Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast cable drops analog WILL just as the station shuts off analog!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Some here in Bloomington are hopping mad.
Within 2 weeks of WILL's Ch12 analog shutdown Comcast dropped them from their analog cable.

So cable customers don't have to worry? Well throw that myth out the window.

http://will.illinois...n-bloomington1/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Within 2 weeks of WILL's Ch12 analog shutdown Comcast dropped them from their analog cable.

Next time state the whole story - which you obviously didn't.

It's still available - just not on the analog only tier (requires digital cable subscription). You also still have it available OTA. (Digital only)

The analog only subscribers STILL have access to A PBS - just not WILL .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

The link is there. But there were lots of editorials. I don't think Comcast offered the free upgrade till all the rukus. But even some at WILL were initially caught off guard.

#4 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Here in Sarasota, Florida Comcast dropped WUSF channel 16 from the analog tier, citing the DTV transistion as the reason.

A few months ago they started moving the history channel, cartoon network, and a few others to digital only. Comcast is whittling away the only reason why I still have them, the ability to directly connect multiple tv's without $5 (or more) extra reciever fees. (I currently have 14 tvs connected in my house.)

#5 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Comcast is whittling away the only reason why I still have them, the ability to directly connect multiple tv's without $5 (or more) extra reciever fees.

And sadly, the only reason they are doing this is to charge more money, not because there is any technical reason to drop channels from the analog tier.

#6 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Did you even READ that article? :nono:

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

The link is there. But there were lots of editorials. I don't think Comcast offered the free upgrade till all the rukus. But even some at WILL were initially caught off guard.

Really ? when I read it - there were 2 comments from other readers... (direct off your link, btw)

#8 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

I think that the whole point was that in each PBS market, some PBS stations will be dropped from the analog tier, and that can/will happen on ANY cable system in the country. What cable companies, PBS affliates and several members of this forum tend to forget (and need to realize) is that PBS has a large number of viewers among seniors, low income, schools etc.

ALL of those individuals/institutions have heard the basic message "hey if you have cable nothing will happen!". But it obviously does. Many also forget that in a multi-PBS station market, such as mine (Los Angeles), the various PBS stations all carry separate schedules. So viewers DO lose programming because they cannot afford the extra fees for a digital cable box.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#9 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:42 AM

So viewers DO lose programming because they cannot afford the extra fees for a digital cable box.

That should be a non-issue as the "digital transition" was put off to June 12th to let people get the heavily subsidized digital OTA boxes. If people cannot get a station OTA, they have a choice, get an antenna that will receive the station or pay the cable company. There is no God-given right to receive out-of-market stations.

I don't really like the cable companies, but in this case, I agree with them, just because you used to get one (1) channel that has been replaced by 2-4 does not mean they HAVE to give you what replaces the one (1). If ESPN added 3 channels, do you really think you are entitled to them at no added cost?

#10 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

it is avaible as clear qam?

#11 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think that the whole point was that in each PBS market, some PBS stations will be dropped from the analog tier, and that can/will happen on ANY cable system in the country. What cable companies, PBS affliates and several members of this forum tend to forget (and need to realize) is that PBS has a large number of viewers among seniors, low income, schools etc.

ALL of those individuals/institutions have heard the basic message "hey if you have cable nothing will happen!". But it obviously does. Many also forget that in a multi-PBS station market, such as mine (Los Angeles), the various PBS stations all carry separate schedules. So viewers DO lose programming because they cannot afford the extra fees for a digital cable box.

I agree with your point that cable companies are misleading customers that nothing will happen. Their timing is awful. If they just waited a year to do this ( a year after the broadcast transition), it'd reduce confusion.

The article is interesting, but I'm thinking in multi-PBS station markets where there are more than 1 PBS within the DMA boundaries (the article here gives an example of PBS from an out of market area.. where its easily distinguished from area serviced to be primary vs. the other PBS station region). In most cases, a PBS affiliate would have no reason be dropped off analog only (when the other PBS affiliate, NBC ABC CBS is still on analog only). That'd be cutting off way too much exposure and potential pledge funding. If the cable company no longer offers analog only, then its another story.

Comcast has been moving out of market stations to digital only (ch.199-ch.260) for awhile now. Atleast cable customers still have access to them. Last time I checked, DirecTV and Dish don't sell and package out of market stations with packages. A satellite customer has to get an antenna and use a receiver (DVR) likely that can tune to over the air signals.

Edited by rnbmusicfan, 08 May 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

That should be a non-issue as the "digital transition" was put off to June 12th to let people get the heavily subsidized digital OTA boxes. If people cannot get a station OTA, they have a choice, get an antenna that will receive the station or pay the cable company. There is no God-given right to receive out-of-market stations.

Channel 12 WILL and channel 3 WCIA WERE part of our market till they salamandered it.

#13 OFFLINE   Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Really ? when I read it - there were 2 comments from other readers... (direct off your link, btw)

Newspaper editorials. Some of us live by the web alone. Some like me prefer to read paper. Or listen to the neighbors cry. Glad I can't provide links to some of that.:lol:

#14 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

Channel 12 WILL and channel 3 WCIA WERE part of our market till they salamandered it.

Then your beef is with PBS, why don't you call and DEMAND that they change their contract with the cable companies so you can get what you want? While you are at it, write Dept of Treasury and tell them to cut your taxes, your bank and tell them you want 50% APR interest on your savings account, .... :D Somehow, I think they will all get the same response.

Some like me prefer to read paper. Or listen to the neighbors cry.

Neighbors??????????? :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Sam Spastic

Sam Spastic

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

Then your beef is with PBS, why don't you call and DEMAND that they change their contract with the cable companies so you can get what you want?

I do not have cable. My neighbors beef might be with Neilson for "gerrymandering" the markets. I get OTA digital.

My beef is with the timing of the cable change to make it look like part of the national digital transition rather than a comcast b*tthead decision.

#16 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

I do not have cable. My neighbors beef might be with Neilson for "gerrymandering" the markets. I get OTA digital.

My beef is with the timing of the cable change to make it look like part of the national digital transition rather than a comcast b*tthead decision.

Hmmmm.... so you are complaining about something that has no impact on you?

Its not Nielsen, its the cable company (and PBS) and NOBODY forces anyone to subscribe, now do they? If its important to get all the PBS stations to someone, they should get an antenna and get them OTA. What is carried on cable is contracted between comcrap and PBS, do not try to lay the blame on anyone else. If comcrap dropped USA network, would you be singing the same song?

#17 OFFLINE   satjoe

satjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:43 PM

Comcast has already announced that they will be pulling all their expanded basic an putting it onto a digital tier. They will only be keeping their basic package analog, which is about 18 channels. There is a technical reason and finncial. They are trying to reclaim spectrum without the cost of another plant upgrade. supposedly they will be giving boxes away.You can bet that it will only be promotional in the short term to keep customers quite.:)

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

Cox is doing the same thing here in Phoenix. They haven't moved any of the LiL to the digital tier, but have started moving channels like TCM and Fox Movies to the digital tier. It would not surprise me if the only thing left analog are the LiLs. My Mom said if they move AMC she will switch to DirecTV.

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

I've predicted that the cable companies will eventually do this - everything but Locals will require a box for digital cable. And if your TV is old enough - it will eventually as well.

#20 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

I've predicted that the cable companies will eventually do this - everything but Locals will require a box for digital cable. And if your TV is old enough - it will eventually as well.

That makes sense, they can put several (2-4 depending on bandwidth and implementation scheme) digital channels in place of each analog channel. Most cable companies were using 2-99 for analog, if they move 80 of those to digital, they can add 200-350 digital (and HD) channels into the same bandwidth without the excessive costs of completely rebuilding their plant. This is the reason that the satellite companies have been digital from the start, lower bandwidth usage.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...