Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network(R) Introduces DISH Earth Channel

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

OK. I give up. It's utterly amazing. Nothing already available from NASA or NOAA was even close. And Dish allocated no funds earned from subscriber revenue to make it happen and has diverted no paid engineer and tech time of employees (who could have been working on technical problems that it doesn't have) to uplink this relaxing video stream designed to put you to sleep. It was a freebie and we hope Dish will provide more interesting stuff like it instead of some HD TV channels that work flawlessly.

I'm old, yes. What I understand from experience is that if I were running Dish's engineering department I'd much rather fool around with this than discuss with local channel engineers whose fault it is that our signal is glitching. And if I were Charlie I'd find it more satisfying to spend money to have employees doing this rather than negotiate with Rupert Murdoch's minions for a contract renewal and for FX and SPEED in HD.

I'm a 20+ year customer of Echostar interested in Dish Network succeeding as a retail TV signal provider. That means focusing on what attracts and keeps new customers. As a comparison, we have Channel 212 while DirecTV has Channel 101. One's briefly interesting. The other is being developed specifically to broaden subscriber interest. So this month, we see the following news releases:

DirecTV's unique channel 101 has inked a rare deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution to bring three critically acclaimed drama series
back to television for the Wednesday lineup.

"Smith", "The Nine" and "Eyes" will return to primetime with never-before-seen episodes, commercial-free and in HD, on the 101 Network and DirecTV on DEMAND.

DISH Network Corporation today announced the launch of DISH Earth, a channel exclusively available to DISH Network customers, offering dramatic live views of Earth 24 hours per day, including passing views of the moon, Venus, and even unidentified flying objects. DISH Network customers can experience the camera's live feed for free on Ch. 212 beginning this evening.

In addition to the live video footage, DISH Network has also partnered with Space Services, Inc. (SSI), a Houston-based aerospace company, to offer consumers photos of the planet on a loved one's special day via its Give the World™ service. The camera captures the cloud formations, storms, and the green and blue beauty of planet Earth forever in a nicely packaged photo frame to commemorate a birthday, wedding, anniversary or any memorable occasion. Regular photo pricing ranges from $29.95 to $99.95.

You all tell me which business focus is going to actually attract customers. One is a news release from a TV entertainment oriented company and the other is a news release from a shopping channel company for techies.

I don't want to go somewhere else for service. And I also don't want to have to go somewhere else for service.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

What I understand from experience is that if I were running Dish's engineering department I'd much rather fool around with this than discuss with local channel engineers whose fault it is that our signal is glitching. And if I were Charlie I'd find it more satisfying to spend money to have employees doing this rather than negotiate with Rupert Murdoch's minions for a contract renewal and for FX and SPEED in HD.

"This" is trivial. You make it sound like there are 100 employees working around the clock to get and keep the "Earth" channel on the air. "This" has been up since shortly after the launch of E10 on an internal channel on 110. The only difference now that it is public is that you know about it and you can see it. "This" required no negotiations, so those employees were not involved at all.

But don't let the facts stand in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

#103 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

"This" is trivial. You make it sound like there are 100 employees working around the clock to get and keep the "Earth" channel on the air. "This" has been up since shortly after the launch of E10 on an internal channel on 110. The only difference now that it is public is that you know about it and you can see it. "This" required no negotiations, so those employees were not involved at all.

Like I said earlier...

#104 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Here's an interesting thought. Remember that odd vid that was shown from one of the space shuttles some years ago, (a strange object (UFO) was shown moving in space and even the astronauts commented on it), afterwards NASA kept strict controls on pictures frequestly blacking out live feeds from the shuttles.

#105 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

I won't.;)

I'll just keep on my one-customer campaign, badgering Dish Network to become more competitive in the business it's in and reminding customers that Dish Network is no longer Echostar, the cool technology company, that still has liquid assets unlike Dish Network.

I never said anyone spent much time on this after the satellite got there and camera worked. They did spend a small amount of time uplinking it and handling the news release. But all these decisions and most of the costs were likely made before Echostar spun off Dish Network.

My desire is to have Dish management and employees focused on what Dish Network is about, a retail home entertainment service provider. In the future I would prefer to see Charlie and the guys play with their technology toys on Echostar's nickle.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#106 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

For those of you saying it is a waste of bandwidth, I doubt it is taking much bandwidth. It is a SD signal of a still picture that updates every 15 seconds with audio. Also, the picture changes very little with each update. I'm sure it is highly compressed without anyone noticing.

This would be a good channel for Charlie to fool around with on April Fool's day :) He could superimpose a picture of the TARDIS moving toward earth or maybe have the Earth blowing up into a million pieces.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#107 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

For those of you saying it is a waste of bandwidth, I doubt it is taking much bandwidth. It is a SD signal of a still picture that updates every 15 seconds with audio. Also, the picture changes very little with each update. I'm sure it is highly compressed without anyone noticing.

This would be a good channel for Charlie to fool around with on April Fool's day :) He could superimpose a picture of the TARDIS moving toward earth or maybe have the Earth blowing up into a million pieces.

Now if the the Doctor flew by in the TARDIS, that would be cool!

#108 OFFLINE   JackDobiash

JackDobiash

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

I recorded a couple of 8 hour segments of the channel, it only takes about 3.5GB of space for each 8 hour period (usually an SD program takes about 1GB for each hour). Running it at 300x actually looks pretty cool. :)
ViP622 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (20GB)
ViP722 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Programming - Americas Everything Pak + Portland Locals, HD + Platinum, DHPP (Service)
DishNetwork Customer since 1998

#109 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

Now that would be entertainment.:lol:

#110 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

It works on all channels.

True, if you have an HD set hooked up. I have an SD set hooked via S-video, so no zoom for me on any SD feeds.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#111 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Everyone has missed the point -- the Earth channel is the ultimate homeland security camera -- it allows you to keep an eye on your country from anywhere on the interweb. Using Dish Super-Duper zoom I can even see my house from here!

See someone prowling around my back door, I call the cops! How cool is that?! :icon_cool

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#112 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

Must be one heck of a zoom. Most of the time I can barely make out where California is.:scratch:

#113 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

It is the same zoom they use on all the cop shows to turn grainy security camera images into high def. :)

#114 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, where you can read a license plate, which has been reflected off a water puddle, then a store window, then on someone's glasses, from a mile away? lol
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#115 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

Next week - on CSI: Dish Network......

#116 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Awesome! Thanks Dish!

#117 OFFLINE   portagent

portagent

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

OK so should I focus my TV or what?
Looks like a big blob over a flashlight.http://www.dbstalk.c...ilies/frown.gif Maybe if I squint ...... Nope still a blob !http://www.dbstalk.c...lies/scream.gif
:eek2:

#118 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Maybe if you take your thumb out of the way, so you can see the picture.

#119 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Actually I suspect the NSA has the copyright to earth images so we can't see where thier sats are at any given time! But I wonder if we looked at the right time and at the right sun angle, we could see the International Space Station going by far below? Probably would be just a glint of light.

#120 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

This is a fun thread to read. But here's a curiosity question. The music on Ch 212 is The Bridge on Ch 6033. Does that mean Charlie pays for it twice since he's broadcasting it twice? Not that it makes a fat rat's patooty one way or the other. I now have 6033 as the channel my Harmony One tunes to when I click the Music button. As well as all the On buttons. Likes me some good music whilst browsing the DVR list, guide, etc. Gives my old brain a few seconds to get tuned in to watching TV.

Speaking of On buttons, who else remembers and was a subscriber to On? Not to hijack this very enlightening thread:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...