Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free preview of hbo & max in may

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   romito201

romito201

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

found this site http://www.freeprevi...or-directv.html

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   frnz571

frnz571

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the info. Last time Starz had a Free preview, Directv let me know about it the day after it was over

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

Now come all the posts from people saying there's nothing to watch on them.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

heh heh... Max usually does late at night :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

Will probably fill up the DVR with some movies at that time.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

They do when it's a preview...... after a weekend preview you see pretty much all the stuff that is on the rest of the month.... :D

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Will probably fill up the DVR with some movies at that time.

I still have movies from the laast one and the Starz preview as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

Amen! I second that! Also, this isn't Starz, so there should be some quality movies to watch too!

#9 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

yh, and most will be first time posters lol

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Amen! I second that! Also, this isn't Starz, so there should be some quality movies to watch too!

And unlike STARZ! the HBO/Cinemax previews don't generally include obnoxious "call this 800 number now to subscribe" interruptions during the movies. And HBO/Cinemax don't interrupt the closing credits of the movies either. Finally, they are the only premium services that don't put that irritating "bug" in the corner of the screen reminding you of what channel you are watching.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...line=1212622599
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#12 OFFLINE   Greggbb

Greggbb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

I just set up my OnDemand. When a free preview like this one hits, will I also have the ability to use HBO OnDemand? And if so, once the preview is over, do my OnDemand downloads "expire" immediately?

Thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

What's the best way to search for movies on during this free preview?

#14 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

What's the best way to search for movies on during this free preview?

I usually highlight the channel name in the guide and press INFO. That will give you a guide of up to 14 days for just that channel. Since the preview is only for 3-4 days, it doesn't long to scroll through the list and select some movies to record.

#15 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

I just set up my OnDemand. When a free preview like this one hits, will I also have the ability to use HBO OnDemand? And if so, once the preview is over, do my OnDemand downloads "expire" immediately?

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but if I remember right during one of these 'free weekends' I was NOT able to download DoD selections from those 'free preview' channels. However, if you are able to, they should not automatically expire when the preview is over. Anything you've downloaded during that time should remain until you delete it, or it is deleted to allow for other recordings if your HD is full.

#16 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

I could be wrong, but if I remember right during one of these 'free weekends' I was NOT able to download DoD selections from those 'free preview' channels. However, if you are able to, they should not automatically expire when the preview is over. Anything you've downloaded during that time should remain until you delete it, or it is deleted to allow for other recordings if your HD is full.

You remember correctly. DoD were not available for a given premium channel last time. I don't expect it to be any difrerent this time.

#17 OFFLINE   dishbd

dishbd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

HBO on Demand and Cinemax on Demand don't exist on D* anyway, so it's a moot point for this free preview.

#18 OFFLINE   Zellio

Zellio

Icon

• Banned User
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Wow! What a tryout of two channels (and 2 duplicates!)! I imagine everyone will be dying to switch from their current provider who by now has more hbo/cinemax channels, even if the provider is a local cableco run by billy joe in his farm!

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

DoD content has an automatic deletion date. So it's not like regular content that you can keep forever.

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:32 PM

Wow! What a tryout of two channels (and 2 duplicates!)! I imagine everyone will be dying to switch from their current provider who by now has more hbo/cinemax channels, even if the provider is a local cableco run by billy joe in his farm!

People who don't have DirecTV won't really know of the free preview or watch it. I understand your post was just a complaint about the amount of channels but you should have done something like "Wow people can see how many less channels HBO/Max are then they had anywhere else". That would have been more to the point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...