Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thanks, rainfade, seriously (not)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BreezeCJ

BreezeCJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

In the Philly area tonight, not only did I get to miss the end of recording American Idol for the wife, but more importantly, the last 15 minutes of 'Lost' were (ahem) LOST!

As an individual who is seriously invested in 5 friggin' seasons of Lost, I couldn't be more livid. Now I'll have to wait 2 days and watch it on my computer...not really the same.

Just thought I'd vent. God, I'm pissed. Yet I stay with DTV, am I a fool?

:mad:
Zip 08096
Panasonic 50" G20 plasma HDTV
HDMI connection
1080p - Native Off
HR21-200 DVR CE
Antec MX-1 closure FreeAgent 750GB HD eSata
Network: Wireless Belkin n150 router
Technics SA-DX930 Optical
Logitech Harmony

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   priester68

priester68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I got mad at Directv too the other day and started asking questions on the Dish forum about switching. Seems that Dish people have the same problems as we do. If you were watching it in HD then it sucks you missed it. I found that SD programs will fight the rain fade better than HD. If I can't get a signal on an HD channel, i can turn to a SD channel and it will come in. If you have a choice, you may try to record your show in both HD and SD so that next time you might be able to watch the whole thing rain fade or not. Just an idea. Good Luck.

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

You're not a fool for staying. It happens to us all eventually. I think that's the only thing cable has on satellite companies is no rain fade, but then again I hear so many people saying their cable company has a bunch of outages so maybe I'm wrong on that. If you were recording your shows in HD keep in mind that the satellites those channels are coming from are alot more susceptible to rain fade.

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

Let me tell you something feller' Rain Fade happens to us all. There is almost no way around it when it comes a thunderstorm. DirecTv with the HD is still the best choice out there. I'll gladly settle for a few rain fadeouts than i will piss poor service from the local cable company that charges more for less channels. So you missed the end of a "Lost" episode. Big Deal as you said look at in on the computer in a day or two. I'll still take DirecTv any day of the week over any other Television service provider.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

If there is nothing else set to record at that time you could do a redundant recording and do the SD channel as well.

#6 OFFLINE   apferrando

apferrando

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

In the Philly area tonight, not only did I get to miss the end of recording American Idol for the wife, but more importantly, the last 15 minutes of 'Lost' were (ahem) LOST!

As an individual who is seriously invested in 5 friggin' seasons of Lost, I couldn't be more livid. Now I'll have to wait 2 days and watch it on my computer...not really the same.

Just thought I'd vent. God, I'm pissed. Yet I stay with DTV, am I a fool?

:mad:

You can watch it today on abc.com... and in high def... unless of course you're busy today ;) ... I had to do the same thing just a few weeks ago, wasn't as awful as I thought it was gonna be.

#7 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

Can you get FiOS?

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

It rained harder last night than I have ever seen before in NJ. The sound of the rain hitting the roof was like being under a waterfall.

#9 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

This is why I really like that we have HR20s with OTA tuners. It might be worth getting an AM 21. On the rare occaision we do get rain fade, it is nice to be able to keep watching.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

Yet I stay with DTV, am I a fool?

Not really.

Which would you rather have:
1) 5-10 minutes of rain fade
2) Cable out for a week

I know which one I'd pick.

Had some windstorms a few weeks ago go thru here. Trees bring down cables. Cable TV/Internet out for days. Some people I know were down over a week.
Me, I never lost anything. Didn't even have any rainfade on that one (wasn't a big rain event).

Needless to say yet more dishes have gone up in the area since that one.

So again, I'll take the couple times a year rain fade event over losing TV completely for days on end. Maybe that's just me, but some perspective may be needed on this issue.

#11 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

Lost is the only show I do this with, but this is what I do: I record my DirecTV supplied ABC HD Station on my HR22, also record the OTA ABC HD station on the same HR22 via AM-21, and finally record the SD channel upstairs on my R-15. Lost is the one show I don't want to miss a second of! :-)
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#12 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

If there is heavy rain predicted in my area, I will switch my network recordings of shows I don't want to miss (like Lost) from Sat to OTA. I forgot to do this once, then had to watch Lost on the "little screen" (ie PC monitor)!

:)

#13 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

I've seen our NBC station lose their connection to New York due to rain fade before. They just put up a radar image with a scroll saying due to heavy rain at their studio they have lost their satellite connection to NBC New York. This was a smaller market NBC station (Not Kansas City)

#14 OFFLINE   BreezeCJ

BreezeCJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Not really.

2) Cable out for a week

I was being facetious. I love DTV & was just pissed that I missed the end of my favorite show. I've been a customer since the early 90's, and actually the rainfade issue is not nearly as bad as it was way back then!
Zip 08096
Panasonic 50" G20 plasma HDTV
HDMI connection
1080p - Native Off
HR21-200 DVR CE
Antec MX-1 closure FreeAgent 750GB HD eSata
Network: Wireless Belkin n150 router
Technics SA-DX930 Optical
Logitech Harmony

#15 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

If there is nothing else set to record at that time you could do a redundant recording and do the SD channel as well.

Or better yet, an OTA channel as back up.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#16 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:32 AM

Or better yet, an OTA channel as back up.

DITTO...

BTW...what is 'LOST'?:D

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

I almost never see rain fade anymore.

I haven't had more then some blocking or stuttering in almost two years...except for that time the wet snow filled up my dish. :grin:

Before the AU9 we had rain fade a few times a year. Since then it’s almost disappeared.

Does anyone know if the Slimline is less susceptible or is it maybe that the installer did a better job this time?

To the OP, I don’t think you’re a fool. In my case, DirecTV has been and continues to be the best option. :)

Vent away if you need to. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   kpantz

kpantz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

Had rain fade in the Lehigh Valley that same night, only about an hour later. Made (helped?) me (mercifully) miss the end of the Yanks game on YES HD. Switched to SD for a while and was OK. Event lasted about 10 minutes.

I have no legitimate OTA capabilities. Maybe a couple NE PA local stations, but no major networks available. Combination of distance and terrain are killin' me out here!

#19 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

Not really.

2) Cable out for a week

Had some windstorms a few weeks ago go thru here. Trees bring down cables. Cable TV/Internet out for days. Some people I know were down over a week.
Me, I never lost anything. Didn't even have any rainfade on that one (wasn't a big rain event).

Needless to say yet more dishes have gone up in the area since that one.

So again, I'll take the couple times a year rain fade event over losing TV completely for days on end. Maybe that's just me, but some perspective may be needed on this issue.

That's why I got D* back in 1997 I have a dish up state at our farm house and one in our Deer camp just grab the receiver and your set instant TV anywhere and like you say when the wires are down from a big ice storm my dish and generator keeps us going and watching D*.

#20 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

You think you dealt with rain fade. Earlier this week, one of my local affiliates had rain fade on their dish that they use to get network programming. Since I was recording OTA on my HR20 because of the bad weather, I know they just went to a weather update until they could get the network signal back.

spam firewall