Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Giants @ Cubs Terrible Picture Quality

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

I would think we can keep "bugging them," but the real issue may be there isn't a lot of HD Space left until D12 goes into service. We all want CSN BA/CA in Hd, others want ESPNU in HD, then you have Travel Channel in HD being requested etc. They only have so many slots until the new bird goes up. I also have a feeling that part of the HD fight between CSN and D* is related to the NFL Network. If Comcast can come to an agreement with The NFL they won't be as fearful of losing sports fans to D* and E*. Remember Comcast is the largest CableCo in the SF Bay Area and Sacramento area. That's a lot of customers to lose.... One side note though, Comcast doesn't fully own CSNBA, it's also owned by News Corp and The SF Giants as well. I think CSNCA is owned by The Maloofs (Sac Kings) and Comcast (not sure if there are any other owners).

Edited by sum_random_dork, 06 May 2009 - 02:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dishbd

dishbd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

I don't think this is D*'s issue, unless ESPN pulls their game highlights from D*, but I'm guessing this is not the case. I say this because for the last two days on SportsCenter, the highlights for these games have been a horrible SD picture, and I know ESPN likes to show the HD feed when it's available. So I'm guessing the HD version of these games have not been beamed up to the satellites, at least the ones available to D* & ESPN.

#23 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

I would think we can keep "bugging them," but the real issue may be there isn't a lot of HD Space left until D12 goes into service. We all want CSN BA/CA in Hd, others want ESPNU in HD, then you have Travel Channel in HD being requested etc. They only have so many slots until the new bird goes up.

This comment from another thread..."According to Sixto there is bandwidth available for several HD channels now..." seems to cast a shadow of doubt on your comment.

#24 OFFLINE   schoolyard

schoolyard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • Locationnovato,ca

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

This is a case of Comcast & Direct. in a power struggle and we loose:nono:
MainRoom
Pioneer Elite Vsx92tXh
Samsung LN52B630 52"HD-TV
Pioneer BDP95FD BLUE-RAY
Toshiba A2HD-DVD
Denon DCM460 CD Player
JVC SR-TS1U SVHS Player
Direct TV HR21-700 DVR
Monster HTS2600 Power Conditioner
Luxman PD271 Direct Drive Turn Table
Parasound HCA1000A 2 Channel Amp (Mains)
Rotel RB971MkII 2Channel Amp (side surrounds)
Polk Audio PSW12 Subwoofer
Polk Audio CS400I Center Channel
Cerwin Vega Series327-4/Way(Mains)
Polk Audio FXI30(Side Surrounds
Polk Audio RTI4(Surrounds)

#25 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

This from the A's notes in Friday's San Francisco Chronicle:
"TV DEAL NEAR? Comcast SportsNet California doesn't have any assurances that DirecTV will carry A's games beyond this weekend, but it appears that a deal will be struck soon with the satellite provider. Helping spur things, perhaps: DirecTV is now in the same position as CSN in other regions after taking over several local sports networks."

#26 OFFLINE   DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

DirecTv wouldn't have to compress channels if they would dump alot of the channels that noone hardley watches. Like the Dumb home Shopping Channels and all the religion channels. I bet hardly 5% of viewers or maybe even less watch those channels on a regular basis. I say dump them.

FCC regulations stipulate that direct broadcast satellie providers must maintain a certain percentage of programing be of a religious nature.... oh, and the shopping channels pay the providers for carriage, so they aren't going anywhere.
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 42" 1080p LCD
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 26" 1080i LCD
Linksys 80211N Wireless Router
Linksys WGA600N Wireless Gaming Adapter for DOD & MRV
DOD/MRV & MediaShare w/ WMP11 & Vista Home Premium working just fine.
R15-300 w/ S-Video & RCA Audio

I do not give out proprietary information. All opinions expressed within this forum or in PM are exclusively mine and are not necessarily the opinions of any satellite provider.

#27 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

DirecTv wouldn't have to compress channels if they would dump alot of the channels that noone hardley watches. Like the Dumb home Shopping Channels and all the religion channels. I bet hardly 5% of viewers or maybe even less watch those channels on a regular basis. I say dump them.

There is NO question that D* could easily lose some of the infomercial channels and no one would notice.

As for D* compensation from some of these informercial channels....keep the few that compensate the best and lose the rest.

I would rather pay a few more bucks a month if the pic quality goes up quite a bit with increased band width availablity on both SD and HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...