Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rain storm lost signal. First time in 2 years I found something I won't accept

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

What's the deal with the software.

Use to be, I could lose my signal and just simply watch recorded events until the signal came back..

Now that's not possible? What the hell? you've got to be kidding me. If i try to watch ANYTHING in the DVR right now (there's a storm and lost signal) the moment I hit 'play' it takes me right back tot the 'acquiring satellite signal'.

I must admit, this is absolutely unacceptable and did not use to be this way.

Am i the only one noticing this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

You have a good point. My antenna was blown out of kilter during a storm a couiple of months ago and experienced the same thing. I also have an antenna for OTA and with a lot of button pushing I was able to get on one of those channels and then I could watch some recorded events.

Dish needs to do something to the firmware to make it easier to get to your DVR when signal is lost in situations like this!

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

That's strange. I have had no trouble watching recorded content when I have lost signal. It's been a few months, so I may test this tonight.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

According to your sig you have a 625. maybe it's different. I'm using a 722

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

true. Have a friend with a 722, he will try it tonight. I'm still going to try mine, however.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

my DVR on my 722 still works when I have no signal from cloud cover.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   girdnerg

girdnerg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

We had heavy rain last night and my 622 and 722k both allowed me to watch recorded programs when we lost signal.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

My 722 will play a DVR event without a satellite signal.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

If you get the searching for signal screen, press MENU then go to your recordings to play anything there.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

If you get the searching for signal screen, press MENU then go to your recordings to play anything there.

That will also allow selecting an OTA channel.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

The only time you'll get 'searching for signal' during cloud cover is if you're trying to 'start over' on a currently-recording item. You have to stop it and then restart.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

untrue. i was unable to start any recording at all. i tried 10 different recordings.

and no to Jim5506 that does not work. how else do you think I was trying to playback a recording???? You can't play a recording back without being in the recordings to begin with.

this has happened twice during storms, and I guess I could video the problem, but i can promise you i'm not imagining this.

Maybe there's something wrong with my DVR? i know i was able to do this before. i'd done in numerous times.

#13 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

untrue. i was unable to start any recording at all. i tried 10 different recordings.

and no to Jim5506 that does not work. how else do you think I was trying to playback a recording???? You can't play a recording back without being in the recordings to begin with.

this has happened twice during storms, and I guess I could video the problem, but i can promise you i'm not imagining this.

Maybe there's something wrong with my DVR? i know i was able to do this before. i'd done in numerous times.

We had serious rain fade last night in Virginia. Yet, I had no problems selecting previously recorded material to watch. Perhaps this is a case where your DVR has worked itself into an unusual state. Perhaps a reboot will restore the normal state and the capability?

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

We had serious rain fade last night in Virginia. Yet, I had no problems selecting previously recorded material to watch. Perhaps this is a case where your DVR has worked itself into an unusual state. Perhaps a reboot will restore the normal state and the capability?

That's a good suggestion. IMO, Dish's error recovery code isn't very good and it gets quite a few things "out of whack" especially when it loses satellite signal. Rebooting and selecting Menu should help.

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Easy Sparky. I think Jim was making a general comment, not responding directly to your post.

#16 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

good point, i'll have to try that. It's happened at two different times and i know the box had been rebooted between them, but it could easily have been the same problem happening again.....

One thing I'm glad about, is that it's not a universal thing. At least it's something that can be fixed. I was afraid this was on purpose.

The 'sparky' comment is too stupid to respond to.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

I tested this a while back on my 622 and it seemed that my receiver worked better with the LNBs attached and before a reboot. Once the EPG was lost tuning to an OTA channel was more difficult. Recorded material was visible but getting past the complaints of "no signal" wasn't easy. (Although the test I was doing at the time was related to disconnecting the DISH to use the receiver without satellite channels, not for signal fade.)

The key is to make sure you keep a signal available. Personally there have been very few times that I've lost signal and the weather was still good enough that I was interested in TV. Most of the time if the signal goes out the weather is bad enough that I'm watching the weather or hiding in the basement. :)

I can't remember my last signal loss.

#18 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

That brings up a question James. How often does the DVR download EPG data?

It seems like both times this happened, when it DID finally get signal back it immediately went to download data. maybe these are tied together.

I don't think the download happens on the daily update, and my receiver is always plugged in, on and connected to broadband.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Physically, EPG downloads can only happen when at least one tuner is idle. Technically full updates can be done on one tuner while you watch/record on the other tuner. I don't believe DISH does full updates while the receiver is on, which limits updates to that magic time when the receiver is "off" ... generally starting at the nightly reboot and ending when the user turns on the receiver later in the day.

Based on new channel additions (which when added in the afternoon don't get full EPG that evening without forcing guide downloads) there have been a few late morning changes (after my nightly reboot but before the receiver is turned on) where I have had the full EPG without forcing the issue.

Based on that, EPG can come any time ... I don't know what triggers a full download but I do believe having the receiver ON prevents it (unless you see the popup and agree to the interruption). If I had to hazard a guess I would say if the receiver is OFF (standby) when a new "full" EPG is released the EPG will be taken. But that has not been "tested".

BTW: There are three EPGs ... an extended 9 day EPG that DVRs use for their week long guide, a regular 2 day EPG that non-DVRs use for their guide and a "present next" guide that is used for the browse banner and last minute updates.

The "present next" guide is on every transponder and contains every channel but only the current and next program. The "present next" guide is why you get EPG immediately when a channel is added (limited to the present program and the next program).

#20 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Wow great information! thanks!

Im going to do some troubleshooting and see if I can re-create the problem. if I can, based on the responses in this thread, it's clearly a one-off problem and not Dish. So i should be able to get it fixed!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...