Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DNS pricing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   georget3

georget3

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

I've been with D* for 13 years. I live in the NY DMA and obtained wavers for all 4 networks 13 years ago long before my locals were available. At that time only NBC was considered a local station from NY. I also received at that time the west coast channels from Seattle, SF and LA. 8 years or so ago all the NY locals were added and the west coast feeds changed and came out of LA. I still get the DNS from LA in STD and my NY locals in HD on the lower channels and on 390-398. My question is, I am paying $3.50 per network channel (LA/NY) when I read it's only $2.99 per channel. With my package I should be getting my NY locals included. I called D* and was told the $3.50 is the charge for NY/LA DNS. Is this charge correct?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,367 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

I've been with D* for 13 years. I live in the NY DMA and obtained wavers for all 4 networks 13 years ago long before my locals were available. At that time only NBC was considered a local station from NY. I also received at that time the west coast channels from Seattle, SF and LA. 8 years or so ago all the NY locals were added and the west coast feeds changed and came out of LA. I still get the DNS from LA in STD and my NY locals in HD on the lower channels and on 390-398. My question is, I am paying $3.50 per network channel (LA/NY) when I read it's only $2.99 per channel. With my package I should be getting my NY locals included. I called D* and was told the $3.50 is the charge for NY/LA DNS. Is this charge correct?

Yes it is. Thats what they charge for both coasts for DNS feed for each affiliate. It was $2.99 but it went up when the price increase hit in march.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

If you live in the NY DMA then you're paying a lot of money per mo to have LA SD feeds. You could have more locals then you get now for $3 or $6 depending on what package you have.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

I assume that the OP gets the NY HD networks now as part of his locals, so unless he needs the LA SD versions, drop the DNS and save $3.50/network/month.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...