Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital in Denver: View of Things to Come

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

When 3 of top 5 stations in Denver (KUSA/NBC, KMGH/ABC, KTVD/My) dropped their analog April 16th, by far the biggest problem is with converters and receivers that do not re-scan properly. A recent article shares the frustration of many viewers, myself among them. I too had to delete old channels before the converters would access the new channels, and in converters that do not allow channel-by-channel changes, you had to figure out how to completely re-set the receiver.

The far bigger question is why the ABC & NBC affiliates did not retain their UHF assignments? They had excellent channels, 16 & 17, but chose to return to their old VHF assignments, 7 and 9, at a 7 to 10db power reduction. The other UHF channels are working great, even in challenged locations. But for viewers who needed only rabbit ears now need to go to outdoor antennas makes me question the wisdom of these stations. One chief engineer told me, "we can use our channel 20 signal for Mobile TV, we didn't need 2 UHF channels."

Expect the big re-scan issue to be the June 12th bugaboo nationally.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:25 AM

When 3 of top 5 stations in Denver (KUSA/NBC, KMGH/ABC, KTVD/My) dropped their analog April 16th, by far the biggest problem is with converters and receivers that do not re-scan properly. A recent article shares the frustration of many viewers, myself among them. I too had to delete old channels before the converters would access the new channels, and in converters that do not allow channel-by-channel changes, you had to figure out how to completely re-set the receiver.

The far bigger question is why the ABC & NBC affiliates did not retain their UHF assignments? They had excellent channels, 16 & 17, but chose to return to their old VHF assignments, 7 and 9, at a 7 to 10db power reduction. The other UHF channels are working great, even in challenged locations. But for viewers who needed only rabbit ears now need to go to outdoor antennas makes me question the wisdom of these stations. One chief engineer told me, "we can use our channel 20 signal for Mobile TV, we didn't need 2 UHF channels."

Expect the big re-scan issue to be the June 12th bugaboo nationally.

I agree with you 100%, Bill. Just look at the major problem Dish is having with users inserting a purple card in a slot. So much of a problem that the new encryption system has been delayed. If inserting a card in a slot is a major problem just think how much of a problem reprogramming a converter box will be.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

When you get down to that last 5% on the left side of the bell curve, this is to be expected.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

The far bigger question is why the ABC & NBC affiliates did not retain their UHF assignments? They had excellent channels, 16 & 17, but chose to return to their old VHF assignments, 7 and 9, at a 7 to 10db power reduction.

I can think of two reasons. For one, if they have historically been "Channel 7" and "Channel 9," they may want to keep those RF assignments. The other reason -- and probably the main one -- is simply economics. To cover roughly the same area it often costs more than 20 times as much to power UHF as VHF.

Looked at another way, if electricity cost 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, the difference between full power UHF (often at one megawatt) and full power VHF (say 50 kilowatts or so) is the difference between $100 per hour and $5 per hour in the cost to power the tower. Multiply that by the number of hours in a month or in a year and you have a pretty serious cost savings.

I'm sure this is why many of the stations who are dropping their high VHF analog signals are moving their digital signals to those frequencies.

#5 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I don't follow that station engineer's statement. They don't get to keep the old digtal channel. If they go from 20 to 9, they have to give up Ch. 20.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Unused channels in are used for wireless microphones, TV station relay and other low power applications, those empty channels really aren't empty.

This is very irritating to DXers.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

If a channel has branded themselves as "ABC7" and then goes digital and moves to UHF channel 19, I believe the FCC still requires them to use the "ABC7" moniker, as to help prevent confusion to some people.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

If a channel has branded themselves as "ABC7" and then goes digital and moves to UHF channel 19, I believe the FCC still requires them to use the "ABC7" moniker, as to help prevent confusion to some people.

PSIP will take care of mapping them back to channel 7.
Most of the viewers won't even know they are now on channel 19.

Even if the FCC doesn't require it, stations aren't going to change their "brand" to their new channel.
That would confuse the viewers who have known them as ABC7 for 40 years.

One around here started branding themselves as ABC4-Digital40 when digital first started happening.
They've since dropped the Digital40 as viewers were very confused, and just stayed with ABC4, even though they are on channel 40.

phox

#9 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

I don't follow that station engineer's statement. They don't get to keep the old digtal channel. If they go from 20 to 9, they have to give up Ch. 20.

I should have been more clear about that. The Gannet Company owns 2 stations in the market, ch. 9 (NBC) and ch.20 (MY Network). They felt the ch. 20 signal (now on ch. 19), was perfect for mobile TV and didn't need 2 UHF signals.

Ziggy29, I like your thinking. Energy savings was exactly why they turned off Ch. 20's analog early. Since they didn't need to cut the analog to start using digital on their final channel, energy would be the only compelling reason. I'm sure the other stations in the market who remain on analog are thinking they will gain some viewers who won't or can't switch to digital, and will stay with what's left...justifying the additional electric bill.

spam firewall