Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WETA HD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

It is not listed on Directv's website that I know of, but when I refreshed my signal today to get the Harrisburg locals in addtion to the Washington locals, WETA 26 is now in HD, I am watching the Newshour with Jim Leherer in HD.

Edited by tomgossert, 22 April 2009 - 05:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

Are you sure its not 26-1 OTA? did you do a complete Satellite reset from the Menu? I don't have it?

Ben
DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#3 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

No its coming through the dish, I do not have OTA. Where I live its difficult to recieve anything other than NBC 25 out of Hagerstown from an antenna. I did a system reset & called Directv to refresh signal.

Added Note: I just unhid my SD duplicates and I have two channel 26's, one says DC26 (SD) and one says WETA (HD), this is similar to all of the other local channels I have i.e. DC7 (SD) & WJLA (HD).

#4 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

No its coming through the dish, I do not have OTA. Where I live its difficult to recieve anything other than NBC 25 out of Hagerstown from an antenna. I did a system reset & called Directv to refresh signal.

Added Note: I just unhid my SD duplicates and I have two channel 26's, one says DC26 (SD) and one says WETA (HD), this is similar to all of the other local channels I have i.e. DC7 (SD) & WJLA (HD).

I see from the guide that at 11am NOVA is on both 26 and 26-1 HD. I've autotuned and will see what comes on. This AM 26 had cartoons in 480i on the satellite 26 while 26-1 had a diferent HD show.
Why did you have to call DT?

PS I did a Sat reset, but still have only one channel 26 in the guide (even with SD's unhid)

Edited by dcben, 23 April 2009 - 08:14 AM.

DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#5 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

Nope, no WETA 26 HD over satellite, even after restting the receiver.
DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#6 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

i called Directv because I forgot I could resend the signals by logging into the website (I resent my parents signals by logging in)

#7 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

i called Directv because I forgot I could resend the signals by logging into the website (I resent my parents signals by logging in)

OK, here's the story (I wasted 1/2 hour on the phone to DTV and 20 minutes with WETA.) You are getting wetahd as a Harrisburg local. (You can go to the DT web site and check on Packages/channels, put in 17101 as the zip code, and see that indeed WETA26HD is provided. DT does NOT provide the HD feed to the DC local area. (put in zip code 20003 and see for yourself) Why? DT says its WETA marketing area requirements, WETA says its DTV's choice.

Nobody makes any sense.

Allan
DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#8 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

tomgossert, what DMA are you in? From your location, it appears that your in PA? For the Washington DC DMA, I'm not seeing WETA in HD.

For what it's worth we also get WMPT and it's not in HD, but it is if you're in the Baltimore DMA. Interesting, isn't it?

EDIT: Looks like I posted on top of dcben. I would lean towards D*'s answer. My dealings with WETA have been less than stellar. They can't even get their guide data straight half the time. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to record This Old House Hour and gotten some completely random programming.

Edited by Rob-NovA, 23 April 2009 - 11:48 AM.
additional info

Rob

#9 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

OK, here's the story (I wasted 1/2 hour on the phone to DTV and 20 minutes with WETA.) You are getting wetahd as a Harrisburg local. (You can go to the DT web site and check on Packages/channels, put in 17101 as the zip code, and see that indeed WETA26HD is provided. DT does NOT provide the HD feed to the DC local area. (put in zip code 20003 and see for yourself) Why? DT says its WETA marketing area requirements, WETA says its DTV's choice.

Nobody makes any sense.

Allan

Nuts. I was hoping for some Nova HD...
Rob

#10 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Zip Code 17268 Harrisburg-Lancaster DMA with Washington DC-Hagerstown MD as Neighboring Local Channels as of 4/22/09. Prior to 4/22 I was in Washington DC DMA only.

#11 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Channel numbers by service provider
WETA HD
Via antenna 26.1
Comcast 220# (DC), 219# (Balt.)
Cox 726#
Verizon FIOS 526
RCN n/a
DirecTV n/a
Dish Network n/a

So, neither Dish nor DTV carry it. Must have something to do either with unwillingness to carry all of the sub-channels (the comcast and cox and FIOS carry all 4 digital channels) or provider fees, but nobody will admit what the hold-up really is.
DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#12 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Before I moved from Alexandria up to Maryland, I got the DC locals OTA... WETA HD is a joke anyway... They run like 500 subchannels, and it's by far the most bitrate-starved channel I've ever seen! I may be mistaken, but I actually think they aired "HD" programming on TWO subchannels at once!

#13 OFFLINE   dcben

dcben

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Before I moved from Alexandria up to Maryland, I got the DC locals OTA... WETA HD is a joke anyway... They run like 500 subchannels, and it's by far the most bitrate-starved channel I've ever seen! I may be mistaken, but I actually think they aired "HD" programming on TWO subchannels at once!

Jason,

The OTA WETA feed drops out periodically (my rabbit ears are on the north sie of my house and Arlington is to the SW) but otherwise the news hour, nova etc. look perfectly fine. The three other sub channels have cooking, travel and kids shows. I doubt there's any bitrate starvation, just low power level.

Ben
DCBEN
H20-100
HR22-100
Slimline-3S (SWM)

#14 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Jason,

The OTA WETA feed drops out periodically (my rabbit ears are on the north sie of my house and Arlington is to the SW) but otherwise the news hour, nova etc. look perfectly fine. The three other sub channels have cooking, travel and kids shows. I doubt there's any bitrate starvation, just low power level.

Ben

It will be interesting to see what happens on June 12. Does anyone know if ETA plans to bump up the power of their digital broadcast?
Rob

spam firewall