Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL ST 2009 early bird special?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

You'll have to negotiate free Superfan but a CSR really can't do anything until it's available for sale and in their system, usually after June 1st or so.

Ok, thanks, I was wondering when SuperFan would be available to order.....now to figure out how to get the best leverage to get it free.....add the 5 pay plan now and when its available threaten to cancel and get a refund if they don't give me SuperFan for free?? Or wait until June and try and get SuperFan for free when I order....hmmm.....decisions :):D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   GodisGreat79

GodisGreat79

Legend

• Banned User
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Ok, thanks, I was wondering when SuperFan would be available to order.....now to figure out how to get the best leverage to get it free.....add the 5 pay plan now and when its available threaten to cancel and get a refund if they don't give me SuperFan for free?? Or wait until June and try and get SuperFan for free when I order....hmmm.....decisions :):D

If you threaten to cancel be careful they might take you up on it.

#23 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

If you threaten to cancel be careful they might take you up on it.

Well I'd only be canceling NFL Sunday Ticket, not my whole account :P I wouldn't mind one bit if they took me up on it :) I get ALL the 49er's games without ST....so its value to me is really only the RedZone Channel and the occasional time that a good matchup isn't being shown locally (usually due to the crappy Raiders being shown :mad:) That being said, I'd be one of the guys who would subscribe to JUST the RedZone Channel for $100 a season (if they offered that as an option) as I find it's AWESOME for Fantasy Football :D

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#24 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

So in theory we should be able to get Superfan for free if we talk to a CSR?

I got D* for the first time last year, so I'm not sure exactly how you all work it.

#25 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

I got D* for the first time last year, so I'm not sure exactly how you all work it.

I got Sunday Ticket midseason last year for the first time and got SuperFan for free....others on this forum have said they have been repeat subscribers of NFL Sunday Ticket and have called and got a CSR to give them SuperFan for free, year after year.....I'm just going by thier experiences. I just don't think in my specific case, that RedZone Channel and an occasional out of market game or two a season is worth $400 when I get my teams games every Sunday :D

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#26 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Just keep watching the threads as people post their experiences with CSRs trying to get it free. Last year there was a sustained negative tone to the threads as everyone was simply getting turned down flat. But then - I can't remember exactly when - a few posts appeared that were positive, that only involved the caller, basically, explaining that they didn't want NFLST without the HD option, but was having real trouble justifying the extra $99 just to get the games in HD and so was debating whether or not to keep NFLST at all and, finally, asking if there were any way the CSR could give them a $99 credit to cover the cost of Superfan or, in my case, some credits that were just as good (since they covered the cost of premium channels I was planning on paying for anyway). I had the impression that Directv simply gave the CSRs absolutely no wiggle room with this up until a certain point. If it happens again - probably will, I would think - you'll get the first indications of it here. Just see what other people are having success with and give it a try.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#27 ONLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,366 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

I got Sunday Ticket midseason last year for the first time and got SuperFan for free....others on this forum have said they have been repeat subscribers of NFL Sunday Ticket and have called and got a CSR to give them SuperFan for free, year after year.....I'm just going by thier experiences. I just don't think in my specific case, that RedZone Channel and an occasional out of market game or two a season is worth $400 when I get my teams games every Sunday :D

Yeah I mean why get Sunday Ticket to watch the Lions lose when you got the 49ers you can watch instead right? Just kidding lol!

#28 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

Last year some of us called and got ST for 249.00 over 6 payments instead of 279 over 5 plus free Superfan. Deadline was July 31st. Total savings: 129.00!

#29 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

Last year some of us called and got ST for 249.00 over 6 payments instead of 279 over 5 plus free Superfan. Deadline was July 31st. Total savings: 129.00!

Do you remember when you called? Someone mentioned above that SuperFan isn't available to order until after June 1st, did you call after then?? :)

Yeah I mean why get Sunday Ticket to watch the Lions lose when you got the 49ers you can watch instead right? Just kidding lol!

Haha, you just wait, this year is gonna be good! :D:D

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#30 OFFLINE   Machael

Machael

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

It's really sad that Superfan is still an extra package to purchase. Considering the technology used now, and since it's so geared to HD, you would think that to get it in SD would be what costs extra.

I will try and get it for free, but to me, it's just BS since they charge so much for ST anyway. :nono2:

HR23-700
HR20-700
WB68 multiswitch
Networked via Netgear XAVB101 Powerline (200MPS)
Sony KDL-52XBR4 (via HDMI)
Onkyo TX-SR302 (Coax DD input)
PS3
Remote: Logitech 600
UPS: APC

#31 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

Agreed. They should really just charge for the extra bells and whistles you get with Superfan beyond HD (which should be no extra charge for those of us paying for HD access). But, I suspect, they realize there wouldn't be a lot of takers for Red Zone Channel (even though I actually like that quite a lot) and player tracker (which I use not at all) especially at $99.

It's really sad that Superfan is still an extra package to purchase. Considering the technology used now, and since it's so geared to HD, you would think that to get it in SD would be what costs extra.

I will try and get it for free, but to me, it's just BS since they charge so much for ST anyway. :nono2:

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#32 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Agreed. They should really just charge for the extra bells and whistles you get with Superfan beyond HD (which should be no extra charge for those of us paying for HD access). But, I suspect, they realize there wouldn't be a lot of takers for Red Zone Channel (even though I actually like that quite a lot) and player tracker (which I use not at all) especially at $99.

I actually think there would be alot of people interested in just the RedZone Channel and different levels of NFL Sunday Ticket.....in a perfect world, NFL ST would be $299 (with discounts for early bird, etc) which included all games in HD and Superfan, and a Superfan Only package for $99 for the RedZone Channel, PlayerTracker and Shortcuts only.....but thats just IMO :D

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#33 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

See what's going on in JULY and negotiate your best deal before July 31. After that you have to wait about 6 weeks into the season before they start cutting price!

#34 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

I've subbed to NFL-Sunday Ticket every year since 1994. I have subbed to Superfan since 2006, and only had to pay for it in '07. If you call THIS year and "get Superfan free" they may require you to agree to a new 2-year contract. If this is the case, as was with me in '06, then don't expect to get anything free in '10. Not saying impossible, but you will not have any room to bargain.

IMO, Superfan should be free if you are paying them $10+ every month for HD-Access AND Sunday Ticket! I don't care AT ALL about "Red Zone," "Blue Zone," "Slightly Chartreuse Zone," or online access! I've never used them, nor do I intend to. I WATCH football games. I think fantasy football is ghey, believe that football is a TEAM sport, and thus have NO use for player tracker! HD-access should be free, especially considering the annual price increases! When I started in '94, NFL-ST was $99. I've paid every year despite increases, but paying extra for SF PLUS increasing the baseline is gouging, IMO!
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#35 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

I've subbed to NFL-Sunday Ticket every year since 1994. I have subbed to Superfan since 2006, and only had to pay for it in '07. If you call THIS year and "get Superfan free" they may require you to agree to a new 2-year contract. If this is the case, as was with me in '06, then don't expect to get anything free in '10. Not saying impossible, but you will not have any room to bargain.

IMO, Superfan should be free if you are paying them $10+ every month for HD-Access AND Sunday Ticket! I don't care AT ALL about "Red Zone," "Blue Zone," "Slightly Chartreuse Zone," or online access! I've never used them, nor do I intend to. I WATCH football games. I think fantasy football is ghey, believe that football is a TEAM sport, and thus have NO use for player tracker! HD-access should be free, especially considering the annual price increases! When I started in '94, NFL-ST was $99. I've paid every year despite increases, but paying extra for SF PLUS increasing the baseline is gouging, IMO!

I won't argue with any of your comments except the Red Zone. When my team isn't playing the Zone is a great football experience. Seeing everything that happens around the league and with no commercials is the best thing since sliced bread.

#36 OFFLINE   Rodneyt

Rodneyt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

I won't argue with any of your comments except the Red Zone. When my team isn't playing the Zone is a great football experience. Seeing everything that happens around the league and with no commercials is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hear hear!

I love watching the Red Zone. The only part that is hard is when monday morning quarterbacking, I sometimes forget what great play was done by what team in what game! But it is a kick to watch!

-Rodney
1 Sony SVR2000
1 Hughes HDVR2
1 Philips DSR 7000
1 Toshiba RS-TX20
2 TiVo HR10-250's
Channel Plus modulators means All TiVos in All Rooms!

#37 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

I love Red Zone but it isn't worth $100. You can get the same for free with any of the free live game trackers and a laptop. Just change the channel yourself.

They had better do away with the additional charges this year, especially in a bad economy. You can only screw with people for so long.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...