Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please give me some good reasons to stay with Directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   priester68

priester68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Strong storm came through and blew a tree over that took my dish out. All wiring is fine. Just need a new dish mounted. Called Directv first thing because I knew the wait would be long if I waited. The CSR tried to charge us $75 to replace the dish. I told her no way and that I would cancel. Then she told me there would be some other fee if I did. I got so mad I just hung up and called Dish Network. Never signed up for service just talked about pricing. I love Directv and have never had any problems in 10 years until now. I don't want to leave Directv but I won't be treated like that from a CSR. By the way there was an empty house down the street I took a dish off of and now my service is back on. Suck on that CSR!!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

"I love Directv and have never had any problems in 10 years"
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

An act of God took out your dish - if you had the protection plan you wouldn't have to pay for it, but since it's clear you don't then you'll have to pay. The CSR was probably trying to offer to sign you up for the protection plan and lower your upfront cost to replace the dish while you were hanging up on him/her.

If you're happy with DirecTV in general I'd suggest making a calm decision based on your experience overall, not the fact that you didn't have insurance (protection plan) to cover the loss.

Stealing (or borrowing) the neighbor's dish is probably not something you want to advertise on the internet, as anonymous as you may think it is.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Strong storm came through and blew a tree over that took my dish out. All wiring is fine. Just need a new dish mounted. Called Directv first thing because I knew the wait would be long if I waited. The CSR tried to charge us $75 to replace the dish. I told her no way and that I would cancel. Then she told me there would be some other fee if I did. I got so mad I just hung up and called Dish Network. Never signed up for service just talked about pricing. I love Directv and have never had any problems in 10 years until now. I don't want to leave Directv but I won't be treated like that from a CSR. By the way there was an empty house down the street I took a dish off of and now my service is back on. Suck on that CSR!!!!!

If you are under a 2 year contract and you cancel early there is an Early Termination Fee. I'm not sure if the Protection Plan covers a tree hitting a dish, but it might. In which case having the PP would have been well worth it.

Why do you think your dish should be replaced at D*'s expense? They have to pay for the dish and the tech's labor/parts, etc. Just what was it that you wanted them to do...that wasn't clear from your post.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

I thought those "house calls" were reduced to $50...

no?
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Your homeowner's insurance, or renter's insurance, should cover the dish being damaged by a falling tree.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Your homeowner's insurance, or renter's insurance, should cover the dish being damaged by a falling tree.

I bet any deductible would be more than a measly $75.00.

#8 OFFLINE   priester68

priester68

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

I thought that as I'm locked into a contract that they would have no problem replacing only the dish even though I have no protection plan. I would understand if my boxes went dead but not the dish. And the dish I got came off a house that has been empty for 6 years or more and should be leveled because its so run down.

Sorry to come across like an a-hole. The lady just struck me the wrong way. With a tree on my house and no power for 3 days I didn't want to hear about any fees. Lesson learned here. I'm signing up for protection plan right now. Thanks guys.

#9 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

You only get the 1st dish free. If you don't have the protection plan, then you pay for a replacement.

BTW, $75 is cheaper than you'd pay for a dish if you bought one yourself.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

You only get the 1st dish free. If you don't have the protection plan, then you pay for a replacement.

BTW, $75 is cheaper than you'd pay for a dish if you bought one yourself.

Actually they are on Ebay cheaper right now. I see one for $38 another for $68 free shipping.

#11 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

For $75 they basically would be giving you the dish for free, but they still have to pay someone to install it.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

Why do you think your dish should be replaced at D*'s expense? They have to pay for the dish and the tech's labor/parts, etc. Just what was it that you wanted them to do...that wasn't clear from your post.

One way to look at is if you move, they'll install a dish at the new house for free, and even give you three months of premiums. But if the dish is damaged and you need it replaced, it's $75.

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

True, but if there is other damage (and with a tree on his roof, I'd wager there is-I only had some limbs drop on mine form an ice storm in 2007 and got a $400 repair bill) you can throw in the cost of the service call on the claim.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Can't say I blame the thread-starter for being upset at the cost of a dish simply because of all the freebie offers that Dish and DirecTV have thrown out over the years. It makes it seem as if the equipment cost nobody nothing. (Yay double negatives!)

The way the CSRs operate I'm surprised they didn't offer to give the OP a free new dish for extending the contract another two years. :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Why do you think your dish should be replaced at D*'s expense?

Because they want to keep receiving $75+ from me every month. That's been my position all along, and it has worked out. I can understand why DirecTV would want to charge, but I always refuse to pay for anything. If they value my business, they'll do it for free. And they always have.

#16 OFFLINE   btarheel646

btarheel646

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Look I'm as cheap as anyone, but 75 bucks for a new dish and having it connected seems reasonable. I'm sorry for the situation you are in with the storm and all, but that doesn't seem bad. Hell, I just spent 75 dollars on mulch that doesn't do anything but sit in the flower beds. It doesn't provide me baseball, or football or movies and will have to be redone next year anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, but if there was any other damage (and it sounds like there was) then it could all be lumped into one claim.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Some of the atitudes here are truly sad. No wonder most of the rest of the world thinks we're the scum of the earth, I'm beginning to agree with them. If a tree falls on my dish, its not D*'s responsibility to replace it free of charge, if a receiver breaks and I have chosen not to have the PP, then I pay the S&H. I am sure glad some of you don't live in my neighborhood.

#19 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Congradulations on becomming a Felon !pride

#20 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

An act of God took out your dish - if you had the protection plan you wouldn't have to pay for it, but since it's clear you don't then you'll have to pay. The CSR was probably trying to offer to sign you up for the protection plan and lower your upfront cost to replace the dish while you were hanging up on him/her.

If you're happy with DirecTV in general I'd suggest making a calm decision based on your experience overall, not the fact that you didn't have insurance (protection plan) to cover the loss.

Stealing (or borrowing) the neighbor's dish is probably not something you want to advertise on the internet, as anonymous as you may think it is.

Acts of God are expressly stated as exemptions to the Protection Plan. You really should read the Protection Plan before making statements like that.

http://www.directv.c...contract_v4.pdf

What is Not Covered: (1) Incidental or consequential damages; (2)
Intentional acts or criminal acts by you, damage from accident, abuse,
misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the product, unauthorized
product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the
manufacturer's instructions, third-party actions (fire, collision,
vandalism, loss, theft, etc.); (3) Accessories, including antennas; (4)
Preventative maintenance; (5) Damage which is not reported within
thirty (30) days after expiration of this Plan; (6) Damage to
commercially-used products (unless this Plan has been specifically
endorsed to cover commercial use); (7) External signal interference;
(8) Pre-existing conditions or problems; (9) Repairs associated with
incomplete or unsuccessful installation; (10) Any satellite dish or other
equipment made specifically for or permanently attached to
automobiles, recreational vehicles, including without limitation
watercraft, aircraft, or mobile homes; (11) Television/receiver
combinations where the repair or replacement is needed directly on the
combo unit; (12) Components and wiring related to the computer
service for integrated Broadband products such as Direcway and
DirecPC; (13) DIRECTV portable devices; (14) Satellite dishes mounted
to structures or objects that are not man-made and stationary; (15) any
failures, or parts and/or labor costs incurred as a result of a
manufacturers recall; (16) “Acts of God”.

To the OP, you really got DirecTV by stealing someone else's property. Nice move...That's a great way to treat people. Do you think you would be upset if someone had a flat tire and took one of your's because they were upset Michelin didn't give them a new one for free?

Edited by Ken S, 06 May 2009 - 10:15 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...