Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why doesn't Dish have the free HBO-Cinemax preview?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:56 AM

I used to see the free previews on dish a few years ago. Why not now? DirectTV has them.:confused:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:03 AM

Dish has had free premium previews, they just do not announce them like they used to.

#3 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

Had starz this weekend actually. Just gotta keep an eye out. Or, read the uplink report.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#4 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

You can get Cinemax for .01 cent if you go to paperless billing and autopay. No preview necessary:)

#5 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

I used to see the free previews on dish a few years ago. Why not now? DirectTV has them.:confused:

Twice in the past year, I've gotten HBO and Starz for free for three months each time. That sure beats a free weekend. :-)

-- Roger

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

You can get Cinemax for .01 cent if you go to paperless billing and autopay. No preview necessary:)

Or AEP and get 'em all.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, they do a bad job of marketing the free previews. Seems like they could send us e-mails or something to spread the word. I only find out if it's posted here or I stumble on it while channel surfing.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Channel 102.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

Twice in the past year, I've gotten HBO and Starz for free for three months each time. That sure beats a free weekend. :-)

-- Roger

How did you do that?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

How did you do that?

I signed up for the offers when they announced them. Both times, I heard about them first in this forum.

The first time, my commitment was extended to two years by taking the free preview. But that wasn't a big deal, because I had just upgraded my main receiver which had just done the same thing. So, I really only extended the commitment by a couple of months.

The second time, which ends in a few days, there was no extension to my commitment. To sign up, I logged into the Dish web site and clicked "Offers." In a few minutes, the channels were turned on.

I also get Cinemax for 1 cent a year thanks to this forum.

-- Roger

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

I signed up for the offers when they announced them. Both times, I heard about them first in this forum.

The first time, my commitment was extended to two years by taking the free preview. But that wasn't a big deal, because I had just upgraded my main receiver which had just done the same thing. So, I really only extended the commitment by a couple of months.

The second time, which ends in a few days, there was no extension to my commitment. To sign up, I logged into the Dish web site and clicked "Offers." In a few minutes, the channels were turned on.

-- Roger

+1 This is one of the great things about this forum.:)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

-- Roger

Same for me. It was really nice.

#13 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:49 AM

:(

Channel 102.

Chan 102 only lists a few hours of free HBO this weekend. Most has to do with caregivers. What happened to the full 24 hour a day HBO preview for the entire weekend? Doesn't DirectTV have the full preview weekend?
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#14 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

If you hurry up and call E* before 5-13-09 and sign up for autopay OR give them a valid email address you can get 3 months of HBO and STARZ for free.
If you already have an online account with them all you have to do is login, click offers which will be to the left and click the deal that says free HBO & STARZ. Again, there is NO 24 month commitment for this deal for this current offer. There is also NO autopay or paperless billing requirment for exsisting customers.

Edited by jclewter79, 08 May 2009 - 07:15 AM.
Added info

#15 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

If you hurry up and call E* before 5-13-09 and sign up for autopay OR give them a valid email address you can get 3 months of HBO and STARZ for free.
If you already have an online account with them all you have to do is login, click offers which will be to the left and click the deal that says free HBO & STARZ. Again, there is NO 24 month commitment for this deal for this current offer. There is also NO autopay or paperless billing requirment for exsisting customers.

I dont see it in the offers section.

Can i call and get that? if yes, should i call again in 3 months to remove the channels or will it be removed automatically?

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

Can i call and get that? if yes, should i call again in 3 months to remove the channels or will it be removed automatically?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you have to call them before the free period ends and tell them to remove them or they start billing you for them.

#17 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

Thanks

If you call you should be able to get it. You will have to call and cancel you the will start billing you after the promo time. They will credit you 2 months the first month and the 3rd month on the the next bill.

#18 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

Thank you for the plug Charlie, but I'm talking about the free HBO Cinemax preview weekend for ALL dish subscribers? Cable and Direct TV have the free preview weekend for all subscribers.

#19 OFFLINE   Renob2317

Renob2317

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

I signed up for the HBO/Starz free preview today. All I did was go to the online chat with CSR and tell them I would like to receive it. It took about two minutes. She didn't ask me any questions. She just reminded me that I would have to cancel after three months to avoid being charged.

#20 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thank you for the plug Charlie, but I'm talking about the free HBO Cinemax preview weekend for ALL dish subscribers? Cable and Direct TV have the free preview weekend for all subscribers.

Well, Dish had free HBO this weekend for certain shows. I don't know why they did it like that but, that is the way that it happened. $66 worth of free channels seems like a good enough reason to call in.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...