Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network(R) Introduces DISH Earth Channel

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

I recorded a couple of 8 hour segments of the channel, it only takes about 3.5GB of space for each 8 hour period (usually an SD program takes about 1GB for each hour). Running it at 300x actually looks pretty cool. :)

Indeed -- that's the first thing I did when the channel started -- recorded 8-10 hours of it and then, the next day, played it through at 300x. I thought it was pretty cool looking -- my wife teased me for being a geek. :D

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   just_dave

just_dave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Any chance of seeing the Space Shuttle launch (or fly by) on DISH Earth? Now that would be cool! I think it would be hard given the distance of the camera, but maybe?- Dave

#123 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

I kinda doubt it, but that would be awesome. I think the satellite is at over 22k miles up in geo orbit, the Shuttle will be a couple hundred miles up or something, quite a far ways down and a long ways to see. :)
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#124 OFFLINE   jpk

jpk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

When you look at how they did it, it's very clever, and uses almost no bandwidth at all.

#125 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

OK. I give up. It's utterly amazing. Nothing already available from NASA or NOAA was even close. And Dish allocated no funds earned from subscriber revenue to make it happen and has diverted no paid engineer and tech time of employees (who could have been working on technical problems that it doesn't have) to uplink this relaxing video stream designed to put you to sleep. It was a freebie and we hope Dish will provide more interesting stuff like it instead of some HD TV channels that work flawlessly.

I'm old, yes. What I understand from experience is that if I were running Dish's engineering department I'd much rather fool around with this than discuss with local channel engineers whose fault it is that our signal is glitching. And if I were Charlie I'd find it more satisfying to spend money to have employees doing this rather than negotiate with Rupert Murdoch's minions for a contract renewal and for FX and SPEED in HD.

I'm a 20+ year customer of Echostar interested in Dish Network succeeding as a retail TV signal provider. That means focusing on what attracts and keeps new customers. As a comparison, we have Channel 212 while DirecTV has Channel 101. One's briefly interesting. The other is being developed specifically to broaden subscriber interest. So this month, we see the following news releases: You all tell me which business focus is going to actually attract customers. One is a news release from a TV entertainment oriented company and the other is a news release from a shopping channel company for techies.

I don't want to go somewhere else for service. And I also don't want to have to go somewhere else for service.

I'm with you!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#126 OFFLINE   eckertman

eckertman

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWoodstock,IL

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

"This" is trivial. You make it sound like there are 100 employees working around the clock to get and keep the "Earth" channel on the air. "This" has been up since shortly after the launch of E10 on an internal channel on 110. The only difference now that it is public is that you know about it and you can see it. "This" required no negotiations, so those employees were not involved at all.

But don't let the facts stand in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

You just said that the employees were involed. Now you say that they are not.

#127 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

You just said that the employees were involed. Now you say that they are not.

Those employees, the ones involved in negotiations. :)

#128 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Quite phrankly, I don't give a phlying phart about HD and I'd rather that Charley spend my nickles on something like this. I'm more annoyed with them using my subscrtiption money to carry 47,000 channels of ESPN, ESPN Spanish, ESPN Alternates, NBA, NBA Alternates, NHL, NHL Alternates, Alternate Alternates, etc., etc., etc., .......
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#129 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

Quite phrankly, I don't give a phlying phart about HD and I'd rather that Charley spend my nickles on something like this. I'm more annoyed with them using my subscrtiption money to carry 47,000 channels of ESPN, ESPN Spanish, ESPN Alternates, NBA, NBA Alternates, NHL, NHL Alternates, Alternate Alternates, etc., etc., etc., .......

Unfortunately, it's the other subscriber's money (nickles?) as well. They enjoy and welcome those channels. I have to think they form the majority of subscribers to boot. (Of course, I have no way of proving that.)

I don't watch sports either, but if the $$$ support Dish gets from the sports subscribers allows them to give me more of the TV I like, who am I to complain?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#130 OFFLINE   roccojs

roccojs

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

I just re-registered to say dish earth is awesome. I watch it 2-3 times per day.

#131 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

I just re-registered to say dish earth is awesome. I watch it 2-3 times per day.

Why??

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#132 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

Are you a zen master?:grin:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#133 OFFLINE   david91722

david91722

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Does anyone know why the Dish Earth channel is no longer available?

#134 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

All reports I have read so far say the camera quit working.:(

I actually think the last pictures transmitted showed a little bugeyed dude trying to use his ATM card,when it didn't pay up,he beat the heck out of it.:eek2:;):D

We did report it to the Men In Black division.:D

Or they just don't want us to see those 15 mile wide space ships coming for us(Independence Day).:eek2:;)

#135 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

Effective October 29th, DISH Earth (Ch 287) will no longer be available due to the cameras being decommissioned. Thanks.

#136 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Effective October 29th, DISH Earth (Ch 287) will no longer be available due to the cameras being decommissioned. Thanks.

Are there any plans to bring it back in the future?

#137 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Are there any plans to bring it back in the future?

Kinda hard to get a repairman up there :D

Seriously that camera has been on 24/7 since the day E10 launched and had a daily bombardment of sunlight that overloaded the lens when the Sun was over the Pacific.

Here's an idea. Did they save any of the images over the years? How about a "best of The Earth Channel"? I recall someone saying that a UFO was once detected by this camera.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#138 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I wonder if the permission to have the experimental camera expired? I'm too lazy to go back and find the launch authorization documents tonight ... but there may have been terms attached.

#139 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

I wonder if the permission to have the experimental camera expired? I'm too lazy to go back and find the launch authorization documents tonight ... but there may have been terms attached.

No that's not why it was decommissioned.

#140 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

As an avid amateur astronomer, I delighted in occasionally tuning in to the view of Earth from 22,000 miles away.

I never got to glimpse Venus in the image, but I did see the moon on the opposite side of its orbit, from time to time.

And large weather systems were often quite fascinating to observe from that position/distance of the onboard camera.

I always thought that it was pretty neat for Dish to provide something that was likely to only appeal to a small viewership. A decision made without dollars ruling the reason why it was carried.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...