Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slimline5 upgrade to SWMLine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mertzf

mertzf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi, all,

I could use a bit of education. We have been experiencing less than ideal picture quality for pretty much as long as I can remember (my criterion is simply that there is rarely an hour of tv watching (recorded show, HD DVRs) that goes by without some kind of a picture quality defect for at least a second, i.e. pixelation, etc. In addition, we are finishing the basement, so a long term plan to fix this while the cables are accessible is probably in order. Hence, I want to upgrade from the current Slimline-5 setup we have (with 4 lines off the dish and the WB68) to the simpler SWMLine setup (1 line off the dish, splitter, power injector) and start the debugging process from there.

My first question is this: Is there a minimum line length of 15' between the Power Injector and the splitter, or is that limit for the other SWM setup (5 and 8)?

My second question is this: do I need to cap the usused ports on the splitter?

As you can tell, I want to do this right, starting with re-grounding everything, but also want to get the install part the way it is supposed to be. FWIW, I want to get this done based on a basement panel, and I want to get the PI in there. I could coil the line if needed. Thanks in advance. Best to everybody.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

15' PI to the LNB.
yes cap unused ports..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   mertzf

mertzf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

15' it will be, then.
Just Radio Shack/HomeDepot 75 ohm caps?

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   mertzf

mertzf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

15' PI to the LNB.

Alright, so it is the line from the dish (LNB) that goes in the PI, then the PI to the splitter?

I thought it was the line from the dish into the IN port of the 4-way splitter, then the PI attached to the power pass port of the splitter (the red ports). Maybe it would work the same...

If there is a on-line installation manual somewhere, feel free to point me to it.

#5 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

total distance from the PI to the SWM (in this case the LNB)..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

. Maybe it would work the same...

It doesn't matter where the PI goes as long as the power flows through power passing ports on any splitters it meets.

If there is a on-line installation manual somewhere, feel free to point me to it.

There's one around here somewhere but I can't find it right now. DO a search and it might come up with some digging. OR PM me and I can see if I can email it.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#7 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Alright, so it is the line from the dish (LNB) that goes in the PI, then the PI to the splitter?

I thought it was the line from the dish into the IN port of the 4-way splitter, then the PI attached to the power pass port of the splitter (the red ports). Maybe it would work the same...

I found this First look documnet all I needed to upgrade my AU9 with a SL3-S SWM.
DBSTalk.com First Look: SWM-enabled Slimline

Also, the SWS-4 splitter that I bought from SolidSignal included the terminators.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#8 OFFLINE   mertzf

mertzf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the help and pointers. Much appreciated.

spam firewall