Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dear moderators:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

When I respond to a thread that you have moved from another forum, the new posts do not seem to post in the new forum, only in the old one, and the listed path seems to be from the old forum, not the new. Is this by design? Or a flaw? I would think that "moved" means "moved", and all new business to that thread would only post to the forum you had "moved" it to. Alas, not so. Please explain. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

1. Can you post an example?
2. This needs to go in the Forum Support area.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

Not real sure what the question is .. When a thread is moved to another forum, the thread becomes as if it were always in that new forum.

The only thing that is left in the old area is a pointer that directs you to the new thread location. "new posts" will not modify the moved pointer post time so it generally falls off the first page after a day or two.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Is it possible that when I come across a thread in a forum that says "moved", that this means it was moved FROM this forum rather than TO this forum? The term "moved" implies just and only that, that it was moved, not that it was moved either to "this" forum or away from "this" forum. So I find that confusing; it appears that the thread was moved TO this forum rather than AWAY FROM it. It would be much clearer if the indication was "moved from XXX to this forum" or "moved from this forum to the XXX forum". It's currently only obvious if you already know whether it was moved TO or FROM the forum.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'm not sure what the point is. If you see the thread, it is the thread. Click on it and you are in the thread.

If you see "Moved" and click on it, you are taken to the thread wherever it may be.

The rest is housekeeping to keep things roughly orderly. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

But to answer Tom's question (I think), if you see the word "moved", that means the thread was moved from the forum you're in to somewhere else. If you're in the forum that the thread was moved to, it won't say "moved".

If you look under the Directv Plus High Def DVR Discussion forum, you'll see this very thread with the word "Moved" in front of it (because that's where you originally posted it). If you look under the Forum Support forum, you'll also see this thread, but it does not say "Moved" because there's no need to have it.

I believe the "moved" verbage is there temporarily in case someone comes back to a certain forum looking for a thread that they recently saw there. There's no need to have it on the other end.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...