Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harrisonburg, VA and Palm Springs, CA get HD LiLs.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

According to directv.com's Local Channel Lookup tool, Harrisonburg, VA and Palm Springs, CA are now receiving HD local channels from DirecTV. The channels reported to be available are:

Harrisonburg:WHSV-3 (ABC), FOX 49 (no call letters given) and WVPT-51 (PBS)
Palm Springs: KMIR-36 (NBC)

Going by past experience with Tri-Cities, TN/VA, DirecTV may not consider Palm Springs an official HD LiL launch as DirecTV's official position is that they do not consider a HD LiL launch official until they have at least two stations in HD.

I would appreciate confirmations of these two launches by anyone who might be in the markets.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Invalid Entry

Invalid Entry

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Palm Springs KMIR (NBC) was in HD this morning.

#3 OFFLINE   marc1023

marc1023

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Yes KMIR was HD, based on past performance any idea how long until the other networks are HD??

#4 OFFLINE   jwn

jwn

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for your post! If it hadn't been for your information, tomorrow I would turning away the DirecTV guy at the door! I had just signed up for "everything", and was ASSURED by DirecTV that ALL the announced locals in HD were up and running! I had asked more than once. CLearly I have no intention of switching until the entire deed is done. I called DirecTV immediately, and was told, honestly I felt, that they have NO clear dates for the remaining locals. They suggested that I continued to change my installation appointment, maybe two weeks out at a time, and call 24 hours before the appointment to recheck the HD locals situation. Or I can just cancel my order and get my money back, but I think I negotiated a very fair package and don't want to lose its details.

One thing, on that chart we can now use to look up HD locals, it is unclear to me that the green color "revised" means. Revised how?

#5 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Is KMIR 36 still showing in HD? I didn't check this morning and when I logged in here today, I was already at work. Dateline for me is still in SD screen size. Am I missing something?

I have a HR21-700 with software 0x125

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

The only problem with this movement toward HD for the LiLs in the Palm Springs market is that it may be a mixed blessing of sorts since the standard definition subscribers were receiving them via Ka band SD feeds in MPEG-4 usually on an R22. With the conversion of the LiLs to HD however, means that the SD feeds will be discontinued in favor of only HD ones.

Therefore the situation will now be the same as with the 72.5 transferees in that SD subs are stuck with HD down-rezzed pictures in letter or window (for up-converted SD) box form with gray matte bars produced by their software locked R22s.

#7 OFFLINE   danallen

danallen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Harrisonburg, VA is confirmed. Channel listings listed are accurate.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...