Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Favorite MLB Broadcasting crew

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dr_Jim

Dr_Jim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Ordinarily I mute the volume and just watch the game, but there are a few exceptions.

Being a Red Sox fan, I llisten to Don Orsillo and Rem Dog. Since I usually find myself watching more of the late west coast games, I do enjoy the Angels, Mariners, and Giants team; and I especially like the Diamondback crew of Sutton and Gracie as they remind me a little of the old Barves announcer Skip Caray. Ironically growing up in Florida for many years all I had was the Braves games and I never liked (the father) Don Sutton. And even though I don't like Hawk Harrilson that much, now that he is teamed with Steve Stone, will listen to them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

Anyone besides Tim "Back-when-I-played" McCarver.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

My favorite crew comes from the 70's and 80's when NBC was doing baseball.

Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

Add Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the 'anybody besides' list.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#5 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

I've lived in Northern KY all my life so the Reds are my team (once a real blessing, lately not as much) and I'll take Marty Brennaman over anyone (he only does radio but I'll turn that on and turn down the TV). Nostalgia dictates that "The Old Left Hander" Joe Nuxhall is my favorite all-time partner of his but it's hard to complain about it when he and Thom are both on at the same time - even if it is rare.

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

Joe Morgan aka Dr. Obvious. I've actually heard him say, many times;
"You have to score runs to win."
"The key to hitting is making contact."
"Stealing bases puts runners in position to score."
:rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

Add steve phillips as well what a waste why is that guy on there.it's clear that Joe doesn't like him. 3 annoucers is too many-yes add tim mcarver as well. I usually listen to our radio guys when my cubs are playing.

#8 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

I love to listen to Vin Scully call games.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#9 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:40 PM

I disagree on Miller, maybe not the best on ESPN but there's nobody better when he's calling Giants games. He can take a boring inning and make it interesting. Being a Giants fan in general I do enjoy Kruk and Kuip. Plus, you gotta give Kuiper credit, he went from being a ball player to doing play by play not many can pull that off smoothly.

#10 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

I disagree on Miller, maybe not the best on ESPN but there's nobody better when he's calling Giants games. He can take a boring inning and make it interesting. Being a Giants fan in general I do enjoy Kruk and Kuip. Plus, you gotta give Kuiper credit, he went from being a ball player to doing play by play not many can pull that off smoothly.

Kuip went from playing ball, to doing color with Hank Greenwald, to then finally doing play by play with Mike Krukow. Kruk and Kuip make a great team.

But, I also enjoy Jon Miller. I like him on ESPN, but can't stand Joe and Steve. I always like him on Giants broadcast, especially on the radio when it's just him. Great commentary.

But, as someone above said, Vin Scully is great. No matter how much I hate the Dodgers (and boy, being a Giants fan, do I hate the dodgers...), Vin Scully is a great broadcaster.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#11 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

Joe Buck is horrible as well. He's such a homer, even with national games. I truely hate this guy. He even said he thinks baseball is boring and he doesn't like calling baseball games. I rarely watch Fox Saturday baseball, mainly because of Joe Buck (McCarver doesn't help....). And, the post season sucks when these two yahoos get involved. I really really really dislike Buck and McCarver

Edited by redfiver, 02 June 2009 - 11:01 AM.

Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#12 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

You can also add Len Casper and Bob Brenly for the Cubs. They wont even admit that the team is playing poorly it's always an excuse. They are about as boring and talk about nothing during the whole game. I listen to Pat Hughes and Ron Santo they are great during the games Ron really gets into it. I was wondering how your guys tv announcers compare or is it about the same.

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Michael Kay, Al Leiter, and Paul O'Neill on YES Network. Very entertaining and insightful, and they don't root for the Yankees, like other team's announcers do. The YES guys are very neutral.

Some teams announcers talk badly about the opposing team and do actually root on the air for their team. I thought these announcer guys were supposed to be impartial on the air. Many of them aren't.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#14 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Michael Kay, Al Leiter, and Paul O'Neill on YES Network. Very entertaining and insightful, and they don't root for the Yankees, like other team's announcers do. The YES guys are very neutral.

Some teams announcers talk badly about the opposing team and do actually root on the air for their team. I thought these announcer guys were supposed to be impartial on the air. Many of them aren't.

WHOA!! The YES guys are very neutral?!!! :lol: I'm sorry but that's funny. Now if you take Kay out of the booth I MIGHT agree with you. My favorite YES team is Kenny Singleton, Paul O'Neill and/or Al Leiter. Kay has got to be the most irritating announcer around, yes even more so than the above mentioned doozies like Morgan, McCarver etc. Putting Michael Kay in the booth is like having Mike Francesa there. :D:lol:
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#15 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Dan,your home team annoucers should be partial to your team. If not then they are not true fans of the team and should not be announcing. I remember one time when the cubs playing the mets and cubs got out of a bases loaded jam and Chip Carray said to steve stone why cant these mets score with bases loaded and steve stone just looked at him dumbfounded it wasnt a good look.At least Harry was a Cubs fan. Like i say it's interesting to see what people think of there announcers-max.

#16 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (of course :D). Dennis Eckersley has done an admirable job in Jerry's absence.

Edited by redsoxfan26, 06 June 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (of course :D). Dennis Eckersly has done an admirable job in Jerry's absence.

I have to say I miss RemDog. Any idea how much longer he'll be out?!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

I really liked George Kell and Al Kaline when they used to do the Tiger games. Kaline was a bit of a dunce, but they worked very well together. Of course, I'd listen to Ernie Harwell and anybody.

Currently, I really like Josh Lewin. He announced for the Tigers about 10 years ago and now broadcasts for the Rangers. I don't listen to the Rangers very often, but he also does Fox National Games.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

I have to say I miss RemDog. Any idea how much longer he'll be out?!

Look for updates here: http://redsox.trufan.com/profile/53224

#20 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

My favorite announcer for baseball is Vin Scully.

Btw, does anyone know if you can get all the Dodgers feeds (home and away) on MLB Extra Innings (in HD)?

spam firewall