Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please give me some good reasons to stay with Directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

Yes it does... If you want it protected, you have to by the PP... or insurance.. same thing as a car...

I think your making the difference based on the values of the property involved...

No, the equipment from DirecTV is in place in order to buy a service which is the predominant piece of the business relationship with DirecTV.

Owning or leasing a car is not the same type of relationship whatsoever.

The Protection Plan does not cover this type of issue...and generally it falls under any home insurance deductible. This leaves the subscriber with only one option paying for replacements and repairs out of pocket...oh and the only source for those replacement parts is DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Wow! just Wow! I can't believe this thread. I also can't believe the justifications some people use to feel better about theft.

I'm also wondering. Was the dish mounted on the roof? If if was did the thief make sure there was no way water could penetrate the roof? Something as innocuous as taking a dish off could turn into quite a huge problem if said roof/decking and homes interior needs replaced. Especially is a home where leaking water would go unnoticed for quite a while.

#83 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Wow! just Wow! I can't believe this thread. I also can't believe the justifications some people use to feel better about theft.

I'm also wondering. Was the dish mounted on the roof? If if was did the thief make sure there was no way water could penetrate the roof? Something as innocuous as taking a dish off could turn into quite a huge problem if said roof/decking and homes interior needs replaced. Especially is a home where leaking water would go unnoticed for quite a while.

That's a good point. Taking a dish off a roof could cause a whole boatload of trouble on down the road. But taking on off the pole is just merely wrong.

And for the record, I've never said it was the right thing to do, but I understand the logic (wrong tho it may be) that the OP saw in taking something from an abanonded property.

This has been, if nothing else, an interesting insight into the moral relativism of the actions. There are the people who believe wrong is wrong no matter how small the action and the ones who believe that taking something is wrong only if someone will miss it. (A dish from an abanonded house won't be missed, a millionaire won't miss a nickel, et cætera.)

#84 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

"Integrity is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught." ~J.C. Watts

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." ~Alan Simpson

"Are right and wrong convertible terms, dependant upon popular opinion?" ~William Lloyd Garrison

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out." ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology." ~Red Auerbach

"I forgot that every little action of the common day makes or unmakes character, and that therefore what one has done in the secret chamber one has some day to cry aloud on the house-tops." ~Oscar Wilde

"You can't learn too soon that the most useful thing about a principle is that it can always be sacrificed to expediency." ~Somerset Maugham

:)

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#85 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Because they want to keep receiving $75+ from me every month. That's been my position all along, and it has worked out. I can understand why DirecTV would want to charge, but I always refuse to pay for anything. If they value my business, they'll do it for free. And they always have.

This.

All these people are getting self-righteous about a 10-year customer expecting the same sort of favors brand new customers get. Cell phone companies and DBS providers are horrible about taking their existing customers for granted. DirecTV is one of the best, admittedly, but I agree with Jeremy W... if they value my business, they'll do it for free.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#86 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

This has been, if nothing else, an interesting insight into the moral relativism of the actions. There are the people who believe wrong is wrong no matter how small the action and the ones who believe that taking something is wrong only if someone will miss it.

And then there were the people who had no interest in supporting or attacking the sanctimony of the moralists here, but saw a possibly interesting legal principle involved.
Greg

#87 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

I just think it goes to show you how it is becomming increasingly difficult and nearly impossible for different groups of people to co exist in close proximity to each other. If anothers morals (what defines stealing for eg) are so completely different from mine, than I just don't see it working in the long run.

Not to long ago for the majority of the population, STEALING was STEALING, whether from a millionaire or a pauper it ain't right. Period.

#88 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

If anothers morals (what defines stealing for eg) are so completely different from mine, than I just don't see it working in the long run.

This just shows that the problem lies with you. I'm not saying you need to change your morals, but you need to understand that the world isn't as black and white as you seem to want it to be. It's people like you who live on your high horses and believe your opinions to be infallible that create the problems.

#89 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

This just shows that the problem lies with you.

I say the problem lies with you, and folks that think like you do. Let's agree to disagree.

I'm not saying you need to change your morals,

Of course I don't, even you know that stealing IS stealing you just care to ignore that fact.

but you need to understand that the world isn't as black and white as you seem to want it to be.

There are "moral imperatives" and biblical laws that are black and white. You obviously don't agree.

As such we will need to agree to disagree.

It's people like you who live on your high horses and believe your opinions to be infallible that create the problems.

"Thou shall not steal." Is not MY "opinion." ;)

#90 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

This just shows that the problem lies with you. I'm not saying you need to change your morals, but you need to understand that the world isn't as black and white as you seem to want it to be. It's people like you who live on your high horses and believe your opinions to be infallible that create the problems.

Spoken like a true Detroiter.......:lol:

The problem is not him or you, its in the coexistence of both ideas which as can be seen here doesn't work.

#91 OFFLINE   Villanman

Villanman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

The OP went to a vacant house and took something that wasn't his, Not sure what laws everyone else lives under, but that can get you arrested in my part of the world.

Edited by Villanman, 17 May 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#92 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Let's just say that this thread has run it's course and call it done.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...