Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locals no longer included in Choice Plus?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sobal

sobal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

I just got my latest bill and I have the legacy package, Total Choice Plus. There is a charge on my bill for $6.00 labeled, "Your Local Channels Monthly". I also had a charge of $5.00 for "Your Local Channels Partial Month Charge" that covers last month's bill. Does this mean locals are not included in Total Choice Plus any more? I've never been billed for locals separately, and my package price is $57.99. Is this DirecTV's way to get us to leave the legacy package?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

Dont know. Its worth a call though. Thats one way to get people off a package they dont want them on lol. Kind of dirty if you ask me. I guess lets hope its not true. Please be sure to update us after you find out. I would call the VP of CS office and not the regular CSR's though.

#3 OFFLINE   wolfman730

wolfman730

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have Total Choice Plus and there is no extra fee for local channels.

#4 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

I also have Total Choice and there is no extra charge for local channels,
price did go up 4 bucks for Total Choice last month though.

The rounding up of everything adds ups as well.
DVR charge is now an even $6, leased receivers are now an even $5, HD Access is now an even $10.
I think the "Utah Video Service Tax also went up.

phox

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

It's an error call in and get it removed they will apply credit as well.

#6 OFFLINE   sobal

sobal

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Shades228. I didn't know if it was an error or a pricing change, and I didn't want to go through the phone call if the charge was being applied to everyone. I just got off the phone (only a 7 minute phone call) and they said the charge was in error. The CSR told me someone turned on the local channel charge in error and they credited me the $11 that was charged to my account. I see that the prior month charge for local service began on 03/27/09, which was the same day I canceled Sports Pack for the season. The CSR must have turned Sports Pack off and the locals add-on charge on.

#7 OFFLINE   sobal

sobal

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

An update to my problem of being charged for locals: Today I turned on the local NBC HD affiliate and the channel was blocked. I was getting a message that said I didn't purchase them. The SD locals and national HD channels were working fine. Another call to DirecTV and they turned my HD locals back on. I wonder what I'll find wrong tomorrow?

#8 OFFLINE   heidic

heidic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Interesting... I have the legacy TC+ package too, and a few days ago, I requested a premium channel disconnect and my locals were accidentally turned off at the same time. I called to have them turned back on, but now I find this in my account activity: $1.80 charge for local channels; $1.80 credit for local channels; another $1.80 charge for locals. Something definitely screwy going on.

#9 OFFLINE   ccmilesd

ccmilesd

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

There have been a few more small charges on my bill lately as well..... time to get out the 'ol headset and get ready for an evening on the phone with Directv.

#10 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

I wonder if something's going on too. Just this week I switched to Total Choice Select, which is a legacy package DirecTV still offers but doesn't advertise. However, after making the change, while perusing the "Change Package" option on the Web site to compare prices, I see all of the packages are listed with "No Locals," but the price of the packages is the same. For example, I see "Family - No Locals" listed at $29.99, "Choice - No Locals" listed at $54.99 (if I'm remembering the price right). Anybody else? I wonder if this is a glitch, or is DirecTV moving to separate Locals as a separate add-on for everybody?

#11 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I have an AM21 if they pull that with me I will drop the locals.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

I have an AM21 if they pull that with me I will drop the locals.

And they will send a signal and "poof", you want guide data for those OTA locals??? $4.99amo :)

#13 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

And they will send a signal and "poof", you want guide data for those OTA locals??? $4.99amo :)

Actually I looked at my Bill and there is no seperate charge fo locals.....

Yeah I didn't think of that...... I could always get a DTVPAL or whatever it is....

http://dishnetworktr40.com/

A bit pricey but since 99% of what I record is OTA anyway, all except Rescue Me and Sons of Anarchy... I know I know I have TC+ and 4 DVRS for that..... I could go all OTA and save a "bundle". I do however like ESPN Gameplan, and if NFLST was $220 or less I'd get it.

#14 OFFLINE   Elephanthead

Elephanthead

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Yep, if DTV tries the pay for locals bullhocky, I will tell them to stick the whole service where the sun don't shine, they are done anyway as a business, I will just watch what I want on hulu and netflix, they are like a dvr that records everything. DTV has missed the boat and the pain train is ready to leave the station.

#15 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Oops ... Turned out the "Choice-No Locals" option was just that: a Choice package without locals for $3 less than the full price. I guess they figured if I was trying to nickel and dime by going to the Select package, they might be able to lure me to pay $4 more for the Choice package by not charging me for the locals I already get OTA. It worked, especially since DirecTV doesn't offer my locals in high-def.

#16 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

Once upon a time you had a choice between TC+ with locals and TC+ without locals. Now, of course, you can't change between them without losing the grandfathering into these plans.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...