Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mobile Live Streaming of NFL games

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

RAD found it here and another poster sent me a note earlier today as wall.

Looks like DIRECTV may have Mobile Live Streaming of NFL games this year .. Could make the season interesting ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maui

Maui

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

That would be cool. I might have to reconsider the NFL package.

#3 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Well, only certain phones would be able to support this? Probably the Iphone is going to be one of them. THis is a really cool feature for some hardcore fans. Go to chruch and start watching the game!!! :)

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Well, only certain phones would be able to support this? Probably the Iphone is going to be one of them. THis is a really cool feature for some hardcore fans. Go to chruch and start watching the game!!! :)

I think it's too early to tell what phone will support this feature ... I'm sure we'll know more by the time NFL games start ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

I think it's too early to tell what phone will support this feature ... I'm sure we'll know more by the time NFL games start ...

I think the IPhone would be a definite choice since D* and AT&T are bundling and IPhone only works on AT&T.... I mean I could be wrong but...

#6 OFFLINE   mkstretch

mkstretch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

This is great!! I hope when they say putting content on mobile devices they also mean iPods and other potable media players like Archos.

#7 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

If the iPhone supports it, I will seriously consider re-subbing to NFLST this year. I've had it every single season since 1997 but was considering not renewing because I'm spending too many fall Sundays away from from home. This might tip the balance back.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

I hope it is not only for the iPhone. The only thing that has been holding me back is At&t's cell phone service in my area is nowhere near as good as verizon.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#9 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thats cool if they make that happen. I don't know if AT&T would allow it though. They won't let a slingbox app for the Iphone be approved. They may let the NFL streaming and Sling app happen if its for WIFI only. I know that Apple has the say what apps get approved and not approved. I've just seen some news about the Slingbox app and how AT&T is holding that one up because of bandwith issues on their network. We shall see though. I think its a great idea.

#10 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

Is the Sprint/Nextel contract up? I remember those commercials saying you could watch games on your phone with Sprint. I use my Slingbox to watch games on my phone so I am not sure I'd use this or not. Still interesting though as D* expands to markets beyond the familyroom TV.

#11 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

I already have the NFL Network on my Treo through Sprint. Not impressed though. Now, if they carried the NHL, then I'd be excited!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#12 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Is the Sprint/Nextel contract up? I remember those commercials saying you could watch games on your phone with Sprint.

This was for the NFL Network games only (Thursday night), and included some highlights. It wasn't for every live game.

#13 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Home is my church. The TV...on sundays..is my altar.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#14 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

Wow. This is definitely going to make me think twice about dropping NFLST this year. :eek2:

#15 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I would bet streaming could be done on the BB too......its already been enabled
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#16 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

I already have this covered. There's this wonderful invention called 'Slingbox' :P :D

Actually, depending upon how this is implemented, if it is implemented, by DirecTV and the NFL, this could be really cool or it could be something that will just serve to frustrate fans.

As I type this, I'm reminded that I gotta send an e-mail into MLB because their crappy Gameday Audio service doesn't work properly on my Samsung BlackJack II phone. It works, but only when it wants to, and about 98% of the time I just get 'An error has occured' and can't connect to the streams. A co-worker has an iPhone with the MLB @bat application and it's great. Gameday audio comes through on it perfectly, as well as the Gameday animations. Is it Samsung's fault that my phone can't seem to support the Gameday audio while the iPhone does? Nope. I'm not sure I blame Microsoft either (though they wrote the OS for my phone). I put the blame at the feet of MLB who apparently has gotten these complaints in the past and not pushed back on their vendors to fix it.

If the same sort of problems exist for any NFL streaming to phones that DirecTV or the NFL undertake it'll just make customers mad. Not to mention the possibility that fans get all bent out of shape over the idea that the phone they just got doesn't support the feature, or that only certain model or manufacturer phones do.

The NFL is pretty smart about delivering a good experience to fans, and certainly there are bad examples to look at and learn from. They'll hopefully put out a great product (with whomever they partner with) and leave everyone wondering why it took so long for something so great to be available.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#17 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

I already have this covered. There's this wonderful invention called 'Slingbox' :P :D

Actually, depending upon how this is implemented, if it is implemented, by DirecTV and the NFL, this could be really cool or it could be something that will just serve to frustrate fans.

As I type this, I'm reminded that I gotta send an e-mail into MLB because their crappy Gameday Audio service doesn't work properly on my Samsung BlackJack II phone. It works, but only when it wants to, and about 98% of the time I just get 'An error has occured' and can't connect to the streams. A co-worker has an iPhone with the MLB @bat application and it's great. Gameday audio comes through on it perfectly, as well as the Gameday animations. Is it Samsung's fault that my phone can't seem to support the Gameday audio while the iPhone does? Nope. I'm not sure I blame Microsoft either (though they wrote the OS for my phone). I put the blame at the feet of MLB who apparently has gotten these complaints in the past and not pushed back on their vendors to fix it.

If the same sort of problems exist for any NFL streaming to phones that DirecTV or the NFL undertake it'll just make customers mad. Not to mention the possibility that fans get all bent out of shape over the idea that the phone they just got doesn't support the feature, or that only certain model or manufacturer phones do.

The NFL is pretty smart about delivering a good experience to fans, and certainly there are bad examples to look at and learn from. They'll hopefully put out a great product (with whomever they partner with) and leave everyone wondering why it took so long for something so great to be available.

Well, NFLST Supercast worked really well last season so I'm hopeful. :) Admittedly, the two MacBook Pros in the house have better horsepower than our iPhones, but the technology for streaming video isn't that high so if AT&T can handle the bandwidth demands, there shouldn't be many problems.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#18 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Actually AT&T has recently modified its data plan contract to prohibit any video, audio, streaming content. It basically forbids doing anything with your phone, even their own content if you take it literally. They probably won't enforce it unless you are constantly using it though as they don't really enforce the tethering rules unless you do it too much.

I would love to be able to watch the game I was at for better replays or watch another game during commercial breaks.

#19 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

The recent iphone apps for March Madness (every game) and the Masters (2 separate live feeds on the back nine) were simply awesome. The iphone is ready, bring it on!

#20 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Actually AT&T has recently modified its data plan contract to prohibit any video, audio, streaming content. It basically forbids doing anything with your phone, even their own content if you take it literally. They probably won't enforce it unless you are constantly using it though as they don't really enforce the tethering rules unless you do it too much.

I would love to be able to watch the game I was at for better replays or watch another game during commercial breaks.

Looking at this:
http://http://www.sl...rms-of-Service/
It seems that AT&T had a change of heart

Man, I suck at links....................let me try again

http://www.slingcomm...rms-of-Service/

spam firewall