Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thanks, rainfade, seriously (not)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

Not really.

Which would you rather have:
1) 5-10 minutes of rain fade
2) Cable out for a week

I don't know why people always think cable will be "out for a week". I suppose if you live out in the middle of nowhere maybe that's an issue, but when our cable wire got ripped off the pole by a truck last month, they had it back up and running within a couple hours. I have never seen cable go out for more than a couple hours.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

I almost never see rain fade anymore.

I haven't had more then some blocking or stuttering in almost two years...

That is hard to believe. I have signals 95+ and I actually find the slimline dish and HD channels to be MORE susceptible to rain fade than with my previous round dish. Perhaps you just are not getting large storms in your area, or you are not watching TV when those storms occur.

#23 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

I got the HR20 when it first came out, and used to get rain fade quite a bit. I had my old AU9 sidecar dish replaced with a Slimline, and now it almost never goes out. If it does, we probably have a tornado or severe thunderstorm warning.

We've been having flooding in the area all week, but my signal hasn't cut out. I have an OTA antenna as a backup, just in case. It also gives me all the subchannels that D* doesn't.

#24 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

I don't know why people always think cable will be "out for a week". I suppose if you live out in the middle of nowhere maybe that's an issue, but when our cable wire got ripped off the pole by a truck last month, they had it back up and running within a couple hours. I have never seen cable go out for more than a couple hours.

Because you were the only one effected in your case. When a storm rips thru and hundreds if not thousands are effected, you're waiting days/a week or more unless you get lucky and your block is first up.

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Last year we had a huge storm. Our power was out for a week. Once it came back, our TV was working. Our neighbors had to wait several days after they got power back for the cable company to fix those lines, some were out for another 4-5 days.

Rain fade for me is so rare that it's minor. My big compaint was a small power glitch would cause me to lose several minutes of a recording as it rebooted, a small UPS fixed that.

#26 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Here's the link to watch the LOST episode for free in HD at abc.com. I accidentally erased an episode a while back and was thankful to for this site.

http://abc.go.com/pr.../index?pn=index

#27 OFFLINE   duffytoo

duffytoo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

When I had Dish, it only took a rain cloud passing by to give me rainfade. Been with Direct 6 months and haven't had any rainfeed. Just a little blocking. Granted we don't get much rain in Texas, but we've had 3 or 4 nice storms lately.

#28 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

I live in Atlanta and I also have to deal with rain fade. I only watch HD channels. Just the other day I had someone from DirecTV come out to realign my dish, and once we talked I said never mind. I didn't want to possibly make things worse. Everyone probably knows that the HD channels are on transponder 103©. I have checked my signal strenth on all transponders and have signals in the 90's on all but 103© and 99 ©. Those are in the low 70's on a clear day, when the others are in the 90's. The tech said his meter will show him the signals of all but 103© and hitting that satellite is more of a fine tuning of the dish. Since my signal is great on all other sats, I think that's as good as I'm going to get. Maybe some day when most DirecTV customers are like us and only watch HD signals, those signals will be moved to a satellite that's easier to receive and we won't have this problem any longer. I hope that day is sooner, rather than later. But I still think DirecTV is the best option out there for HD, not only in how many stations that carry, but (more importantly) the better picture quality of those stations.

#29 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

I live in Atlanta and I also have to deal with rain fade. I only watch HD channels. Just the other day I had someone from DirecTV come out to realign my dish, and once we talked I said never mind. I didn't want to possibly make things worse. Everyone probably knows that the HD channels are on transponder 103©. I have checked my signal strenth on all transponders and have signals in the 90's on all but 103© and 99 ©. Those are in the low 70's on a clear day, when the others are in the 90's. The tech said his meter will show him the signals of all but 103© and hitting that satellite is more of a fine tuning of the dish. Since my signal is great on all other sats, I think that's as good as I'm going to get. Maybe some day when most DirecTV customers are like us and only watch HD signals, those signals will be moved to a satellite that's easier to receive and we won't have this problem any longer. I hope that day is sooner, rather than later. But I still think DirecTV is the best option out there for HD, not only in how many stations that carry, but (more importantly) the better picture quality of those stations.

You should also have low to mid 90s on 103© and 99©. 70s is too low and why it goes out so quickly with rain. There is fine tuning, a couple dither bolts that is needed to tweak 103 and 99. It won't effect your other sats at 101/110/119. Besides, if all you watch is HD I'd much rather have 90s on 99/103 and 70s on the others. But you can have 90s across the board.

#30 OFFLINE   Retro

Retro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

Here in Louisiana we get a lot of Rain of course, but only during heavy downpours or just before it rains when the atmosphere is heavy with moisture just before a big rain do we get rain.. A perfectly aligned dish will minimize the problem... When we had cable pre -1997 it went out a lot after heavy rains for whatever reason, so the quality of the lines probably had some effect especially in our rural area..

In addition, we get the occasional Hurricane, but even it's minor your going to lose power and definitely cable for a few days as cable falls behind eletric and phone as far a priority.. With Directv and a generator you control things more yourself.... With cable, if a tree falls on a line 2 miles away, or someone runs into a pole down the line, your still at the mercy of the cable company..... At least with Directv, it's either on your end or their end directly, no in between.

#31 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

I live about 50 miles northeast of Chattanooga and I had the dish tweaked last summer, it had about the same signals you had before the tweak and I suffered from a lot of rain fade, the tweak got it in the mid 80's and lower 90's and the difference was significant, the only time I have problems with rain fade now is during really heavy rain, gully washers :) If you can get into the mid to upper 80's it will help a lot and it will usually pop back in even quickly if you do suffer rain fade. It made a major difference for me and reduced the irritation factor 10 fold.

#32 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

#1 reason to stay with Directv: It is easy. It is canceling that is hard!!!

#2 DBSTALK

Edited by Aztec Pilot, 12 May 2009 - 02:01 PM.
wrong thread

---------------------------------------------
My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Lucky guy. My neighbors cable was cut by the FIOS installers and Comcast took a week to come out and fix it. Funny thing is in this area both Verizon and Comcast use the same subcontractors to lay the cable underground, so the guys who cut it in the first place came back and replaced it:lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

We had a lot of rain in NY last week, and I was plagued on and off with rain fade on some recordings. I called DirecTV on Friday to see if they would send someone out to get my 99° signals up from the low 80's (on a good day), and there was a tech in my driveway at 7:45 Sunday morning! :lol:

He was great. After climbing up on the roof, he determined that whoever installed my dish didn't use the right screws to secure the LNB arm to the dish, and that it was wobbling. So some of my "rain fade" problems were actually wind-related problems!

He replaced the dish completely, and went 3-LNB instead of the 5-LNB I had. I'm now in the mid to high 90's on 99°, 101° and 103°, so very happy! /steve
/steve

#35 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

BreezeCJ,

I have Dish and rain fade is an issue for me too, like any Ku band transmissions. Just a fact of life. My beef is that even during droughts, Mother Nature somehow musters up just enough rain to zap the one or two hours of programming a week that I really want to see. Worse yet, because of the DVR I might not even know it until I finally set aside time to watch and voila! "Programming lost or corrupted due to signal loss."

Terrific.

#36 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

We had a lot of rain in NY last week, and I was plagued on and off with rain fade on some recordings. I called DirecTV on Friday to see if they would send someone out to get my 99° signals up from the low 80's (on a good day), and there was a tech in my driveway at 7:45 Sunday morning! :lol:

He was great. After climbing up on the roof, he determined that whoever installed my dish didn't use the right screws to secure the LNB arm to the dish, and that it was wobbling. So some of my "rain fade" problems were actually wind-related problems!

He replaced the dish completely, and went 3-LNB instead of the 5-LNB I had. I'm now in the mid to high 90's on 99°, 101° and 103°, so very happy! /steve

Nice!

Be sure to rerun guided setup on all your receivers and indicate that you now have the Slimline 3. By not doing that and they assume you still have a Slimline 5 it may try to get guide data off 119 which you no longer get. That would be bad.

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Nice!

Be sure to rerun guided setup on all your receivers and indicate that you now have the Slimline 3. By not doing that and they assume you still have a Slimline 5 it may try to get guide data off 119 which you no longer get. That would be bad.

Ya. Had to do that on 7 different boxes! The tech was surprised when he came down from the roof and saw me already changing the set-ups. He also said I was the first area customer he had that didn't complain about having 110 and 119 "taken away". :lol: /steve
/steve

spam firewall