Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

distant network feeds

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stadt

stadt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

What distant network feeds are available in the central time zone?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Depends if there is locals available in your market or not.

Superstations would be the CW and MNT from NYC and CW from Boston, Denver and LA.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

What distant network feeds are available in the central time zone?

Where do you live? The rules are really strict on "Distants". If you live in an area that is "local-unserved" you may be able to get them. You won't be able to get them through Dish Network because they were banned from providing distant networks for violating the laws on "distants". You have to purchase them through a third-party company called "All American Direct" and you will most likely get the New York feeds(WCBS,WABC,WNBC,WNYW). At the current time All American Direct does not provide these feeds in High-Definition. Check out https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/ and click on "Do I Qualify?" to see if you can get the distant feeds.

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

Depends if there is locals available in your market or not.

Superstations would be the CW and MNT from NYC and CW from Boston, Denver and LA.

Actually, the stations are:

KTLA - Los Angeles - CW
KWGN - Denver - CW
WSBK - Boston - Independent
WWOR - Secaucus, New Jersey (New York Market) - MyTV
WPIX - New York City - CW

WGN was a superstation, but the feed carried by DISH Network only shows the WGN newscasts (most of them), the Cubs and the White Sox when they are no on RSNs.

On 12 June, it is possible that Superstations may go away. No word from DISH about this.

As what previous posters have mentioned WCBS/WNBC/WABC/WNYW (New York) and KCBS/KNBC/KABC/KTTV (Los Angeles) are available from a third party. These channels would appear in the 241 - 249 channel range in Sd format.

At one time, before the FCC and NAB forced DISH to take the channels down, DISH offered Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta (addition to New York and Los Angeles) to customers in various regions who could not get local channels over the air or DISH did not offer the local channels to a customers home city.

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

If the OP didn't know already, the New York affiliates show most of their network programming simultaneously with central time zone stations (like how the promos used to say "8/7 Central"). The only exception is the morning news programs, which you will see live an hour earlier.

#6 OFFLINE   eckertman

eckertman

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWoodstock,IL

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

KTLA - Los Angeles - CW
KWGN - Denver - CW

WGN was a superstation, but the feed carried by DISH Network only shows the WGN newscasts (most of them), the Cubs and the White Sox when they are no on RSNs.

On 12 June, it is possible that Superstations may go away. No word from DISH about this.

As what previous posters have mentioned WCBS/WNBC/WABC/WNYW (New York) and KCBS/KNBC/KABC/KTTV (Los Angeles) are available from a third party. These channels would appear in the 241 - 249 channel range in Sd format.

At one time, before the FCC and NAB forced DISH to take the channels down, DISH offered Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta (addition to New York and Los Angeles) to customers in various regions who could not get local channels over the air or DISH did not offer the local channels to a customers home city.

Just chatted online with them and the csr told me that no superstation would be shutoff. He asked me why I thought they might and when I told him the answer was the same. Wish I had thought to copy and paste it here. Next time.

#7 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

KTLA - Los Angeles - CW
KWGN - Denver - CW

Do the Feds not yet consider CW and MyNetworkTV as networks? If so, KTLA, KWGN, WWOR and WPIX would no longer be available as superstations, per SHVIA (page 26, lines 7-12):

(9) SUPERSTATION.—The term ‘superstation’—
‘‘(A) means a television broadcast station, other than a network station, licensed by the Federal Communications Commission that is secondarily transmitted by a satellite carrier;..."

U.S. Code Title 17 § 119 (d)(2):

2) Network station.— The term “network station” means—
(A) a television station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, including any translator station or terrestrial satellite station that rebroadcasts all or substantially all of the programming broadcast by a network station, that is owned or operated by, or affiliated with, one or more of the television networks in the United States which offer an interconnected program service on a regular basis for 15 or more hours per week to at least 25 of its affiliated television licensees in 10 or more States;

MyNetworkTV doesn't appear to meet the "15 or more hours" requirement.

The CW network has a lot more than 25 affiliates in more than 10 states, and says:

The CW offers a six-night, 13-hour primetime lineup that runs Sunday through Friday; a two-hour weekday afternoon block; and a five-hour Saturday morning animation block that delivers a total of 30 hours of programming a week over seven days.

Although I don't know about the possible June 12 loss of superstations, it looks like the law would allow the Feds to shut down the CW-affiliated superstations at any point.

Maybe this is why D* offers a Distant Network for CW (with required waivers, of course), and why they don't offer a MyNetworkTV distant network? Is D* treating the CW as a "network" while E* still treats it as a "superstation"?

By the definition above ("television broadcast station, other than a network station") it sounds like CW affiliates shouldn't be available as superstations.

If CW is a "network", then because of their distant network situation, E* would possibly be forced to drop the CW-afffiliated superstations KTLA, KWGN, and WPIX.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the Feds choose June 12 to remove the CW-affiliated superstations, but I don't think that date has any specific significance for why it would occur on that date.

And before it is suggested, I am not stating that the CW-affiliated superstations should be removed. I am simply stating that, by my admittedly untrained non-lawyer eyes, it appears that the CW-affiliated superstations might not be considered superstations anymore.

Edited by Kheldar, 06 May 2009 - 09:48 AM.

George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#8 OFFLINE   mrfish67

mrfish67

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

Since neither the CW or MyTV were networks that existed on January 1, 1995, then no, they will not be considered distant network stations. The issue of whether any of these stations were affiliated with an existing network as of that date in 1995 constitutes part of the definition of a superstation.

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

too bad for those of us who do qualify for distants that they aren't available in HD. I talked to AAD about it a while back & they said that DN controlled that

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,318 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

too bad for those of us who do qualify for distants that they aren't available in HD. I talked to AAD about it a while back & they said that DN controlled that

Technically, no. AAD leases ONE transponder on 119 to do with as they please. They have eight MPEG2 SD feeds on that transponder, four network stations from each city. They COULD put eight MPEG4 HD feeds on that same transponder. But by doing that they would lose the SD channels and the majority of their potential subscribers. (Why market to the qualified subset of HD subscribers/DISH HD equipment owners instead of the qualified subset of ALL subscribers/any DISH equipment owners?)

A second transponder would solve that choice but there is not one available. That is where there is a shred of truth in the "DN control". AAD would have to get DN to offer them at least one more transponder.

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

Oh, an the stations you get would be BOTH NYC and San Francisco stations. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. So all your network programming would be on at the same time on the NYC stations, since network programing airs at the same time eastern as it does in the central zone (a la 8pm EDT, 7pm CDT). And all programing would air 3 hours later on the SanFran stations.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#12 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the explanation James. Still it would be nice if it was available.

Technically, no. AAD leases ONE transponder on 119 to do with as they please. They have eight MPEG2 SD feeds on that transponder, four network stations from each city. They COULD put eight MPEG4 HD feeds on that same transponder. But by doing that they would lose the SD channels and the majority of their potential subscribers. (Why market to the qualified subset of HD subscribers/DISH HD equipment owners instead of the qualified subset of ALL subscribers/any DISH equipment owners?)

A second transponder would solve that choice but there is not one available. That is where there is a shred of truth in the "DN control". AAD would have to get DN to offer them at least one more transponder.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...