Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Favorite MLB Broadcasting crew

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

My favorite announcer for baseball is Vin Scully.

Btw, does anyone know if you can get all the Dodgers feeds (home and away) on MLB Extra Innings (in HD)?

You can get all FSN Prime Ticket Dodger/HD feeds yes but not their OTA feeds.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

WHOA!! The YES guys are very neutral?!!! :lol: I'm sorry but that's funny.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that was a hoot.

I will say as a general rule the YES announcers are quite good. Kay doesn't even bother me that much, but he's clearly the "homer" in that booth. Even as a Mets fan I find that YES does a pretty outstanding job. Having disclosed that fact, the SNY announcers are my favorites, Ron Darling in particular. SNY as a RSN though leaves a lot to be desired. They do a good job with the Mets broadcasts, but that's all they really offer. They focus on the Jets, though I'm not sure what they offer that you couldn't find on the Jets' web site. They offer no other Sporting events besides Mets games and some of their promos are embarrassing, like this one. Like the YouTube submitter intimates, 'nuff said.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#23 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that was a hoot.

I will say as a general rule the YES announcers are quite good. Kay doesn't even bother me that much, but he's clearly the "homer" in that booth. Even as a Mets fan I find that YES does a pretty outstanding job. Having disclosed that fact, the SNY announcers are my favorites, Ron Darling in particular. SNY as a RSN though leaves a lot to be desired. They do a good job with the Mets broadcasts, but that's all they really offer. They focus on the Jets, though I'm not sure what they offer that you couldn't find on the Jets' web site. They offer no other Sporting events besides Mets games and some of their promos are embarrassing, like this one. Like the YouTube submitter intimates, 'nuff said.

SNY does have a good crew I agree, my favorite is Mex (Keith Hernandez). However one problem I have an issue with is why do they keep bringing out Ralph Kiner. I mean I know he is a legend and all but it just doesn't seem like he is "all there" at times if you know what I mean. It just seems like they are trotting him out to show fans he is still around, kinda demeaning if you ask me.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#24 OFFLINE   RichardMcCarty

RichardMcCarty

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hard to beat the SNY crew of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, and Kevin Burkhardt. They're obviously New York Mets fans but they do provide fairly unbiased coverage. Keith provides some priceless quotes, especially when the "Metsies" are playing poorly. And that's happening way too often once again this year.

#25 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

My vote is for Kruk and Kuip as well. Kuiper's a great play by play man, and Kruk's the funniest all-around baseball fan outside of Bob Uecker.

#26 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (of course :D). Dennis Eckersley has done an admirable job in Jerry's absence.

The Rem Dawg is back tonight!:)

Edit: oops. No he isn't. Seems I jumped the gun a little bit. He was interviewed on NESN before tonight's game. He will be returning soon.

Edited by redsoxfan26, 12 August 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

It's reported today on NESN television that Jerry Remy will return on a part time basis this Friday.:)

#28 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

It's reported today on NESN television that Jerry Remy will return on a part time basis this Friday.:)

He's also said via Twitter that He'll be talking with the guys in the booth during the 4th inning.
Dan Sholtis

#29 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

I know it's not a real call but when I watch "For Love of the Game", Vin Scully gives me goosebumps:

"...you get the feeling that Billy Chapel isn't pitching against left handers, he isn't pitching against pinch hitters, he isn't pitching against the Yankees. He's pitching against time. He's pitching against the future, against age, and even when you think about his career, against ending. And tonight I think he might be able to use that aching old arm one more time to push the sun back up in the sky and give us one more day of summer."

Here in Seattle I love listening to hall of famer Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizz - in fact I'm listening to them as I type this. When I moved to Seattle in '93, these are the guys that made me fall in love with the Mariners.

Unfortunately I can't stand Dave Sims here. He's made a couple of the worst calls that I've ever heard. For example, this year he referred to a passed ball as not an error on the catcher: "I repeat, it's a passed ball - NOT an error on the catcher!" Apparently he thought that a passed ball was an error on the pitcher. Dumb@$$. And he simply has to run his trap ALL the time.

Nationally, I can't stand Joe Buck - another guy who yacks just to hear himself yack.

What some of these announcers need to learn is to simply call the game and stop injecting so much minutia into the broadcast. A little white space is okay.

Edited by Reaper, 19 August 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

I really liked George Kell and Al Kaline when they used to do the Tiger games. Kaline was a bit of a dunce, but they worked very well together. Of course, I'd listen to Ernie Harwell and anybody.

:righton:
Now this is a man that knows what he's talking about! :D

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#31 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Have to say Hawk Harrelson is the worst. I like the SNY/Mets crew although Gary Cohen can be a homer also. I love Vin Scully on the Dodgers games.
Oh Mark Grace on the D'Backs telescasts is downright awful.

#32 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Scully for sure. For those who may have heard them, Phil Rizzuto and Bill White were laugh out loud funny doing the Yankee games years ago. They worked with other partners, like Fran Healy and Frank Messer. They needed a third guy, because Rizzuto often disappeared after the 7th, to beat the George Washingon Bridge traffic back to New Jersey.
/steve

#33 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Joe Garagiola and Vin Scully

Tim McCarver is the worst

JACK,

#34 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

You can also add Len Casper and Bob Brenly for the Cubs. They wont even admit that the team is playing poorly it's always an excuse. They are about as boring and talk about nothing during the whole game. I listen to Pat Hughes and Ron Santo they are great during the games Ron really gets into it. I was wondering how your guys tv announcers compare or is it about the same.

I would turn the TV down and listen to the radio but the radio is several seconds ahead of the TV. Could someone invent a delay mechanism for radio like the DVR does for TV? I am not a Cubs fan but I love listening to Pat and Ron.

#35 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Scully for sure. For those who may have heard them, Phil Rizzuto and Bill White were laugh out loud funny doing the Yankee games years ago. They worked with other partners, like Fran Healy and Frank Messer. They needed a third guy, because Rizzuto often disappeared after the 7th, to beat the George Washingon Bridge traffic back to New Jersey.

The best teams are those who can fill the time between pitches with stories, anecdotes, insights, etc. They make you feel like you're all in the seats at the park together, yakking about the game. Both NY teams' radio crews do that very well (yes, even Sterling-Waldman), as do Pat Hughes-Ron Santo of the Cubs.

And my surprising up-and-comer these days is is Ted Leitner of the Padres. He has an old-fashioned rapid-fire delivery that reminds me a lot of Red Barber, without the corn-pone references, and would be right at home in New York. If you have XM radio or MLB on your iPhone, give him a listen sometimes.

And I hate to say it, because he will always be my favorite, but on the radio, Vin Scully is starting to rely too heavily on stats and less on the stories and florid descriptions. There are times I actually prefer listening to Charlie Steiner on the Dodgers' radio broadcasts. The slower pace of TV does seem to fit him better now.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#36 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

I would turn the TV down and listen to the radio but the radio is several seconds ahead of the TV. Could someone invent a delay mechanism for radio like the DVR does for TV? I am not a Cubs fan but I love listening to Pat and Ron.

God they're almost as bad as Harrelson. Diiferent strokes I guess;)

Let me add how much I cant stand Sterling and Waldman

#37 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I can understand how Sterling and Waldman can grate on the serious listener who is not a Yankee fan. I am no fan of Sterling's Berman-esque catch phrases, mostly because they're preprogrammed and not spontaneous, the way many vintage broadcasters could invoke their trademarks naturally. When Red Barber called out "Oh, doctor!" and Harry Caray (before his final years) and Phil Rizzuto called out "Holy cow!" they were not invoking the manufactured phrase -- that's how they really talked. As far as Waldman is concerned, I suppose that if I can imagine my Bronx aunt in the broadcast booth, I can get used to Waldman.

Pat Hughes comes close to programmatization with his "It's got a chance -- gone!" HR call. But mostly he does a good job of describing the action and telling a good story. Ron Santo is Ron Santo. He will not give you a PhD. analyzing of the game. On the other hand, Hughes does a good job of evoking Santo's memories of the game and occasionally the insight that he does possess. After all, he had to be doing something right to be one of the best third basemen of all time!

Steve Stone, whom I used to appreciate, does give a PhD analyzing of the game. There's no questioning his knowledge and insight, but his tone seems somewhat condescending these days. And you combine him with Harrelson, who is the biggest shill of all time, and the broadcast becomes thoroughly unlistenable, IMHO.

The few times I listen to the Red Sox games, I do enjoy listening to Joe Castiglione, but probably only because of his unabashed New England accent. I truly can't say there are any other baseball broadcasters I find original or distinctive. Too bad.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#38 OFFLINE   olla86

olla86

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

My favourite crew is Vin Scully;)
These animated gifs are the best!

#39 OFFLINE   ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

I almost always prefer a radio call to TV. It's one of the reasons I love XM.
My favorite of all time: Definitely Vin Scully. He may be starting to rely on statistics (I haven't noticed) but no one calls a game so marvelously. I remember him doing an all-star game on the radio sometime in the ....80's?.... and he said "Isn't this great?" Very naturally. One of the best things about the NLCS was listening to he and Charlie Steiner split the games 3-6-3.

Speaking of the NLCS, how about a nod to the late Harry Kalas? The Phils broadcasts seem empty without him.

Other favorites for play-by-play: Ernie Harwell, Harry Caray (listen to him with the Cards or White Sox..he was a great radio play by play man.), Pat Hughes, John Sterling, Jon Miller on the radio, Jack Buck w/Mike Shannon on the radio...Jack RIP,John Rooney/Mike Shannon, Ted Leitner, Dan Dickerson,Bob Uecker on Brewers radio and, although I think he's overrated here in Cleveland...Tom Hamilton. He sounds in pain when the Tribe is playing horrible. And, Rick Manning is an excellent analyst.

Least favorite: The Hawk and anyone in the booth with him, Josh Lewin, Ed Farmer--can be good but too often sounds like he's bored, Jack Corrigan, Marty Brennaman, Matt Underwood, Kasper and Brenly and many others who all sound alike!

Finally, I usually hate out and out rooting for the team (as opposed to bias, sounding happy when they do well) but somehow it works with Ronnie Santo. I think it has to do with his place in Cubs lore and people appreciating his determination through adversity.

#40 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Vin Scully is the Chick Hearn of baseball. Or is Chick Hearn the Vin Scully of basketball? In any case, Vin Scully doing play-by-play with anyone else doing color (Jerry Doggett and Don Drysdale were my two favorites) is the stuff of which baseball announcing magic is made.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

spam firewall