Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Wins Industry Award for Broadcast Center

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

Broadcast Engineering has given DIRECTV an award for its broadcast automation facility:

DIRECTV began construction of its new HD playout area in May 2007 with a tight deadline: nine months from inception to deployment of up to 80 fully redundant new HD channels based on a system architecture that was flexible enough to rapidly accommodate a range of further services when the need arose. The number of channels, the short timescale and the decision to run the operation on IT server hardware made this an innovative and ambitious project.

Read more here.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

A very aggressive project indeed.

Not only was that a ambitious timeline, but clearly, they threw some significant money into this project.

From the description, this investment should pay long term dividends to their broadcast infrastructure.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Any pics?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#4 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

On one hand very interesting;

But I must say that I could read these sorts of technical but rather generally worded articles like this and others a hundred times over heralding and/or congratulating such technological breakthroughs in broadcast automation this way and still have trouble fully comprehending exactly what in this case is "OmniBus iTX" software (I assume? :confused: ) running on file servers (HP ProLiant in this case) actually does.

I wonder is it just me or is it difficult to really grasp the true significance of all this unless you are an engineer or technician familiar with this system who actually works there within DirecTV's L.A. broadcast facility?

#5 OFFLINE   jello2594

jello2594

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

On one hand very interesting;

But I must say that I could read these sorts of technical but rather generally worded articles like this and others a hundred times over heralding and/or congratulating such technological breakthroughs in broadcast automation this way and still have trouble fully comprehending exactly what in this case is "OmniBus iTX" software (I assume? :confused: ) running on file servers (HP ProLiant in this case) actually does.

I wonder is it just me or is it difficult to really grasp the true significance of all this unless you are an engineer or technician familiar with this system who actually works there within DirecTV's L.A. broadcast facility?

Yay! Finally a post l I can answer. Omnibus is a company that creates automation hardware (and now, software - iTX). Automation is basically what makes TV shows, commercials, graphics (like bugs and promos) come out of a facility in the correct order. What a TV network does is create a schedule. This is the basic running order of the day or what show plays at what time, what graphics will appear on screen at what time, what commercial breaks to play, what subtitles or captions to put into the signal for certain viewers, when to go to local broadcasters, etc. In the very near past, this required a lot of software and hardware to ensure that it goes on correctly.

What Omnibus has done is create a piece of software, called iTX, which runs on a computer server, usually an HP DL365, using the video card Xena 2K. The way this server runs, is it basically takes this schedule (called a playlist) and puts it into a database. Then it takes all of the video and audio media, usually as MPEG2 or MPEG4, along with all of the graphics - Targa sequence, JPGs, and plays them out of the PCI card as HD-SDI.

The software is very very expensive, and is almost always custom tailored to each network's specific needs. Some networks own a facility where they play everything themselves, and send that signal either to a satellite, or via fiber optic to a cable or satellite operator. Some US networks that may not be able to afford their own facility or for some other reason can't support it (space requirements, personnel, etc.) will go to a playout location, such as the one DirecTV is running (or even in Europe or Asia for disaster-recovery). DirecTV employs hundreds of people, and has built all of the infrastructure and equipment to play out channels, insert commercials, graphics, etc.. In addition, they also field technical phone calls from cable operators all over the US in case of any issues or questions.) DirecTV has opted to use a new product, iTX to do this. The article says they have 80 (or 120) fully redundant servers. This means that they actually have 160 (or 240) of these servers. Each server has an exact duplicate, that plays out the same thing as it's twin at the same time. The setup at DirecTV will ensure that if theres ever a hiccup or server crash on a channel, the backup unit will automatically go "online" and be on the air while the problem unit is repaired (usually by itself without human intervention).

Due to the fact that it's software based for many of the components, it's actually cheaper to buy a separate server for each channel, as it will afford many many backup units to sit in place in case there's a problem, so the TV you watch at home sees minimal interruption.

Yes, I've used iTX and I think it's very well written, though it's only at version 1.2 or so at this point...

#6 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

good answer jello2594, thank you.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yay! Finally a post l I can answer. Omnibus is a company that creates automation hardware (and now, software - iTX). Automation is basically what makes TV shows, commercials, graphics (like bugs and promos) come out of a facility in the correct order. What a TV network does is create a schedule. This is the basic running order of the day or what show plays at what time, what graphics will appear on screen at what time, what commercial breaks to play, what subtitles or captions to put into the signal for certain viewers, when to go to local broadcasters, etc. In the very near past, this required a lot of software and hardware to ensure that it goes on correctly.

What Omnibus has done is create a piece of software, called iTX, which runs on a computer server, usually an HP DL365, using the video card Xena 2K. The way this server runs, is it basically takes this schedule (called a playlist) and puts it into a database. Then it takes all of the video and audio media, usually as MPEG2 or MPEG4, along with all of the graphics - Targa sequence, JPGs, and plays them out of the PCI card as HD-SDI.

The software is very very expensive, and is almost always custom tailored to each network's specific needs. Some networks own a facility where they play everything themselves, and send that signal either to a satellite, or via fiber optic to a cable or satellite operator. Some US networks that may not be able to afford their own facility or for some other reason can't support it (space requirements, personnel, etc.) will go to a playout location, such as the one DirecTV is running (or even in Europe or Asia for disaster-recovery). DirecTV employs hundreds of people, and has built all of the infrastructure and equipment to play out channels, insert commercials, graphics, etc.. In addition, they also field technical phone calls from cable operators all over the US in case of any issues or questions.) DirecTV has opted to use a new product, iTX to do this. The article says they have 80 (or 120) fully redundant servers. This means that they actually have 160 (or 240) of these servers. Each server has an exact duplicate, that plays out the same thing as it's twin at the same time. The setup at DirecTV will ensure that if theres ever a hiccup or server crash on a channel, the backup unit will automatically go "online" and be on the air while the problem unit is repaired (usually by itself without human intervention).

Due to the fact that it's software based for many of the components, it's actually cheaper to buy a separate server for each channel, as it will afford many many backup units to sit in place in case there's a problem, so the TV you watch at home sees minimal interruption.

Yes, I've used iTX and I think it's very well written, though it's only at version 1.2 or so at this point...

Thanks for explaining all this :);

But tell me though, with the exception of certain *original* programming * from the DirecTV broadcast center like "The 101," "PPV channels," The "DirecTV Basics" continuous loop (on ch. 100), etc., what other areas of programming does DirecTV need to actually control the playout with a system like this?

I thought most of what they do is essentially broadcast material that is provided to them in real time from various program suppliers (premium and basic cable channels, RSNs, LiLs, etc. where the playouts would be controlled by the suppliers. Or does DirecTV record a lot of programming they receive for later broadcast on their own playout schedule which is what necessitates an automation system like this?

Hope you understand my further questions here :grin:

#8 ONLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for explaining all this :);

But tell me though, with the exception of certain *original* programming * from the DirecTV broadcast center like "The 101," "PPV channels," The "DirecTV Basics" continuous loop (on ch. 100), etc., what other areas of programming does DirecTV need to actually control the playout with a system like this?

I thought most of what they do is essentially broadcast material that is provided to them in real time from various program suppliers (premium and basic cable channels, RSNs, LiLs, etc. where the playouts would be controlled by the suppliers. Or does DirecTV record a lot of programming they receive for later broadcast on their own playout schedule which is what necessitates an automation system like this?

Hope you understand my further questions here :grin:

commericals are added

spam firewall