Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABC O&O Locals to carry HD sub-channel?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

The Wikipedia link in post #1 indicates that the subchannel will use lower bandwidth:

"Live Well HD Network is a home, health and lifestyle high definition digital subchannel network owned by Disney-ABC Television Group that launched on April 27, 2009, and broadcasts in a lower-bandwidth form of 720p in order to preserve bandwidth for the main HD station signal and additional 480i digital subchannels; for instance on WABC-TV, WABC-DT broadcasts at 10mbps, while Live Well HD on WABC-DT2 has a 5mbps signal, leaving 3mbps for their local version of The AccuWeather Channel in 480i on WABC-DT3."

Of course, it will still detract from the available bandwidth for the main channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

It is not D* Mpeg4. What you see is a problem with your station that uses Harris Mpeg2 encoder. There is a setting that has to be changed to manual as it comes set to auto. This casues picture going out of focus.

Interesting, thanks for that info. We have a local CBS affiliate that gets fuzzy for a second or so after movement. It's very noticeable during Jeopardy! HD, which obviously has little camera movement.

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

The Wikipedia link in post #1 indicates that the subchannel will use lower bandwidth:

"Live Well HD Network is a home, health and lifestyle high definition digital subchannel network owned by Disney-ABC Television Group that launched on April 27, 2009, and broadcasts in a lower-bandwidth form of 720p in order to preserve bandwidth for the main HD station signal and additional 480i digital subchannels; for instance on WABC-TV, WABC-DT broadcasts at 10mbps, while Live Well HD on WABC-DT2 has a 5mbps signal, leaving 3mbps for their local version of The AccuWeather Channel in 480i on WABC-DT3."

Of course, it will still detract from the available bandwidth for the main channel.

I think when when ABC first started broadcasting the "Live Well" network as a sub-channel back around the time I began this thread, they tried to divide up the bandwidth between it and the main HD sub-channel more evenly. But when the complaints stated pouring in about the PQ problems this was causing to the main HD signal they tried to reapportion the bandwidth to heavily favor it at the expense of the Live Well sub-channel.

The only problem is this couldn't be worse for Live Well's signal since you really cannot go "halfway" to HD like this. If you are going to use an HD format you must give it the bandwidth it needs otherwise you defeat the whole purpose of going to HD and now Live Well looks as bad or worse than if they had telecast it in SD. At least here in L.A it does were every movement it seems in the picture causes pixelization all over the place now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...