services throughout the house.

The next year should be a lot of fun! :D

#19 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

2007 Annual Report

And while the service side of the business
made real strides in 2007, we still have much
work to do. Improving this area is one of our
top priorities for 2008. We simply will not be
satis? ed until our overall customer experience
is nothing less than stellar and is commen-
surate with the sterling reputation of our
brand.

2006 Annual Reaport

Our plans call for improving the customer
experience at every stage of the customer
lifecycle. It was certainly an honor to
receive the highest score for customer
satisfaction among satellite and cable
companies from the American Customer
Satisfaction Index in 2006. However, we
still have much work to do in order to
achieve the excellence our customers
deserve.

2005 Annual Report

Even more exciting and innovative is our drive
to move the video experience beyond the traditional
TV set. In January 2006, we announced landmark
agreements with Intel and Microsoft that will allow
our customers easy access to DIRECTV on PCs,
laptops and handhelds. We were the first to offer
live television in cars and in 2006, we will follow
up that innovation with a number of new mobile
products that meet consumers’ increasing demand
for video on-the-go.

While much of the excitement and press coverage
in our industry revolves around new initiatives in
technology and content, the area that is second to
none in importance is service. When you ask a cus-
tomer what they value most in a TV service, the
answer is invariably reliability, convenience, honesty
and fairness. We need DIRECTV to represent the
gold standard in customer service for television.
While we are the industry leader in service, we
are not where we need to be and this will be an area
of enormous focus in 2006.

2004 Annual Report

Perhaps the most exciting development will be the year-end launch of
the DIRECTV Home Media Center to provide whole-house connectivity
with all multimedia systems, along with mobility for devices outside the
home. Content in a variety of forms — digitally recorded video, photos
and music — will be accessible from every networked TV in the house.
Through a broadband connection, the DIRECTV Home Media Center
will support personal computer connectivity, scheduling of DVR
recordings from the Internet, photos from wireless phones,
video-on-demand and many other features.

2003 Annual Report
Service excellence must be another hallmark for DIRECTV. While DIRECTV is recognized as a leader in customer service, we still have much room for improvement. Our call centers, installers, Web sites and other services can—and will—be much better.
At DIRECTV, we will make service excellence a goal second to none.
We want DIRECTV to be the best

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

ken .. I believe that the Customer Service has improved every year. Is it enough? I don't know, for me personally it's been very good in the Customer Service department .. but I do realize that doesn't translate to everyone. Either way, they should always strive to do better, right?

spam firewall