Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R22 being discontinued??!!

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

I read this on another thread here linking to a DirecTV forum. Stating that the R22 will no longer be available nation wide. Instead the R16 will be put in it's place. Is this true??!!

http://forums.direct...PostID=10531394
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Reading the thread, it looks like "discontinued" is a strong word. Seems like it'll still be around, but "targeted" in MPEG4 SD local areas. Meaning, any other area, the installers will have newly manufactured R16's on their trucks.

Edited by miketorse, 06 May 2009 - 04:25 PM.

Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

To me it would make more sense to keep the R22 and kill the R16. The R22 will get DoD available,ethernet, mpeg4 which I believe the R16 doesn't do. I would think D* would want to start getting mpeg4 boxes deployed for down the line(years) to move all channels(SD included) to mpeg4.
my setup here

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

It's all about $$$$
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

The software on the R22 is sooo much better than the software on the R15/R16. I really hope that isn't true. I would really like to get rid of my R15 at some point and get another R22.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

The R22 was never intended to be shipped nationwide; it was designed specifically for former 72.5 markets whose SD locals were moved to MPEG4 sats. Since it is really an HR21, it's more expensive to make than an R16.

I'd bet that someone 9 months ago decided to drop the R16 and use the R22 to get MPEG4 receivers out there (smart), but with the economy, that decision was reversed due to cost. It is unfortunate, though, because DirecTV will be better off in the long run by deploying MPEG4-compatible receivers now.

#7 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

The software on the R22 is sooo much better than the software on the R15/R16. I really hope that isn't true. I would really like to get rid of my R15 at some point and get another R22.

- Merg

I have to seriously disagree with you on that! My R16-300 is the strongest, fastest, most solid D* ird I have in my fleet.

#8 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

The R-22 was intended for markets that only get their locals in hd, so as to be able to provide the goal for local channels nationwide. From what I've heard those markets don't even install 18 dishes or standard irds at all anymore.

Also with no rf output on the R22 it is a real pain to hook them up on older tv sets that have no rca inputs.

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

The R-22 was intended for markets that only get their locals in hd, so as to be able to provide the goal for local channels nationwide. From what I've heard those markets don't even install 18 dishes or standard irds at all anymore.

Also with no rf output on the R22 it is a real pain to hook them up on older tv sets that have no rca inputs.

The old 72.5 markets that were moved to 99/103 can't use the 18in dish or a standard IRD because those dishes and receivers can't receive 99/103.
And when battlezone says the SD locals have been moved to 99/103 it's not really correct. What happens is that all the locals are on 99 or 103. Where a station has an HD signal, DirecTV delivers the HD signal and HD receivers recive this OK. But for people who only have an SD subscription, the R22 downconverts the HD signal to SD resolution so people think they are receiving an SD channel, but really there's only one signal. That's why you need an HD receiver like the H21/2/3, and an R22 (which is an HD box with HD disabled) to receive even "SD Locals" in those areas.

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

I have to seriously disagree with you on that! My R16-300 is the strongest, fastest, most solid D* ird I have in my fleet.

Does your R16's guide have the program's First Air Date like the R22?.Already know the R16 can't record 200 hours or be able to access the AM21,external HDD,MediaShare,VOD ect..Unless DirecTV takes over and does the software updates for the R16 and not NDS this is a huge step backwards.:nono2:

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:10 AM

I suspect that those who want an R22 will still be able to buy them through an online retailer. Please also understand that this move does not have any effect on you if you already have an R22.

Finally, one must wonder, how many SD-only customers are just now getting DVRs? It has to be a fairly small number. Common sense would say that with the digital transition (finally) approaching, those who are still SD-only (and that's a lot of people, believe it or not) would be much more likely to make the jump to HD at the same time they make the jump to a DVR.

Put another way, if you're still SD-only, and you wish to remain SD-only, how likely are you to be concerned with advanced features that require a network cable? People here on this site may fit that profile, but I doubt the average subscriber does.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   GodisGreat79

GodisGreat79

Legend

• Banned User
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

I am glad I got mine when I did!!

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

I'm glad you did too, but I don't expect a run on R22s. I'm sure they'll still be easy to get online.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,830 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

My R16-300 is the strongest, fastest, most solid D* ird I have in my fleet.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

A claim like this begs for some perspective on what devices you're comparing the R16 including whether or not you've experienced the Plus HD DVR class machines.

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

Chase has also talked about the R22 being HD upgradable and offered that as a key feature in various investor calls so curious about this move.

Here is my take: I think DirecTV is finding the uptake on HD receivers much higher then they thought. They have stated in previous calls that nearly 50% of their customers have HD/DVR equipment so one can figure that most of those have MPEG4 equipment already (some SD DVR only people certainly).

Thus is most of their new customers and upgraders are getting HD MPEG4 equipment anyway the need for the R22 as a "transition" receiver that is HD upgradable becomes less since people are getting an HR2x as it is.

In this light, makes sense to me.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,830 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

I'm glad you did too, but I don't expect a run on R22s. I'm sure they'll still be easy to get online.

Given the recent hints that new Plus HD equipment seems to be getting harder to get, I'm not sure this is true.

One would think that the HR23 would be widely available online and in stores but it certainly isn't. The fact that people are not-so-infrequently seeing HR20s and HR21s installed contraindicates a glut of new hardware. Then again, maybe it just indicates a glut of returned equipment in the stream.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,830 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

They have stated in previous calls that nearly 50% of their customers have HD/DVR equipment so one can figure that most of those have MPEG4 equipment already (some SD DVR only people certainly).

Are you certain that that's a reasonable thing to figure?

There is a pretty sizeable installed base of MPEG2 DVRs and while they look pretty awful on a modern HDTV, many can't afford the recurring service charges associated with getting a good selection of "true" HD programming.

#18 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Does your R16's guide have the program's First Air Date like the R22?.Already know the R16 can't record 200 hours or be able to access the AM21,external HDD,MediaShare,VOD ect..Unless DirecTV takes over and does the software updates for the R16 and not NDS this is a huge step backwards.:nono2:

Plus you can't (yet?) setup a season pass online via the R15/16 models. I agree it's a step backward as far as software goes. It's about the $$ as another poster put it.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

Given the recent hints that new Plus HD equipment seems to be getting harder to get, I'm not sure this is true.

One would think that the HR23 would be widely available online and in stores but it certainly isn't. The fact that people are not-so-infrequently seeing HR20s and HR21s installed contraindicates a glut of new hardware. Then again, maybe it just indicates a glut of returned equipment in the stream.

Well, that is one of their keys to the leasing program. They can reuse the returned equipment and lower manufacturing costs by not having to make as many new boxes. Perhaps they have reached that point? Don't know.

One other thing we do know is that DirecTV is working on their new platform for next year so they could also already starting to draw down new inventory in anticipation of producing the next generation receivers next year. Again, who knows.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

A claim like this begs for some perspective on what devices you're comparing the R16 including whether or not you've experienced the Plus HD DVR class machines.

Are you certain that that's a reasonable thing to figure?

There is a pretty sizeable installed base of MPEG2 DVRs and while they look pretty awful on a modern HDTV, many can't afford the recurring service charges associated with getting a good selection of "true" HD programming.

Forgive me sir for answering your multiple posts with a single one.

First of all, excellent quote from Minority Report. I often repeat it to myself as I drive 15mph on the freeway while other lanes are going even slower. Edit: Paulman's right... it's from Erasmus, but that shot of the guy with no eyes in the movie is cool.

As to the basic assumption which it references, I can only point out the dearth of posts concerning issues with the R16. It seems to be regarded as a very stable, back to basics DVR. It seems further that many people in other forums — you may have been one of them — claim that they would rather have a solid DVR with limited function than a full-featured media center that gives them problems. It seems to me that for SD customers, R16 is that product.

As for the availablility of the R22 DVR online, all I can say is there is not a current shortage of either R22s or HR2x receivers. I know that it's been frequently pointed out that HR23 receivers are hard to find online. The HR23 receiver is not the "latest and greatest" per se, it is feature-for-feature the same as the HR22. While it does not require BBCs, neither does an HR22 in a new setup (as SWM-enabled dishes are quite common in new installs.) As for those much-maligned BBC's, I am personally using the same ones on my HR21 that were provided with my first HR20 and they have never failed.

As for your assessment, "There is a pretty sizeable installed base of MPEG2 DVRs and while they look pretty awful on a modern HDTV, many can't afford the recurring service charges associated with getting a good selection of 'true' HD programming," very true but these people already have DVRs that are neither changed nor invalidated by DIRECTV's choice of new equipment, and it remains to be seen what these subscribers will do, and at what point they will choose to upgrade to HD. If their DVRs fail, they will be provided with a refurb, as they always have.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 May 2009 - 08:31 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...